x635

White Plains DPW Discarding a Piece of History

8 posts in this topic

What a crime that White Plains (NY) DPW is selling this! It's in great condition, and doesn't require much attention aside from being garaged and routine maintenance from what I understand. A great public relations tool that should have been held on to! The opportunity to own this piece of history is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I hope it's not because no one took pride or care if it. Now, this very well may end up at Brookfield being torn apart for scrap.

http://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/10621/item/1958-oshkosh-severe-duty-dump-truck-wplow-frame-and-rear-hitch-64724

WPPW.jpg

vodoly and MdWC like this

Seth - Is this an OSHKOSH Chassis? If so, yes, this is indeed a CLASSIC that the City of White Plains should keep as part of their DPW History (Gee, I remember those 1960's Yonkers DPW Grey OSHKOSH Plow and Sanitation Trucks)

God willing, this truck will not end up in a scrapyard getting chopped up.

3 hours ago, 61MACKBR1 said:

Seth - Is this an OSHKOSH Chassis? If so, yes, this is indeed a CLASSIC that the City of White Plains should keep as part of their DPW History (Gee, I remember those 1960's Yonkers DPW Grey OSHKOSH Plow and Sanitation Trucks)

1958 Oshkosh W-Series  All-Wheel Drive. Probably had a Hercules motor.  The trucks were some of the most popular, toughest beasts ever built, workhorses in the mid-1900's, and often worked for decades in multiple different heavy duty type uses, building and maintaining this country. They were worked until they were dead, picked for parts, or rotted away. Very few remain.

I think this may have been a project by former DPW Commissioner Bud Nicoletti. I know he drove it in a few parades.

I'd love to see photos of the Yonkers trucks or any of these model and era of trucks that served the municipalities of Westchester.

vodoly likes this

What DPW history? That truck spent it's entire life at a shopping center in Eastchester until it was given to White Plains a couple of years ago. It was then portrayed as a historic DPW truck.   It has no historical value to White Plains. White Plains does have an actual DPW truck that they have owned since the 50s and is used in parades. This is an interesting truck though. 

Anybody have any pics of the Yonkers Oshkosh DPW trucks?Would love to see them,Yonkers had a large fleet of Oshkosh dump trucks also called "stripper trucks" used in coal mines as well as garbage trucks...all equipped with plow  hook ups...hope this Oshkosh goes to a good home..

61MACKBR1 likes this

That was one of many of Bud's projects.  Spent city money and man power time restoring and maintaining that truck and a old wannabe military style Jeep(was a old jeep from the 80s with square head lights) while the employees of White Plains we're driving around in  run down, old out of date  and falling apart vehicles claiming they had no money  to fix them. Probably one of the reasons he was relieved of his duties as commissioner

Edited by DR104
More info
vodoly likes this

On 4/26/2017 at 2:44 PM, fire patrol nyc said:

Anybody have any pics of the Yonkers Oshkosh DPW trucks?Would love to see them,Yonkers had a large fleet of Oshkosh dump trucks also called "stripper trucks" used in coal mines as well as garbage trucks...all equipped with plow  hook ups...hope this Oshkosh goes to a good home..

Yonkers Oshkosh Leach Garbage Truck 1963.JPG