FF402

KME Lowest Bidder For New FDNY Rescues

9 posts in this topic

KME's bid is the lowest by a large  margin. Maybe they lowballed it because they want the visibility and bragging rights that producing an FDNY rescue brings.  I like the FDNY Engines they built, but I haven't heard any feedback....anyone of our members in FDNY using them have feedback?

And one would think those would be the only three manufacturers who would be able to comply, since they are the only ones that have an cab meeting FDNY specs already in production.

I like KME, but it's sad we'll probably never see a Seagrave rescue in NYC.

BIGRED1, EmsFirePolice and vodoly like this

1 hour ago, x635 said:

And one would think those would be the only three manufacturers who would be able to comply, since they are the only ones that have an cab meeting FDNY specs already in production.

As I recall both Ferrara and KME had to specifically build new cab designs to meet the FDNY spec, they weren't already on their line. So it would be possible for another builder to do the same if they thought it was worth the effort. I doubt the majority of the fire service has the same street and station limitations that require the need for the split tilt cab, so you have to really put a lot of stock in your ability to keep an FDNY contract, and hope some other just use the FDNY spec because it must be the best (which I imagine it is...for them). 

I know many folks in this forum must have some direct knowledge, but early on there was a lot of grumbling about the KME product, but maybe that would be the same of anything? Unlike many fire departments where the apparatus is the crown jewels of the department, I suspect most FDNY personnel see the apparatus as merely tools that allow them to do the job, thus they set the bar high.   

I know of some FDNY engines have been out of service more then in service for elec. and mech problems.. 

My Co. has had a KME engine for a little over 2 years.  With 25k miles and almost 4k hours, I can say it's held up well.  I typically believe the builder has less to do with the quality of the apparatus and the Spec is key...However, the Truck in my quarters is a Ferrara, and it's junk.  Assembly and fit/finish is far superior in the KME product.  More care was taken in running wires and assembling compartments.

All in all....The KME rig is a good one and the company has been quick to address issues and then taken preventative steps on the rest of the fleet.  We must have about 100 of these engines by now and I haven't heard much grumbling from the shops.