batt2

Fairfield CT Fire Department PSA

3 posts in this topic

During the 1970s, my brother and I were Volunteer Firefighters in Fairfield, Ct. It was a combination department of career and volunteer firefighters that got along very well together. Many of us as volunteers, were encouraged to become career firefighters and the fact is that many of us did just that. Some are retired now and rose through the ranks quickly.

The Fairfield Fire Dept was ALWAYS very progressive in their thinking. EMT was encouraged when the term first came out and the Fairfield FD was one of the first in Connecticut to assume responding to medical emergencies. The use of air packs was another area in which the department emphasized to both it's career and volunteer firefighters, how important using them was long before todays everyday use.

The Fairfield FD covers a large area which includes the very busy I-95, Merritt Parkway Rte 15, a large shoreline, many condos, large single family homes, office buildings and a busy commuter railroad.

My brother and I are still very THANKFUL for all that the Fairfield FD taught us. We had fun and those career firefighters pushed us to do the right thing.

I just hope the younger people of today get the same opportunity that so many of us had. The Fairfield FD gave us all a great start and NONE of us have forgotten that.

batt2, boca1day and PCFD ENG58 like this