x635

NYPD Loses An Icon

6 posts in this topic

Hero NYPD cop Steven McDonald — who famously forgave the cowardly teenage gunman who left him paralyzed from the neck down 30 years ago — died Tuesday at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, Long Island. He was 59.

“Steven was an exceptional human being who should not be defined by the shooting that paralyzed him, but by what he accomplished in life after it happened,” said Michael Palladino, president of the NYPD detectives union.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/10/paralyzed-nypd-hero-steven-mcdonald-dies-at-59/

THANK YOU x635.

To the family and friends of Detective Steven McDonald my sincere condolences.

Your loss is shared by the entire country as this story is told. Detective McDonald as I see it is a Saint. His story of forgiveness and his suffering goes beyond what most of us would consider a Hero.

I can NOT imagine what it was like to be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life, and not be able to move my arms or hands ever again.

From the time he woke up in the morning, until the time he went to bed at night, he was at the mercy of someone being there to do it for him. Doing the simplest routine things he could NOT do. Like getting dressed in the morning, brushing his teeth, feeding himself, changing the channel on the television, scratching an itch, or holding his wifes hand. But despite that, Detective McDonald FORGAVE THE YOUTH THAT SHOT HIM.

Detective McDonald needs to be remembered for this. While here on earth Detective McDonald did his job well. From his days as a New York City Police Officer, to his final days of confinement in his wheel chair. With no ability to fend for himself.

I never met Detective McDonald. I sure wish I did though. He will be one individual that I will NEVER FORGET. I will remember him for the HERO he was. I will remember him for the suffering he went through and for the kind of man he was.

THANK YOU Detective McDonald for the job you have done. May you now Rest in Peace.

Here is his story.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ6a3miemqs

BFD1054, AFS1970, lt411 and 2 others like this

He was an inspiration. May he rest in peace

Rest in Peace.

May God grant him eternal rest.