LayTheLine

Mt. Vernon Fire Department

7 posts in this topic

I enjoy going through the incident posts for different fires. Between Internet sites, incident posts on this site, and listening to the scanner I have a pretty good idea of what most departments run. I have the basics on New Rochelle, Eastchester, Yonkers and White Plains. One department I can't quite nail down is Mt. Vernon. There's not a lot out there on the web and the incident posts seem to vary with what responds. Most of the other departments are pretty consistent, such as Yonkers 4E, 3L (1 is FAST), Rescue, Squad and 2 Battalions on a Working Fire. I realize there are no absolutes because things happen (multiple calls, mutual aid being out of town, extra manning for snow storms, etc.). But can anyone answer the following questions about Mt. Vernon, say on a Saturday at 2 pm in good weather and no calls in progress:

1) How many stations do they have open?

2) How many engines are staffed and what is the manning per piece?

3) How many ladders are staffed and what is the manning per piece?

4) I'm aware of a new rescue, does that have a dedicated crew?

5) What is their shift minimum for staffing?

6) What do they send on a reported building fire?

7) What do they send on a Working Fire?

8) What is their minimum mutual aid station coverage during fires?

9) Do they respond on first responder/EMS calls?

10) They have a chief of department and a battalion chief per shift. Do they have Assistant Chiefs or Deputy Chiefs?

Edited by LayTheLine

Ha, ha, very funny. I really am not trying to critique them at all. There's just an empty vat on the Internet and that's surprising in this day and age. At least I got 1 answer though!!

6 hours ago, LayTheLine said:

Ha, ha, very funny. I really am not trying to critique them at all. There's just an empty vat on the Internet and that's surprising in this day and age. At least I got 1 answer though!!

Actually from what I have heard in the last year or so, from some very reliable people, is that the situation that exist in the City of Mt Vernon is no laughing matter.

As a civilian of that city or a firefighter, you could be in some very big trouble if you are caught up in a serious incident. Nobody has any idea of what the manning will be when the shift starts. There is no replacement policy for any firefighter who must take off that shift for whatever reason. So as a result, the City of Mt Vernon just rolls the dice and hopes everything is okay and nobody gets hurt or worse.

But in a city like Mt Vernon, it will eventually happen. I know that I would not want to be a civilian inside a burning building, chocking on deadly smoke hoping that the 5 or 6 guys that happen to show up will be able to get me out of there. As any firefighter knows, most times it takes an entire team, doing a group of operations to get that accomplished. Like stretching a line or two, laddering the building, venting the building etc.

It is so bad that it has affected mutual aid as well in some of the surrounding cities/towns.

So based on what some "hick" from Connecticut ("NFD2004"), about a hundred miles away knows about the City of Mt Vernon Fire Dept., I can understand why they may not have a public web site. I'm just very happy that I'm not one of those firefighters there trying to do that job. Or worse, a civilian hoping that the city fire dept, that I depend on to save my life and property, will be able to do that.

The following information comes from the Pace University study of FD consolidation (2009):

There are 4 stations in Mt Vernon. There are 4 engines, 2 trucks,1 rescue and one command vehicle. 16 firefighters and 5 officers are on duty. A reported structure fire gets 2 engines, 1 truck, 1 rescue and the command vehicle, this brings 9 firefighters and 4 officers. 3 of the 7 apparatus have no officer assigned on a given shift.

Those are the only questions I could answer using that information, and some of it may have changed the past 8 years. Here's a copy of the report, it may have more information regarding Mt Vernon you're looking for as well as being an interesting read for anyone interested in the fire service in Westchester and in general. https://edgemontecc.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/firereport.pdf

7 minutes ago, LayTheLine said:

Thanks for the info guys! I do have to say their (2014 ?) Rescue is a sharp looking truck.

2006 e-one demo. on the topic of rescue,do they still get browned out??