Viper

Rye Fire Department Cited For Failing To Fulfill Basic Municipal Requirements

11 posts in this topic

From the Rye City Review:

In the midst of petitions to the city administration from the Rye Professional Firefighters Association to address the lack of trained fire personnel, the Rye Fire Department has now been ordered to comply with a state law as a result of failing to fulfill basic municipal requirements.

The Review has learned that the city Fire Department is in obstruction of 20 procedural policy and operational standards, 19 of which are dubbed as “serious” violations

Of the violations, several pertain to the department’s failure to provide annual required training to employees and properly inspected protective equipment, and for not implementing suitable workplace policies regarding procedures for handling emergencies. Additionally, the department failed to make available certain vaccinations to employees with occupational exposure.

While the department currently employs just 17 paid firefighters and as little as 30 active volunteers, 12 of whom are trained to fight indoor fires, Castelhano said the department is currently wrestling with keeping up with the industry’s standards, which calls for 15 trained firefighters responding to an emergency.

Barry Nechis, a captain of the New Rochelle Fire Department who has written several SAFER grant applications, said the Rye Fire Department would justifiably be a candidate for grant funding. He added that New Rochelle’s Fire Department was able to add eight firefighters in 2011 as a result of SAFER funding. “Rye is in much worse shape than we are and could fit the criteria for their funding,” he said.

SAFER is designed to assist local fire departments with staffing and deployment capabilities. As of press time, the application period will close on Feb. 10, and according to Castelhano, the city currently has no plan to apply.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.ryecityreview.com/news/fire-department-ordered-20-violations/

The Rye, as well as Port Chester area seems to have some serious issues when it comes to it's fire service.

The fire service is a High Priority no matter where it is. With manning and response times being high up on the list. When we add in the contributing factors such as todays, flimsy modern construction and highly flammable contents in these buildings, that becomes an even much bigger concern.

I'm sure this is already being recognized by the insurance industry.

Billy and LineCapt like this

3 hours ago, nfd2004 said:

The Rye, as well as Port Chester area seems to have some serious issues when it comes to it's fire service.

The fire service is a High Priority no matter where it is. With manning and response times being high up on the list. When we add in the contributing factors such as todays, flimsy modern construction and highly flammable contents in these buildings, that becomes an even much bigger concern.

I'm sure this is already being recognized by the insurance industry.

ALL of Westchester County, paid and volunteer, has serious issues. 

WHY would they not ?!?!

SAFER is designed to assist local fire departments with staffing and deployment capabilities. As of press time, the application period will close on Feb. 10, and according to Castelhano, the city currently has no plan to apply.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:07 AM, PCFD ENG58 said:

I guess there next to get fired for calling in the state, hope not !

They didn't call the state in. The PESH report states that the inspection was a regularly scheduled one and not because of a complaint 

dwcfireman likes this

I'm a little unsure about the wording of the $200/day fines.  Des that mean $200 per day total or $200 per violation per day?  Anyway...

...MATH TIME!

Looking at it at $200/day, if the violations were not abated the fines amount to $1200 (6 days have passed since the deadline).  In a traditional 2 week pay period, the sum comes to $2800.  In one year this becomes $73,000.  This could cover an new firefighter (salary and benefits) for the year (assuming that FF accrued no overtime).

Looking at it as $200/day per violation, and (maybe) assuming 10 violations aren't corrected, this could be $730,000 per year.  This could cover 5 or 6 firefighters (salary and benefits) with extra money to cover accumulated overtime.

NOTE: I could not find information on the current pay scale of the City of Rye Fire Department, nor could I find a specific list of the violations that have not been abated, so the number of firefighters that could be hired with said funds is a ballpark figure.

The bottom line that I'm getting to is whether an agency would rather pay fines and let the problem persist, or use the money wisely to mitigate the problem.  If the problem is staffing, instead of paying fines hire some more firefighters.  If money was the issue in the first place, find some.  If New Rochelle can justify a SAFER grant for 8 firefighters, I'm sure Rye can justify the same or more.  The money is out there.  You just have to go get it!

The $200/per day is per serious violation.

Another consideration is the liability of the violation. If their is any losses that can be connected to the violation. Look at the confined space deaths in Tarrytown, the village has fought very hard to make the violations go away, because of the potential wrongful death litigation that could come. Does not look very good going into court with a willful violation hanging over you. 

On 1/31/2017 at 2:04 PM, LineCapt said:

WHY would they not ?!?!

My guess would be because the municipal "leadership" (using that term loosely) in Rye probably recognizes that after the SAFER grant period is up, they will be responsible for paying and providing benefits for any firefighters hired under SAFER. Clearly, paying additional fire personnel is not something they are interested in doing.

Edited by SageVigiles

The city’s public safety commissioner is considering adding more paid firefighter positions to address the Fire Department’s lack of professional personnel, while also attempting to rectify ongoing violations against the department.

http://www.ryecityreview.com/lead-stories/corcoran-considers-more-paid-firefighters-dept-violations-resolved/

FDNY 10-75 and dwcfireman like this