x635

Is VMFD's Former Engine 42 Doomed?

12 posts in this topic

Found this today at Brookfield, alongside all the other trucks awaiting demolition for scrap.  From a Auctions International listing last month. According to that listing, this truck is in great shape, and numerous departments around the country would kill to have this engine.  The winning bid was $4,200.  I hope this is just passing through, and won't meet the scrap heap fate.

VMFD.jpg

think it's done. shame.

brookfield won't even let anybody take stuff off like lights, emergency lighting, etc. 

probably a liability issue with non-workers in the work area.

x635 likes this

I drove that engine for 10 years and it was great. Still can't believe the village couldn't get more for it, it's a shame and I think they got it for even under 4200. The thing was still in very good shape, too bad it couldn't go to somewhere that could use it. REST EASY ENG42INE! Sad to see it go to scrap metal.

Went to many call on that engine. Hard to believe that's all they got for it. 

vodoly and x635 like this

What was the reason it was taken out of service? If it was still in a condition it could be used elsewhere why couldn't it still be in service in Mamaroneck? 

x635 likes this

The deparment in warwick mass that had mother and 4 children die in fire yesterday would love to have a truck like this, they only have 12 volunteers, what a shame to scrap that truck

EmsFirePolice and ARI1220 like this

46 minutes ago, huzzie59 said:

What was the reason it was taken out of service? If it was still in a condition it could be used elsewhere why couldn't it still be in service in Mamaroneck? 

It was replaced with a new, modern engine that fit the current needs of the fire company and department. The Village of Mamaroneck can afford to replace it's apparatus every 20 or so year with a new truck, and there are communities that can't. One mans trash is another mans treasure as the saying goes. And hundreds and hundreds of department across the nation, in some of the poorest and rural areas, this truck would have been a Cadillac.  Top mounted pump controls, 1750 GPM pump, 750 gallon tank, light tower, upgraded LED lighting, 10k hydraulic generator, easy to maintain and durable Detroit Diesel engine with Allison automatic transmission.This engine could have a great second home somewhere it was desperately needed.

Other local departments that have replaced apparatus have donated it to departments in need.  Sleepy Hollow donated their Engine to Broad Channel FD after Hurricane Sandy. Mount Kisco FD Independent Engine Company donated their engine to a department upstate that was decimated by flooding. And Harrison donated one of their engines too a department down south after another disaster.  Maybe Mamaroneck FD wanted to do the same but the Village decided this was the way to surplus it. It's too bad it can't be "rescued".

Westfield12 and EmsFirePolice like this

9 minutes ago, MESS11FOREVER said:

a department out in western Pennsylvania somewhere would kill for a nice rig like that!

I don't think I would be out on a limb to suggest that this vehicle received its regular, required maintenance. They couldn't donate this rig to some 'poor' department where it could provide service for years to come rather than accept $4+K so it can be sold for scrap or some parade piece?  There are hundreds if not thousands of departments with equipment far inferior and aged that this engine.

Westfield12 and x635 like this

19 hours ago, Tcs said:

The deparment in warwick mass that had mother and 4 children die in fire yesterday would love to have a truck like this, they only have 12 volunteers, what a shame to scrap that truck

Was this tragedy due to a old rig that had problems flowing water? Or lack of manpower? If it was due to a old rig having mechanical problems of any kind then the argument is strong. But if it's because only 12 firefighters showed up that's a whole other argument.   And I would have thought E39 - old Purchase rig would have been scrapped before this one. But so far no one really knows why it was scrapped.  And again further argument does Mamaroneck need 4 engines and 2 ladders?   $1mill for new rig.  Hmmmmmm 

DR104 likes this

Years back Harrison donated the old engine 13, a 1985 mc Mack pumper to a dept. Down in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina destroyed all of the depts rigs. Also they sold for a dollar, old engine 11 a 1988 Mack cf  pumper to a dept upstate. Engine 42 what a shame, some poor dept. Could of used this rig and treated it like a brand new rig. Some dept. that can't afford a new million dollar engine. But I guess the people in charge needed the 2800.00 or whatever they sold it for to be destroyed.

Westfield12, AFS1970, x635 and 1 other like this