x635

Possible New Station 1 For New Rochelle FD

11 posts in this topic

New Rochelle is seeking proposals for the redevelopment of 45 Harrison Street.  That’s where our aging downtown fire station is located, and any new development there would be coupled with the construction of a new, modern fire house, either on- or off-site.

The City-owned site consists of a single tax parcel of 30,492 +/- square feet. The parcel is improved with a 20,000 sf, two-story facility. Built in 1966, Fire Station #1 is the largest in New Rochelle and services a large portion of the downtown. The first floor, with a main entrance located on Harrison Street, is approximately 8,000 sf including a five-bay garage with 14’ ceilings to accommodate fire trucks and associated emergency service apparatus. The second level, at 6,200 sf provides spaces for administrative offices, kitchen facilities, sleeping areas and a large living space to accommodate daily shifts. The 6,200 sf basement of the building, accessible from Cedar Street, is partially operated by the NRFD as a maintenance facility. The 3,000 sf maintenance shop services and maintains all fire and emergency service apparatus. The remaining portion of the basement houses Emergency Medical Services (EMS) offices and living quarters, training classrooms, storage space for EMS training equipment, and a weight room. Maintenance shop offices, vehicle part storage, and building utilities are also accommodated in the basement.

http://www.noambramson.org/2017/01/new-ro-seeks-development-proposals-45-harrison/

Billy, vodoly and Westfield12 like this

And the Yonkers FD can't even get any traction on its proposed replacement of the condemned (not structurally maintained) YFD Station 1/Fire Headquarters, that was 88 Years old. I would not call the current New Rochelle FD Station 1/ Fire Headquarters 'aging' in any way, shape or form, in comparison to the former Yonkers FD Station 1/Fire Headquarters.

Mayor Spano had committed back in 2015 that the New YFD Station 1/Fire Headquarters would be completed by the end of 2017. (I don't see that happening, based upon the fact that they haven't even finalized a location for this new facility)

Some New Rochelle Fire Houses are over 100 years old and I am certain had this house not been in a prime renewal location it too would have become 100 years old in 2066

BIGRED1 and x635 like this

17 hours ago, kinkchaser said:

Some New Rochelle Fire Houses are over 100 years old and I am certain had this house not been in a prime renewal location it too would have become 100 years old in 2066

Isn't Downtown Yonkers publicized by City, County, State and Federal Politicians/Officials as being part of a "Prime Renewal Location"? At least New Rochelle FD currently has a much more modern Station 1/Fire Headquarters within their "Downtown Area" to run a Tower Ladder Company, Engine Company, Rescue Company and Ambulance in and out of (in addition to being able to house and store reserve apparatus), where as Yonkers FD doesn't even have a Station 1/Fire Headquarters in their downtown area to run anything PERIOD. 

PS - A number of Yonkers FD Fire Stations are as old, if not older that allot of the New Rochelle FD Stations 

BIGRED1 likes this

Article in LoHud today about the subject. Very in depth, also spoke to the need to increase staffing in the area.

http://www.lohud.com/story/marketplace/real-estate/new-rochelle/2017/02/22/new-rochelle-seeks-developer-fire-station-property/97993056/

bigrig77, Westfield12 and tglass59 like this

I don't understand why the city doesn't require a developer that would take the space of a firehouse to build a new firehouse either on the property or nearby.  If the city decides to de-map Cedar St. to give developers another 36,000 sqft, why not build a new firehouse there?

**I understand that money and politics come into play on this, but I personally feel that taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook to build a new firehouse because someone wants to build another high-rise.**

vodoly and bigrig77 like this

30 minutes ago, dwcfireman said:

I don't understand why the city doesn't require a developer that would take the space of a firehouse to build a new firehouse either on the property or nearby.  If the city decides to de-map Cedar St. to give developers another 36,000 sqft, why not build a new firehouse there?

**I understand that money and politics come into play on this, but I personally feel that taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook to build a new firehouse because someone wants to build another high-rise.**

Reread the RFP. It requires the developer to provide it. Also the city can not de-map Cedar st. Only NYS can since it belongs to them.

dwcfireman likes this

13 minutes ago, Bnechis said:

Reread the RFP. It requires the developer to provide it. Also the city can not de-map Cedar st. Only NYS can since it belongs to them.

Got it now!  I definitely misread the RFP thefirst time (I blame a lack of sleep lol).  And I didn't know Cedar St. was NYS property (I learn something new every day!).  Thanks, Barry!

Westfield12 likes this

UPDATE:

Developers present proposals for New Rochelle Fire Station site

NEW ROCHELLE - Two developers vying for the site currently occupied by the city's downtown fire station have presented drastically different proposals to officials.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/new-rochelle/2017/05/16/new-rochelle-fire-station-proposals/316554001/

Using money saved from avoiding developer fees and other costs on that property, the Richman group would then offer $7 million to the city to relocate and build a new firehouse.

"We are confident that the team we ultimately choose will carry out our vision of creating a state-of-the-art fire station

$7 million for a new, modern firehouse? The size or larger of the current station...$7 million is nothing when building a new firehouse of that size. I'm sure that the committee reviewing this will hold out for more money for the firehouse when this is reviewed. This developer will more or less have a very valuable piece of property handed to them, one that will increase the demand and complexity of services provided by FD, and I'm sure they afford much more.