SOUSGT

Cuomo sends in state police to step up HOV enforcement in Staten Island

15 posts in this topic

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.--  Enough is enough -- that's Gov. Andrew Cuomo's message to those abusing the Staten Island Expressway's HOV lane, which opened in September of 2015.

Starting today, the governor has directed the New York State Police to partner with the New York City Police Department to "step up enforcement of the expressway's HOV lanes, and put a stop to this reckless and arrogant behavior once and for all."

"Plain and simple, this is a blatant disregard for the law that could cause a real danger to all drivers on the Staten Island Expressway," Cuomo said in a statement in which he credits Assemblyman Michael Cusick for bringing the issue to his attention. In addition to Cusick, Cuomo also thanked State Police Troop NYC and the NYPD for "making this a public safety priority."

by Susan Lunny Keag | skeag@siadvance.com 
on October 27, 2016

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/gov_cuomo_sends_in_state_polic.html

Highway 5 should be able to enforce this on their own shouldn't they

Some of the extra state troopers are currently patrolling the Staten Island Expressway, after local Assemblyman Michael Cusick griped to Cuomo that city cops and firefighters were illegally using its HOV lanes, a source said.

Cuomo — who has never needed an excuse to jab de Blasio — also expects to add a total of 150 new troopers to the 100 already stationed here to target potential terror hot spots that he thinks de Blasio can’t handle, such as the East Side bridges and tunnels, sources said.

Pissing match.

And that's why New York is like it is.......one has to remember...Only 1 princess in the palace......

Asinine.  Put more troopers in the city with almost 40K cops.  Meanwhile, on the Sprain, Taconic, 684, 84, etc. your wife may wait for an hour before seeing a trooper if her car breaks down and rush hour is like the autobahn.

When is his term up?

fire patrol nyc likes this

I wonder if he realizes the Palisades Speedway  AKA : Parkway,  is located in the State of NY.

I travel this parkway, twice daily and never see any patrols or traffic enforcement.

On 12/23/2016 at 10:17 PM, Steve said:

I wonder if he realizes the Palisades Speedway  AKA : Parkway,  is located in the State of NY.

I travel this parkway, twice daily and never see any patrols or traffic enforcement.

The PIP has its own bi-state police agency.  Just like the Port Authority.  Sending troopers there would probably require the approval of Gov. Christie.  

3 hours ago, SOUSGT said:

The PIP has its own bi-state police agency.  Just like the Port Authority.  Sending troopers there would probably require the approval of Gov. Christie.  

There are troopers assigned to the NYS side.

But apparently since they all work in NYC now, they don't patrol it much.

I was referring to the NY/ Rockland County portion of the PIP.

Here in MA, the highways going into Boston have "zipper lanes" (similar to the one on the TZB).  Each day, during operating hours of the HOV lane, a state trooper is parked at the HOV entrance and monitors each and every car that enters.  If the car is non-compliant, there is a "bail out" lane where the vehicle is merged back into the regular travel lanes.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people weave back and forth between the HOV lane and the regular lanes on the LIE.  It's posted that it's illegal, but people do it all the time.

If people followed the rules, none of this would be necessary.