babhits16

Lawrence Cedarhurst FD to hire career staff.

8 posts in this topic

I read this as LCFD being a private organization, not a municipal entity. Can anyone confirm?

3 hours ago, 201/65 said:

I read this as LCFD being a private organization, not a municipal entity. Can anyone confirm?

Where do you read anything like that?

In the article or describes ths department as having contracts with 2 villages and 2 fire districts. I assumed this was similar to other contracted private fire companies with contractual fire protection districts. 

Lawrence Cedarhurst is its own Fire District, which includes a small amount of unincorporated/ town controlled area.  In addition, they contract with the Village's of Lawrence and Cedarhurst, and the other two mentioned Fire Districts.

These SAFER grants always concern me. This one is only good for 2 years, what if they lose funding after that? Most of the time when the grant is awarded officials say that plans will be  in place to sustain funding by the municipalities, but these plans usually never come to fruition and then you hear about people losing jobs.

And how would they hire?  An existing list? NY only gives the Firefighter exam only once every 4 years that locals can tag on. So, would they have to hire on provisionally?

AFS1970 likes this

6 hours ago, x635 said:

These SAFER grants always concern me. This one is only good for 2 years, what if they lose funding after that? Most of the time when the grant is awarded officials say that plans will be  in place to sustain funding by the municipalities, but these plans usually never come to fruition and then you hear about people losing jobs.

And how would they hire?  An existing list? NY only gives the Firefighter exam only once every 4 years that locals can tag on. So, would they have to hire on provisionally?

LCFD has a decent budget from my understanding.  Very 'upper middle class' area, with certain neighborhoods bordering on wealthy.  They current have paid EMS staff, including paid ALS- but I don't know any specifics.  The bottom line is they should have the money to sustain this in the future. I'd highly doubt they'd try to get this grant if they knew it couldn't be sustained long term.

Nassau County Civil Service has a firefighter exam, but it is specified for Garden City (as far as I know)- Garden City is the only other paid FD that uses Nassau County Civil Service (Long Beach uses the cities civil service).  Not sure whether they would be able to use that list or have to create a new one.

IMO, I think this is really intended to fund paid EMS services.  They have a very active FD with no issues getting out.  I'm going to guess they'll be hiring FF/ EMT's or FF/ Paramedics.  This will be interesting to follow- hopefully more places will follow suit.

x635 likes this

7 hours ago, x635 said:

NY gives the testing at least twice a year. It is up to the counties or cities to schedule them. The "4 year list" is a bit of a myth. The four year lists are actually a one year list that is extended to its maximum allowable 4 years.

x635 likes this