Viper

$4.5 million annual bill for FDNY at Trump Tower

18 posts in this topic

Yes but Newsday needs to find some way to be critical of Trump, and this is just as good a story as any.

Edited by AFS1970
trauma74 and fire patrol nyc like this

21 hours ago, fire patrol nyc said:

So...it's what's expected for any VIP...it's not the first time the city was not reimbursed for services to a VIP....won't be the last.......

I don't think this is your typical VIP visit. I think this is unprecedented. And I think this is the first time a President comes with such a large family, and has an iconic building that still houses his wife and child (which complicates things even more). The costs need to be reimbursed, as it's not the NYC's taxpayers responsibly to fund protection of the President, his family, and his 50 story building with his name plastered all over it in midtown Manhattan. The whole circumstance is a terrorists wet dream.  This is a national responsibility to protect the President, and it's not fair to NYC's taxpayers. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars here over 4 years if not more, considering a President is guarded by Secret Service for life.

Although I'm not sure that the Fire and EMS resources have to be there.

41 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

Yes but Newsday needs to find some way to be critical of Trump, and this is just as good a story as any.

This was reported by several news outlets.

fdalumnus and EmsFirePolice like this

Anytime we had the President stay in the city, there was a detail assigned to the hotel at night. Usually POTUS stayed at the Waldorf Astoria (not anymore, since a Chinese company bought the hotel recently) when he stayed in Manhattan (obviously Trump will stay at his "place"). We hired manpower for an engine and a ladder, and we staged in a hotel room one floor below POTUS, with standpipe "roll-ups" (hose) and truck tools and PPE/SCBA. Also there were 2 F/Fs stationed at the fire command station /alarm panel. It was an OT night tour, but not as nice as being in your own station. One night tour I worked the Presidential detail, we had a member of Ladder 2 on the crew. Since it was his company's  administrative/building inspection district, he knew the fire safety director. He asked him to have the hotel staff bring up as many folding cots as could be fit into the room, so we could all have a "resting place" during the night. The beds filled the whole room- when there was a smoke detector activation at 0200,  and the brothers at the alarm panel called up to us, it was chaos as  11 guys tried to find their bunker gear and Scotts under the beds! Also, the deputy chief was pissed several days later, when the Waldorf sent the dept. a bill for all the food/snacks ordered from room service and used from the mini-bar. Ah, the good old days!

FF398, BFD1054, Danger and 7 others like this

this is a non story - perhaps we should make an amendment that you only can run for President if you are poor.  That way they will be so impressed with White House - have no vacation homes and just stay in the White House for 4 years (maybe 8).  Its life, its the law - I know a ton ton more waste everyday in the federal Gov't going on every single day.    

One other factor with this will be the difference between what is requested and what is provided. Sometimes this is understandable and with good reason but there may still be a difference. Does the Secret Service require a FF to monitor the panel? Is NYC assigning 2 to that task on their own? Has any other first family had a dedicated ambulance staged at their door? If NYC decides to do this who should pay the bill? Then factor in any credible threats that may increase coverage. This is certainly a complicated issue.

sueg and x635 like this

Funny thing,

I don't remember hearing that the Chappaqua Fire Department or VAC had units at Bill and Hill's while he was president. Ditto on Crawford.  

Also the law was changed. Bill Clinton is the last ex president to receive protection for life. Now it only for 10 years after leaving office. 

12 hours ago, SOUSGT said:

Funny thing,

I don't remember hearing that the Chappaqua Fire Department or VAC had units at Bill and Hill's while he was president. Ditto on Crawford.  

Also the law was changed. Bill Clinton is the last ex president to receive protection for life. Now it only for 10 years after leaving office. 

You're incorrect.  President Obama changed that back to protection for life.

Full-time coverage for the POTUS and first family is not the same as covering for a day or two for a special visit.  I would be interested to know what Chicago did when the Obama's went home to Chicago during his presidency.  Did Chicago FD provide dedicated companies to the residence?

4 hours ago, velcroMedic1987 said:

You're incorrect.  President Obama changed that back to protection for life.

Snuck that one past me. 

Your worried about the cost for Trump and his familiy, Our President,  I know where to get the money.

Look what it costs to protect the UN with direct and indirect costs.............

Table 5. Estimated Costs to New York City

Figures reflect annual impacts in millions of 2014 dollars.

Direct Expenditures Forgone Tax Revenue

Security $8 million

Real Property Tax $72 million

Education $45 million 

Personal Income Tax $26 million

Mayor's Office for International Affairs $1 million Sales & Use Tax $1 million

Direct Expenditures - $54 million

Forgone Tax Revenue - $99 million

Source:

The Economic Impact of the

United Nations Community

on New York City

Lets trim a little from their budget to protect our President.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, SOUSGT said:

Snuck that one past me. 

He lives in Chicago.  He needs all the protection he can get!!!

On 3/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, GreatPlains588 said:

Your worried about the cost for Trump and his familiy, Our President,  I know where to get the money.

Look what it costs to protect the UN with direct and indirect costs.............

Table 5. Estimated Costs to New York City

Figures reflect annual impacts in millions of 2014 dollars.

Direct Expenditures Forgone Tax Revenue

Security $8 million

Real Property Tax $72 million

Education $45 million 

Personal Income Tax $26 million

Mayor's Office for International Affairs $1 million Sales & Use Tax $1 million

Direct Expenditures - $54 million

Forgone Tax Revenue - $99 million

Source:

The Economic Impact of the

United Nations Community

on New York City

Lets trim a little from their budget to protect our President.

But just think how much money the protesters brought into the city for both the UN and Trump Properties!  

nfdcanman and AFS1970 like this

On 3/12/2017 at 9:45 PM, SOUSGT said:

President George W. Bush did enact a law that would rid himself and all future Presidents of lifetime Secret Service protection.  He did this as a way to save taxpayer money as the idea was that since you were no longer POTUS, you were no longer a target.  The enacted law stated that future ex-Presidents (starting with GW) would get 5 years protection post-office and protection would cease.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, SOUSGT said:

Snuck that one past me.

President Obama had the law repealed because he believed that no matter your status, if you were POTUS then you will forever be a target, thus to protect the future ex-Presidents for life.  Yes, this was done much more discretely than when GW initiated the change, but it makes some sense that there are probably a few people out there trying to kill you.

Now, let me drop this question on everyone:  WHAT IF, and this is a strong IF, an incoming president was a firefighter (let's say a volunteer for the sake of the argument).  After this firefighter is done being POTUS, would the Secret Service allow him/her to respond to emergencies?  Think about it...If you were the President, and you're a volunteer firefighter, AND you need 24/7 security protection, can you still be a firefighter after the completion of your term(s)?  I'm picturing a Secret Service agent nervously masking up with an ex-President that has the knob and is screaming, "Let's rock and roll!"

trauma74 likes this

On 3/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, dwcfireman said:

Now, let me drop this question on everyone:  WHAT IF, and this is a strong IF, an incoming president was a firefighter (let's say a volunteer for the sake of the argument).  After this firefighter is done being POTUS, would the Secret Service allow him/her to respond to emergencies?  Think about it...If you were the President, and you're a volunteer firefighter, AND you need 24/7 security protection, can you still be a firefighter after the completion of your term(s)?  I'm picturing a Secret Service agent nervously masking up with an ex-President that has the knob and is screaming, "Let's rock and roll!"

Considering the median age of former presidents the likelihood that any would be an active volunteer firefighter is slim. 

Further, considering the manner in which our presidential candidates are selected, unless Harvard or Yale starts a volunteer FD, I don't think we're going to see any volly presidents in our lifetimes.

dwcfireman likes this

1 hour ago, Dinosaur said:

Considering the median age of former presidents the likelihood that any would be an active volunteer firefighter is slim. 

Further, considering the manner in which our presidential candidates are selected, unless Harvard or Yale starts a volunteer FD, I don't think we're going to see any volly presidents in our lifetimes.

I was bored and came up with this hypothetical lol.