Viper

Hartsdale Mutual Aid To Yorktown?

45 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Flashpoint said:

Does anyone know what this specific piece of equipment was? And what was the chemical involved?

E170 with a crew of techs and it was a freon leak

"Until you walk in the shoes of the incident commander you really don't have a clue about the initial size up and consultations that were occurring during the incident in question. "

Bingo!!!

17 hours ago, Flashpoint said:

Here's the official account of what happened, from the YHFD Facebook page:

Sounds like to me that this incident was appropriately handle and no more criticism should be made.  This seems like a isolated incident that required a special resource and that was requested and responded and handle it as needed,  end of story.

Those with criticisms, if they are so involved and have such expect opinions and knowledge ought to think about joining their local fire department if they want to help out so much.

Don't criticize those who decide and make your lives safe everyday by these proper decisions, but embrace that they are doing a job and doing it correct.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:56 AM, Morningjoe said:

First, your question could be raised RIGHT NOW about the 2nd alarm in Valhalla.  They skipped over a staffed tower ladder in White Plains and Fairview to call a tower ladder in West Harrison.

If you have such an issue that the county team that takes over 40 mins to get out and on location ... And we all know that 2001 responds by himself to check and verify (regardless of what the IC states or requests [EDIT: This JUST happened at the Valhalla fire...]) and then an unknown response of unknown number and unknown trained personnel respond... Wasn't utilized, call the Assistant Chief of the department and ask him himself.

Better yet, because you know exactly who he is, why not ask him face to face of why he made that call, rather than anonymously and blindly question every facet of his decision made yesterday. Figure out exactly why he did, then come back and with facts, explain it to us.

Since you brought up what happened in Valhalla I am going to put in my 2 cents. You mention why not call Fairview or White Plains. This happens constantly especially in districts which volunteer/career departments border each other. Why should Valhalla call Fairview? If Fairview had a fire would they call Valhalla even if it was 1 block outside of the Valhalla fire district? The answer is no. Rather, Valhalla stands by in Fairview headquarters (this is a fact). So, I don't blame Valhalla for having West Harrison being next up on their card.

It is very evident and happens constantly, another example being when Greenville had a fire that was 3 blocks out of the Ardsley fire district that went to a multiple alarm. Some of the departments that responded - Larchmont, White Plains, New Rochelle, Pelham. Not to mention, Eastchester and Pelham Manor stood by in Greenville headquarters. Need I say how ridiculous that is? I can name about 5-10 departments off the top of my head that are closer.

Edited by firstdue
vodoly, AFS1970 and EmsFirePolice like this

A few years ago Englewood Cliffs a town right next to fort lee went in on the 5th alarm fire in the center of town The dispatcher working comm center that night messed up It was bought up at the very next mutual aid meeting & the run cards were updated  We are now 2nd due Engine north of Main Street in fort lee But still there are mistakes made  Btw our mutual aid cord's are either Chiefs or Ex Chiefs  bottom line It happens all over 

Edited by vodoly

With regard to firstdue's post re: M/A, I wonder how some of these paid departments, like Pelham and Pelham Manor, can possible provide M/A when they are

so poorly staffed to begin with. If they send a ladder or engine out of town do they have one of their own to replace it or do they then have to rely on M/A. No

rub on the departments, most of the paid departments operate below NFPA staffing which again for the umteenth time you have to ask where does all the money go?

Westchester County Hazmat didn't have a meter? Or as mentioned, was it there extended response time so they were skipped? Maybe its time for the Hazmat team to have paid members.

Newburgher likes this

Rumor has it that the VA Hazmat team was downgraded to a decon only team. Any truth?

On January 27, 2017 at 8:17 PM, firstdue said:

Since you brought up what happened in Valhalla I am going to put in my 2 cents. You mention why not call Fairview or White Plains. This happens constantly especially in districts which volunteer/career departments border each other. Why should Valhalla call Fairview? If Fairview had a fire would they call Valhalla even if it was 1 block outside of the Valhalla fire district? The answer is no. Rather, Valhalla stands by in Fairview headquarters (this is a fact). So, I don't blame Valhalla for having West Harrison being next up on their card.

It is very evident and happens constantly, another example being when Greenville had a fire that was 3 blocks out of the Ardsley fire district that went to a multiple alarm. Some of the departments that responded - Larchmont, White Plains, New Rochelle, Pelham. Not to mention, Eastchester and Pelham Manor stood by in Greenville headquarters. Need I say how ridiculous that is? I can name about 5-10 departments off the top of my head that are closer.

Firstdue...while I understand where you're coming from, you must think rationally. 

Why call Fairview (or any other career dept)? Because you know exactly what you're getting. No matter what you request (Eng, truck, rescue), you'll get it with a full compliment of QUALIFIED FF's.

Call a volunteer Dept (especially on a weekday), you may get "uncle Joe" the 70 year old chauffeur with an 18 year old "officer" and god knows who else on the back step. 

There may be 1 or 2 vol FDs "closer," but a career dept may get there much faster even if they are "farther" away.

Look, I'm a volly and know where your thought process is. But you have to think logically and choose M/A wisely.

We have Newburgh on our run cards because we know exactly what we're getting when we call them. That is a very reassuring feeling. 

Stay safe 

Chkpoint, fdalumnus, vodoly and 5 others like this

We all have to stop acting like 5th graders and act like adults who know better , To not call an agency because they don't call you is stupid, foolish, and deadly. Sooner or later you will be called out and be held responsible for by passing agencies.  Boooohoooo they didn't call me. So I am not calling them waaawaaawaaa. Total stupidity 

Edited by calhobs
BFD1054, fdalumnus, AFS1970 and 2 others like this

22 hours ago, SECTMB said:

With regard to firstdue's post re: M/A, I wonder how some of these paid departments, like Pelham and Pelham Manor, can possible provide M/A when they are

so poorly staffed to begin with. If they send a ladder or engine out of town do they have one of their own to replace it or do they then have to rely on M/A. No

rub on the departments, most of the paid departments operate below NFPA staffing which again for the umteenth time you have to ask where does all the money go?

They recall 4 members to cover and they staff a spare engine. In the case of a Ladder, they use ma to cover. But considering the call volume and area covered, that's not really an issue 

all what money? Their budgets are so low that they can barely pay for what they have. 

57 minutes ago, Bnechis said:

They recall 4 members to cover and they staff a spare engine. In the case of a Ladder, they use ma to cover. But considering the call volume and area covered, that's not really an issue 

all what money? Their budgets are so low that they can barely pay for what they have. 

What I mean't by all the money is not a Dep't budget, which all seem to be inadequate, but all the money from one the highest taxed Counties in the Country. 

And with regard to the M/A, they pay overtime which their budget can not sustain to fulfill a request to another town whose budget does not allow for proper staffing or send their only ladder out anticipating the arrival of a neighboring ladder if needed but what if the next closest ladder is already providing M/A to the same incident?  

It this is what NYC adjacent fire services look like 15 years post 911, what will they be like 5 or 10 years from now?

2 hours ago, SECTMB said:

What I mean't by all the money is not a Dep't budget, which all seem to be inadequate, but all the money from one the highest taxed Counties in the Country. 

And with regard to the M/A, they pay overtime which their budget can not sustain to fulfill a request to another town whose budget does not allow for proper staffing or send their only ladder out anticipating the arrival of a neighboring ladder if needed but what if the next closest ladder is already providing M/A to the same incident?  

It this is what NYC adjacent fire services look like 15 years post 911, what will they be like 5 or 10 years from now?

It's being wasted on massive duplication of services 

calhobs, 61MACKBR1 and fdalumnus like this

I have a different spin on this incident.  Lets forget who called who   and I am asking this of anyone at the scene,  what did you do?  Was it readily obvious that it was refrigerant that was leaking,  or had already leaked (puddle on the floor),  was the area metered by a 3 or 4 gas meter prior to hfd arrival?  and what were the results of that.  (decreased o2 levels), was the erg book used asap?  what did the HFD meters tell you when they were used?  And what did you do to mitigate the incident?  Lets learn from a haz-mat call   thanks. 

AFS1970, x635, fdalumnus and 6 others like this

Finally, the voice of reason is heard ! Thanks chief.

Edited by fdalumnus