x635

New CHiPs Movie

3 posts in this topic

This sums up how I feel. Not just the quote below, but the whole letter you can read at the following link.

Your movie just isn’t CHiPs. Sure, it’s about the California Highway Patrol, and has two characters named Jon and Ponch, but that’s where the similarities end. Now, I understand when you do a remake you have to freshen it up, I don’t have any problem with that. You didn’t do that though, you just eradicated everything that made CHiPs beloved with its fans (many I need to point out, just like back in the 70s and 80s, are children!) starting with the characters themselves.

https://medium.com/@suewalsh/an-open-letter-to-dax-shepard-76f0d578c4b0#.o7fcshg6u

AFS1970 and Billy like this

Larry Wilcox was a Marine and saw action in Vietnam. His character John Baker was a Vietnam vet and I believe it was the first time in the 80s  for a TV series to have character that was Vietnam vet 

vodoly, BFD1054, x635 and 1 other like this

If I remember correctly SWAT (another show with a horrible remake) featured a couple of characters who were vets.

That being said, I fail to understand why when remakes are made the original is seen as a problem that needs fixing. I also fail to see why so many shows are remade as comedies when they were not comedies to begin with.

Then again, I don't understand remakes at all, I am not a writer but I don't get why nobody seems to be able to write their own story anymore.

boca1day, vodoly, kj2557 and 2 others like this