Viper

Katonah's Ladder Sinks In Mud At 10-75 Today

12 posts in this topic

This is off various Facebook fire wires with commentary so their is no reason it can't be shared here.

#CFPA member Jon Tenca is on scene of a dwelling fire in #Katonah N.Y. follow us for more fire scene photography. @Katonah

A post shared by Kempter's Fire Wire (Official) (@kempterfirewire) on

vodoly and somebuffyguy like this

Sunk in the slop it happens Happened to Englewood Cliffs old ALF mid mount aerial at a mutual aid fire in Fort Lee in late 80's  They had backed in on a lawn to set up to the roof  to assist in venting  Fort lee called in a loader to help pull it out( comes in handy them having memebers that work DPW )

Too early in the Season to consider leaving any hard surface, it happens. Hope they got it out without any damage to the undercarriage.

x635, vodoly, BFD1054 and 5 others like this

This is just one of the risks when beaching your ladder.  I've never seen it as a big deal.  We used to beach our quint upstate A LOT.  Usually to get it out we would jack it up with the outriggers and place plywood underneath the wheels.

ARI1220 likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 9:22 AM, dwcfireman said:

This is just one of the risks when beaching your ladder.  I've never seen it as a big deal.  We used to beach our quint upstate A LOT.  Usually to get it out we would jack it up with the outriggers and place plywood underneath the wheels.

I don't know, I'd say there is a lot of things that can go wrong: rollover? damage to the undercarriage? undesigned stress to the frame? I'd want to be damn sure that what I was doing was absolutely necessary for life or limb. In the case above, it would not appear to have been necessary, but of course we only have a 1/1000 of a second snapshot, so who's to say?

From the pictures  it looks like they could have reached any part of the roof from the driveway.

BFD1054 and bad box like this

Putting an engine on the lawn is one thing, but an aerial is another story. You better make sure the ground is solid before raising the ladder/tower especially with a firefighter on the end of it.

BFD1054, vodoly and x635 like this

Speaking of Beaching Bowie Md (PG County)  beached Thier Mack Towerl Ladder in  the mud  at the collage park 5th alarm yesterday