x635

FDNY Marine 6A Mutual Aid To Rye 4-17-17

10 posts in this topic

FDNY Marine 6A provided mutual aid today for a brush fire in Rye, NY. Photo cred: Westchester Co. PD Special Ops

fdnyery.jpg

.The response of the FDNY small boat to Rye illustrates what some think is one of the great weaknesses in Westchester fire protection is along the Sound Shore where fire fighting capabilities are shaky to .non existent. From the Bronx line to Connecticut there are billions of dollars of boats, marine facilities and shore front properties yet there is little meaningful  fire protection.   

nfdcanman, x635, BFD1054 and 5 others like this

20 hours ago, kinkchaser said:

.The response of the FDNY small boat to Rye illustrates what some think is one of the great weaknesses in Westchester fire protection is along the Sound Shore where fire fighting capabilities are shaky to .non existent. From the Bronx line to Connecticut there are billions of dollars of boats, marine facilities and shore front properties yet there is little meaningful  fire protection.   

Agreed! Does Rye, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, or New Rochelle have a fire boat? And does County PD have a boat in the water and quickly staffed like they do on the Hudson?

Edited by Flashpoint

Did County come all the way from the Hudson?

21 hours ago, 27east said:

Did County come all the way from the Hudson?

If i'm correct WCPD has a marine unit in the sound shore area. If they don't they really should

Edited by MdWC

Nice that they were able to respond. What is the response time like?

Also this brings up an issue I often wonder about in Dispatch, which is interstate M/A. Despite being so close to each other we do very little responses across the line. We just redid our list for Tankers into Stamford that includes many CT & NY departments. I know there are fire boats in Stamford, Darien, Norwalk & I believe Greenwich. Which might have been close enough to respond, although that area might have required a small boat. I know that we don't have any kind of official list on our end, so it may be the same with NY just not being aware of what is available here.

fdalumnus, x635 and LayTheLine like this

Does New Rochelle, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, or Rye even have a fireboat?

Both Rye and Mamaroneck Village had/has fireboats in the past. Obviously Rye FD doesn't anymore. Anyone know if MFD still has theirs, and is it in service?