EMSLt

In The Bronx, ‘Fly Cars’ Aim to Speed Up Emergency Care

32 posts in this topic

I found the Segment call types and wow, it does seem very long and somewhat contradictory - it's probably smart if they're trying to make it more streamlined.

Interesting about the studies with IVs not helping the patient. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, LayTheLine said:

Interesting about the studies with IVs not helping the patient. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks!

If I'm recalling the stuff I've read on the matter correctly, the  study compared outcomes of trauma patients that were transported by BLS units vs ALS units.  The conclusion was essentially that the initiation of an IV in the field provided no better of an outcome for most patients and that quicker contact to trauma center times had a bigger impact on outcomes.

Basically concluding that ALS units tended to delay transport in order to perform ALS interventions, specifically IVs, while BLS units tended to transport immediately since they didn't perform those actions.

I don't remember for sure if the study controlled for the severity of condition of the patients cared for by each unit type.  Did the ALS units care for patients that were on average more critical than those cared for by the BLS units and to what extent did that impact outcomes?  Were outcomes worse due to the delayed transport (for the IV) or having sicker patients?