x635

CFR At Westchester Career Fire Academy?

7 posts in this topic

I heard that CFR (Certified First Responder) training is no longer given in Westchester's career fire academy. I remember when I went through the academy in 2005, it was required by the state to pass.  I also didn't find it in the required courses on the NYS website:

http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/training/fire-academy/state-certifications.cfm

Since a majority of career departments call volume are EMS, over 80% in some districts, I really feel that being an EMT should be a perquisite, or training should be provided in the academy.

BIGRED1 and dwcfireman like this

16 hours ago, Bnechis said:

Since almost every dept is requiring EMT. Doing CFR and then EMT a few months later is a waste of time

But why not do it in the academy? EMT should be required to pass in order to graduate,  Logistically, it's easiest to hold one during the academy.

6 hours ago, x635 said:

But why not do it in the academy? EMT should be required to pass in order to graduate,  Logistically, it's easiest to hold one during the academy.

$$$$$

BIGRED1 likes this

58 minutes ago, fdalumnus said:

$$$$$

That's sad if it's true. Then what good are they on EMS calls?  And doesn't the State reimburse the tuition fee for EMS exams?

I know some departments, in the past, their Probies came in with a CFR cert from the academy. It's been several years since that point and the cert has expired, and the department has not invested in training and continuing education required to keep the cert up, yet still go on EMS calls. Firefighters wouldn't be allowed to go to a call without firefighting training. EMS training should be as respected and have parity with firefighter training especially if that's the majority of our call volume nowadays. I think removing the CFR curriculum for the academy is dangerous for the citizens they serve. Also, going with the antiquated CFR title, is useless nowadays. EMT is the standard from small rural departments to the largest cities. And again, EMT training can be fit into an academy class in a variety of ways.

Also, I never thought about it. Do departments pay tuition for the Career Fire Academy?

ARI1220 likes this

15 hours ago, x635 said:

But it is not a requirement in NYS. It is a job requirement on many depts. We have often had an experienced EMT in the academy, we don't need to have him retaking the class for 160+ hours.

x635 likes this

7 hours ago, x635 said:

That's sad if it's true. Then what good are they on EMS calls?  And doesn't the State reimburse the tuition fee for EMS exams?

I know some departments, in the past, their Probies came in with a CFR cert from the academy. It's been several years since that point and the cert has expired, and the department has not invested in training and continuing education required to keep the cert up, yet still go on EMS calls. Firefighters wouldn't be allowed to go to a call without firefighting training. EMS training should be as respected and have parity with firefighter training especially if that's the majority of our call volume nowadays. I think removing the CFR curriculum for the academy is dangerous for the citizens they serve. Also, going with the antiquated CFR title, is useless nowadays. EMT is the standard from small rural departments to the largest cities. And again, EMT training can be fit into an academy class in a variety of ways.

Also, I never thought about it. Do departments pay tuition for the Career Fire Academy?

1) What good? In our case they are with 2 or 3 experienced EMTs. They get to start seeing what goes on and they get to help as a gopher. I find it makes a better EMS student when they can relate their EMT training to calls they are participating in.

2) The state reimburses a portion of the tuition for EMT, but only if the agency has an agency code. They do not cover the cost of the students, the supervisors or the OT that's being generated by them not being in company. Also each union contract is different as to how they are compensated, if at all.

3) if a department is not supporting on going CFR training, what makes you think that they will support EMT?

4) yes each department pays approximately $4,500 per Probie. A very unfair practice to the taxpayers in communities with career staff. We get to pay for our career training and for the volunteers "free" training.

BIGRED1 and x635 like this