flounder

Mysterious NYS Black Trucks

30 posts in this topic

Has any body seen the black NY DOT trucks?  I saw four on I-87 a couple weeks ago.  All black except for the yellow circle on the doors that said NYDOT,  and no reflective on back.  They had a state pickup following them.  Very weird.  Any ideas?  My friend plows for the state on a busy mountain upstate he had no idea.

x635 and Billy like this

48 minutes ago, flounder said:

Has any body seen the black NY DOT trucks?  I saw four on I-87 a couple weeks ago.  All black except for the yellow circle on the doors that said NYDOT,  and no reflective on back.  They had a state pickup following them.  Very weird.  Any ideas?  My friend plows for the state on a busy mountain upstate he had no idea.

Pretty sure those are the governor's personal plow trucks...

BIGRED1 likes this

1 hour ago, flounder said:

I saw over thirty in a convoy a few weeks ago, southbound on I-87. approaching the TZB They were definitely repainted used NYSDOT Mack Granite single axles. The ones I saw said "New York State" in large reflective letters on the dump body and a small yellow round label on the door. I can only assume they were heading to Long Island?  I'm also trying to find out where they are stationed, would love to get a shot.  (amongst knowing what they are for)

22 minutes ago, Morningjoe said:

Pretty sure those are the governor's personal plow trucks...

What's the story behind that?

36 minutes ago, x635 said:

I saw over thirty in a convoy a few weeks ago, southbound on I-87. approaching the TZB They were definitely repainted used NYSDOT Mack Granite single axles. The ones I saw said "New York State" in large reflective letters on the dump body and a small yellow round label on the door. I can only assume they were heading to Long Island?  I'm also trying to find out where they are stationed, would love to get a shot.  (amongst knowing what they are for)

What's the story behind that?

Are these the trucks you speak of?

E35EC7B8-6521-41D4-94BB-72495C68287F.JPG

2F57FBCA-FDFA-4EC9-8DD1-DBDB268A604B.JPG

Westfield12 and vodoly like this

4 minutes ago, Morningjoe said:

No, the 30 ones I saw were all trucks like the one below repainted in black. Although the one you have a photo of are new to me as well, they are newer work crew trucks I guess they repainted as well.

DOTNYS.jpg

Westfield12 likes this

7 hours ago, Morningjoe said:

E35EC7B8-6521-41D4-94BB-72495C68287F.JPG

2F57FBCA-FDFA-4EC9-8DD1-DBDB268A604B.JPG

Are those lights amber? They almost look red in these pics.

Westfield12 likes this

I believe these trucks were identified in a much earlier post and reiterated in this thread by Morningjoe as the 'Governors' trucks, hence the red lights.  They are for his use in extreme weather/road conditions and are dump trucks because they were bought by the DOT with surplus Homeland Security funds after the 2011 storms. Though the mud flaps say DOT, the door decal is definitely not DOT, more like NYS Homeland Security or something to that effect. Originally painted yellow, they were repainted black and there are four positioned around the State at garages operated by the Office of General Services for his use and were 'rebranded 'as 'rescue trucks'.  Originally intended to be used in place of the Governors SUV which almost got washed away while inspecting upstate flood areas, these trucks were only two wheel drive and not high enough to traverse seriously deep water.  I believe they have now added five surplus military trucks capable of dealing with high water and snow.  

Westfield12, dwcfireman and vodoly like this

This is what I was talking about earlier. Saw one while sitting in traffic today at the Whitestone Bridge operations facility.. The seal on the door is just the generic New York State logo. No agency specified anywhere, except for the license plate, which is an MTA plate.

And obviously a repaint of a former NYS*DOT 2006 Mack Granite/Henderson.

NYSDUMP.jpg

ARI1220 and Westfield12 like this

Maybe the state is planning on using theses trucks the same way NYC DOT uses their trucks as road blocks. Fill one of those up with sand or gravel and you have a roadblock that can go anywhere under it's own power. Prevent car bombs from getting out onto a bridge such as the Whitestone, or you might see these preventing vehicles from entering pedestrian areas of major events to avoid a repeat of last months attack in Berlin. 

Makes sense, saw them on the henry Hudson over the weekend

TBTA is the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority. They are a part of the MTA that maintains several crossings including the RFK bridge, Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and Midtown Tunnel

there is a rumor that their law enforcement was to be absorbed into the NYSP but given the truck, they may try to split them off from MTA into their own agency, hence why no agency markings 

2 minutes ago, v85 said:

TBTA is the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority. They are a part of the MTA that maintains several crossings including the RFK bridge, Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and Midtown Tunnel

there is a rumor that their law enforcement was to be absorbed into the NYSP but given the truck, they may try to split them off from MTA into their own agency, hence why no agency markings 

Thanks!

Westfield12 likes this

TBTA- first they changed their patch to say NEW YORK STATE.

Now they have cars that look like NYSP??

Multiple failed attempts to get them police officer status so they want it to say NYS all over their patches and cars in an attempt to get more credibility. 

6 hours ago, v85 said:

First, I don't really see how the color schemes match, other than they both have New York State on them in yellow letters. The patrol car is either NYSP blue or a very close match and has the tbta patch and license plate on it. The truck is black and looks like someone flipped the dot color scheme, making the yellow parts black and black parts yellow, and then it has a generic NYS logo on the door. Plus, what would the TBTA be doing with 30 of those trucks up in Rockland County? Finally tbta pd is already their own law enforcement agency, if they split away from the tbta, who answers to the mta, who's authority would they be under in order to enforce any laws or have a jurisdiction.

4 hours ago, americanpolice said:

TBTA- first they changed their patch to say NEW YORK STATE.

Now they have cars that look like NYSP??

Multiple failed attempts to get them police officer status so they want it to say NYS all over their patches and cars in an attempt to get more credibility. 

Do you really think it's the BTO's behind this? This is Cumuo taking a page out of Bloomberg's book from when Bloomberg had all the traffic and school safety vehicles repainted white and light blue to make it look like there were more cops on the streets.  Since Cumuo is sending as many troopers as he can to NYC in whatever him and DeBlasio are going on about, Cumuo is repainting all state law enforcement vehicles down there in NYSP colors to make it look like there's more troopers out there. Wouldn't suprise me if you saw the MTA pd start switching over too.

trauma74 likes this

EMT111,

I heard the same thing about the pissing match going on between the Cuomo and De Blasio. I was told that this is the reason for the color changes.

5 hours ago, EMT111 said:

Wouldn't suprise me if you saw the MTA pd start switching over too.

Those poor guys haven't had a consistent livery in a long time. They have the white with blue stripes which is most common, but a few years ago they had silver with blue & yellow stripes. There are still a few silver cars around in CT.

As an aside, does anyone know why TBTA did not merge into MTA PD when all the others did, I know they picked up a highway unit due to the merger.

x635, Westfield12 and trauma74 like this

I think it is because it is a different bargaining unit.  I would imagine the contacts are 2 different to make a merger as easy as say: Metro North PD, LIRR PD and Staten Island Railway PD of years ago.

Edited by Cos Cob 215
Spelling
x635 likes this

Reviewing my photos the other day regarding the blacked out NYS Mack Granite that I posted to this group, I noticed the truck behind it was one of the older Internationals. Sorry for the crappy shot, but it's better then nothing.

inter.jpg

FDNY 10-75 and Westfield12 like this

I'm sure its all a part of the Cuomo vs DiBlasio pissing match. Cuomo wants to increase the state's visible presence in NYC, between increased State Police staffing, changing color scheme on TBTA cars to look like Troopers, etc.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/19/its-a-pissing-match-cuomo-defies-de-blasio-again/

x635 likes this

Ithe Cuomo vs DeBlasio feud is 1 answer The "new" trucks have been located at some of the TBTA crossings. Most notably RFK bridge Manhattan bound just past the toll.  those trucks can be used as blockers if bridge needs to be shut down Manhattan bound if terrorist threat.  Also I wonder although I doubt it does it have something to do with Trump  now that he is potus and residence in NYC  

The new cars look sharp and cuomo did it to 1 make it appear like more state troopers but also do remind everyone he is in charge of that agency. White with blue lettering was too close to NYPD scheme.  Personally TBTA should not exist and there should be one MTA police agency -MTA.   I hear troopers are not happy in NYC with all of this. 150 additional added, Doing enforcement- They have done car stops on FDR too 

Went over the Whitestone Bridge this morning. Where the Bridge and Tunnel PD cars are usually parked, were several State Police cars, some still covered in snow. The dump trucks were covered in snow, and I didn't see a Bridge Patrol wrecker on duty either.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, AFS1970 said:

Those poor guys haven't had a consistent livery in a long time. They have the white with blue stripes which is most common, but a few years ago they had silver with blue & yellow stripes. There are still a few silver cars around in CT.

As an aside, does anyone know why TBTA did not merge into MTA PD when all the others did, I know they picked up a highway unit due to the merger.

TBTA did not merge bc they do not have Police Officer status , only peace officer status. Plus there were issues with seniority and training. 

x635 likes this

Hey, guys started seeing these trucks just sitting in front of the TBTA bridges (garage areas) just past the tolls... all lined up in an intimidating profile showcase... but all are empty and block the none new paint schema vehicles just behind in the garage areas...

NY Post has since resolved the "black helicopter" DHS theories... its just a pissing match with deBlasio

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170224/midtown/state-vehicles-paint-colors-new-york-andrew-cuomo

But the suspicionless monitoring and tracking of all citizens who've committed no crime, are not suspected of committing a crime or under any reasonable amount of suspicion, are all now being tracked with the Governors "no tolling" plans:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-remove-toll-booths-hike-cops-mta-bridges-tunnels-article-1.2919406

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2017/02/15/exclusive--state-police-crack-down-on-toll-scofflaws-on-city-bridges-and-tunnels.html 

It's about revenue and how much they can steal from people....not about safety or security:

Cuomo said. “You’re now reading every license plate of everybody coming through that plaza.”

“We’re very serious about revenue collection,” said MTA Chair Tom Prendergast. “Just because you don’t go through toll booths, don’t think we don’t have your license plate and accounting of who owes the toll.”

Also next month, new laws to crack down on toll violators will go into effect. One suspends the vehicle registration of drivers who beats tolls three times in five years. Another law hikes toll violation penalties to $100 from $50. There will be an increased State Police presence at the crossings, with the agency adding 150 troopers to the force in January.

The goal is to get more drivers to give up privacy and to get more drivers using E-ZPass.....

fire patrol nyc likes this

The little king will have his way...the princess shall not stop him...but the voters might!

27east likes this

Just another law created for revenue money and to impose somewhat senseless fines on Hardworking citizens and Americans…

But now we know why the "sudden" interest and the passage of the new law that added the "Window Tint" test to the NYS vehicle inspections....

This is why regular citizens need to be able to use any level of "dark tint" that they want for their own safety...

New York State’s new window tinting law, which went into effect on January 1, 2017 and requires window tint testing during annual motor vehicle inspections. While testing during the vehicle inspection is new, the tinting standards are not.

In 1992, New York State law has required that all windshield and front side windows allow at least 70 percent of outside light to pass through.

Along with the "increased" NYS Police presence in the now fully "cashless" Tolls collection (Bridges, Tunnels, Highways)...

Just more reasons, to have license plate covers and IR/LED lights that that prevent Red-Light Camera and Automatic License Plate Readers (ALPR's - system stores the date, time and GPS of every vehicle forever, never deleted.)

The benefits of window tint on vehicles seem to be tossed aside due to safety issues. "Police Officer Safety" and "Hitting Pedestrians" are the 2 arguments against having window tinting on a vehicle. However, when comparing NY's laws against the other 40 states with more lenient (such as Texas) there is no evidence or proof that window tinting does any harm to police officers safety or pedestrians. New York State has gotten out of control with the laws that they enact, the taxes that we pay, and the lack of concern for the condition the state is in.

I would like to see the in-depth research with credible statistics that prove that 70% of light transmission is absolutely necessary to make New York State "safer". When a police officer pulls someone over, how does 30% tint windows miraculously make approaching a vehicle from the back bumper (which can allow 100% tinted windows) keep them "safer"? Will pedestrians miraculously not be hit by a car if there is no window tint?

Of course this is also being rolled out in some test cities to surveil all America's

Traditionally, when we talk about facial recognition technology, we are talking about a computer identifying a face in a photograph or video, and identifying certain biometrics of the face, such as the spacing between the eyes, the relative position of cheekbones, the shape of the jaw, and more. The human face has 80 nodes that can be used in facial recognition, but it only takes between 14 and 22 nodes to identify a unique human face.

Alex Kilpatrick, a facial recognition researcher at Texas-based Tactical Information Systems said that the simplest way to thwart current facial recognition systems is to look at your feet; it's subtle and prevents cameras mounted at eye-level or higher from getting a good look at your face. However, biometric researchers are constantly looking for ways to improve upon these systems.
FDNY 10-75 likes this