x635

Some Apparatus Photos From My Recent Los Angeles Trip

26 posts in this topic

Earlier this week, I had the chance to go to Los Angeles. I'll be sharing some of the photos on this thread over the next couple of days.

For those who haven't seen it, my photos of LA City FD's Heavy Rescue 56 can be found here.

First up is Los Angeles County FD, they had this 2017 KME Tractor sitting at the shops, awaiting mating with a USAR Trailer.

LAFDUSSSAR2.jpg

Next up is LA City FD's Fast Response 20, a 2015 Ram 5500 4x4.  It's a Brush Truck, Paramedic Flycar, and a manpower squad rolled up into one.  It operates during peak times. Read more about this unique unit:  http://www.lafd.org/news/lafd-unveils-innovative-fast-response-vehicles

FRV.jpg

nramacciato and Westfield12 like this

One of LAFD's new Pierce tillers, part of a 10 year contract for 40 of them.

Of the seven that have been delivered so far, none have accepted for delivery, and one was put into service for about a day and then returned to the dealer. The trucks are having numerous issues, and quite possibly will be sent back to Pierce in Wisconsin to deal with the issues. The trucks have been sitting at the dealer for several months now.

latiller.jpg

Just today I was speaking to another 'ex/retired' firefighter who wondered who was better Pierce or Seagrave.  I thought they were about equal but generally better than the rest.  You see a lot of posts critical of various apparatus makers and the lack of quality in their products. Are there too few manufacturers for the demand and therefore less quality control in order to keep up with that demand?

WCFCX613 and x635 like this

I wouldn't say there are too few. The issue seems to be everyone trying to cut corners to make profit. It seems that the quality of materials is a huge issue. Whether it is overflow tanks on radiators, radiators not made completely of metal. wiring harnesses that have a lower gauge of wire, window regulators that are inferior and don't even start me with the Cummins motor issues. In a recent purchase lack of quality control and employees doing what they were supposed to do. The last purchase involved a multiple truck order and wiring runs were different, grommets not placed holes, some siliconed, some left open. It was a lot of little issues due to volume of trucks being produced and new employees not up to par. The manufacturers have let the older employees retire or leave and when business started to turn around they have been slow to bring on employees and their is no apprenticeship to teach the right way it should be done. ALL OF THE MANUFACTURERS have issues. We had more little issues on our pumpers than or aerial, the aerial guys have been there much longer and were a great group of guys, aerials are a promotion from the engine work it seems, they still have the right attitude and work ethic. Sorry, off my soapbox now.

x635, vodoly and WCFCX613 like this

Seth - just curious - are the tiller drawn apparatus interchangeable 0 ie: can they pull a tractor and replace it with a spare - keeping the unit in service while a tractor is in the shop?  Also - there are some obvious differences in the Tractor for the TDA and for the USAR - would they be otherwise interchangeable other than the cabinetry?

WCFCX613, Westfield12 and x635 like this

7 hours ago, wcr20 said:

Seth - just curious - are the tiller drawn apparatus interchangeable 0 ie: can they pull a tractor and replace it with a spare - keeping the unit in service while a tractor is in the shop?  Also - there are some obvious differences in the Tractor for the TDA and for the USAR - would they be otherwise interchangeable other than the cabinetry?

It depends. As far as LAFD and LACoFD goes, for Tillers, they can change them out if they need to, accident replacement, upgrade to a new tractor, etc. However, they generally like to keep the same tractor and trailer together as one unit.

As far as the USAR and HazMat trailers, it used to be a Freightliner tractor, and the trailers were interchangeable. The new tractors, for the USAR and HazMat units of LACoFD, I believe are designed to work with that specific customized tractor.  Theoretically, you ou can interchange the tractor if needed,  or use any type of truck that has a 5th wheel to pull it technically. 

WCFCX613, Westfield12 and vodoly like this

4 hours ago, x635 said:

Los Angeles Fire Department
Truck 33
1998 Simon Duplex/LTI 100' TDA

Them Simon Duplex LTI's still going strong out on the west coast 

WCFCX613 likes this

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, vodoly said:

Them Simon Duplex LTI's still going strong out on the west coast 

Yup. 19 years old that truck, and in immaculate shape. Being replaced with a Pierce TDA at some point this year (timeline described in an above post), and most likely will be assigned for training or a spare, if not going to another station as a first due.

WCFCX613, vodoly and Westfield12 like this

Heavy Rescue 56 is now HR3. The Pierce LAFD tillers all 7 of them have been returned to Pierce with a long list of issues. LAFD doesnt have 40 Truck co so that is incorrect. 10 year contract is true for now. LaCo Fire HM and USAR tractors are custom built for that use.  You know the difference by the USAR tractor has a solid red bumper and 3 door cab. HM has a chrome bumper and a 4 door cab. 3 new HM and 1 USAR tractors are currently awaiting  as one HM tractor is assigned to either HM 43 or 105. Most Duplex trucks are reserve status but.. very good rigs. LAFD also has an order with Pierce for new engine co's. Hope this helps.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:53 PM, x635 said:

Yup. 19 years old that truck, and in immaculate shape. Being replaced with a Pierce TDA at some point this year (timeline described in an above post), and most likely will be assigned for training or a spare, if not going to another station as a first due.

Makes it easier when they don't have to face the winter or the notoriously deplorable road conditions of the American northeast!

AFS1970, WCFCX613 and vodoly like this

Los Angeles County Fire Department

Lifeguard Division

LG271

2017 Toyota Tacoma

This unit, most of them actually, are provided by Toyota in exchange for the exposure it gets on the beach.

LG271N.jpg

Westfield12 and WCFCX613 like this

On 4/9/2017 at 7:53 PM, x635 said:

I have to say, they are some of the best taken care of apparatus I have ever seen, even their extremely busy companies take care of their trucks. It is impressive.

x635, vodoly, Westfield12 and 1 other like this

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, COH Bulldog said:

Makes it easier when they don't have to face the winter or the notoriously deplorable road conditions of the American northeast!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, savff said:

I have to say, they are some of the best taken care of apparatus I have ever seen, even their extremely busy companies take care of their trucks. It is impressive.

From being an outsider", I have observed over 15 years now how they are very meticulous and take great pride in keeping the apparatus in the best shape. It's part of the culture. Even Engine 9, one of the busiest engine companies in the nation, spotlessly shines. Another truck I photographed almost 10 year ago and then again last month and I couldn't tell the difference of wear.  It's true, they don't have to deal with the corrosive salt, deteriorated roadways, and rust, but I rarely see career departments (and some volunteer) in this area washing the motor, hand cleaning an aerial, waxing a truck, or even rinsing down apparatus when they are caked in salt in times other then with an annual inspection dinner coming up. Not only a pride thing, but also an important part of the maintenance of the truck.

Additionally, the Engineer for the pumpers, and Apparatus Operator for the ladders, USAR's, and other specialty vehicles, is a promotional rank. So there is  a person specifically charged with taking care of the rig on each shift, as opposed to it being an assignment for the day.

Beverly Hills Fire Department
Paramedic Rescue 2
2016 Freightliner M2/Braun Northwest

bhfdam.jpg

vodoly, Westfield12 and WCFCX613 like this

14 hours ago, x635 said:
Beverly Hills Fire Department
Paramedic Rescue 2
2016 Freightliner M2/Braun Northwest

is this a remount??

WCFCX613 likes this

12 hours ago, Anesti said:

is this a remount??

I, at first, assumed it was a new Lifeline, since I thought they were the only manufacturer that still made a slant side box. and it looks very similar. I am not 100% sure, but as far is I know, the box is custom built new by Braun Northwest. It looks similar to the slant side currently produced by Lifeline.  Braun discontinued theirs several years ago. Braun Northwest-Northstar Emergency Vehicles is a separate company then Braun, and is popular in the Pacific Northwest and parts of California.

I do know that Braun Northwest was awarded a bid for the ambulance above in the amount of $303,000. It will serve 7 years as a frontline ambulance, and 7 years as a reserve.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, x635 said:

From being an outsider", I have observed over 15 years now how they are very meticulous and take great pride in keeping the apparatus in the best shape. It's part of the culture. Even Engine 9, one of the busiest engine companies in the nation, spotlessly shines. Another truck I photographed almost 10 year ago and then again last month and I couldn't tell the difference of wear.  It's true, they don't have to deal with the corrosive salt, deteriorated roadways, and rust, but I rarely see career departments (and some volunteer) in this area washing the motor, hand cleaning an aerial, waxing a truck, or even rinsing down apparatus when they are caked in salt in times other then with an annual inspection dinner coming up. Not only a pride thing, but also an important part of the maintenance of the truck.

Additionally, the Engineer for the pumpers, and Apparatus Operator for the ladders, USAR's, and other specialty vehicles, is a promotional rank. So there is  a person specifically charged with taking care of the rig on each shift, as opposed to it being an assignment for the day.

It's getting rare enough to see a "clean" rig in this area anymore, never mind one in that kind of shape.   I remember one of the guys on the model board (Mike Quinn, maybe?) commenting on a pic he posted that they had to wait a half hour beyond the daily training to be completed because the crew wanted to "wipe down" the rig before they posed it.   I certainly wouldn't have objected to that.   Would LOVE to shoot rigs that look that good!   

That having been said, did you get any of LAFD's newer KME engines?  

Westfield12, WCFCX613 and x635 like this

3 hours ago, AndyC3J said:

That having been said, did you get any of LAFD's newer KME engines?  

I did. Engine 10 is a 2015 KME Severe Service Predator,  one of the 34 KME "Triples" in their fleet. @pump305 correct me if I am wrong on the year.

Engine 10 is in the Central Bureau division, 11th Battalion.  It serves downtown Los Angeles, near the convention center along with it's housemates, Light Force 10, and RA (Rescue Ambulance) 10. This station responded to 5,358 EMS calls, 619 critical ALS calls, 1,313 non-EMS calls,  and 45 structure fires in 2016.

LAFD10.jpg

10 hours ago, x635 said:

I, at first, assumed it was a new Lifeline, since I thought they were the only manufacturer that still made a slant side box. and it looks very similar. I am not 100% sure, but as far is I know, the box is custom built new by Braun Northwest. It looks similar to the slant side currently produced by Lifeline.  Braun discontinued theirs several years ago. Braun Northwest-Northstar Emergency Vehicles is a separate company then Braun, and is popular in the Pacific Northwest and parts of California.

I do know that Braun Northwest was awarded a bid for the ambulance above in the amount of $303,000. It will serve 7 years as a frontline ambulance, and 7 years as a reserve.

ok thanx for the info. just odd seeing a huge cab on a small box.

Westfield12 and WCFCX613 like this

Seems virtually (if not every) picture I see of an LA ladder company is a tiller. Do they run anything else? Any tower ladders, rear mounts or straight sticks?

x635, WCFCX613 and Westfield12 like this

Los Angeles City is currently all tillers.  They used various snorkel products (squirt, telesquirt, and snorkels in 50ft & 85ft) back in the 60's & 70's in addition to the tillers.  Also LAFD occasionally demos other ladders and so far prefers their tillers.

Los Angeles County is currently mostly tiller quints but have one or two front line rear mount quints.  They have had an assortment of ladders types over the years with some coming from their acquisition of other fire districts.

x635, jasd, boca1day and 3 others like this

LAFD "Plug Buggy"

2017 Ram 3500 4x4

"Plug Buggy" is basically a utility for the station, and serves a variety of purposes.

ram.jpg

WCFCX613, Westfield12 and MdWC like this