Architect

Connecticut To Lay Off State Troopers

8 posts in this topic

They can always come to New York and replace the troopers that the governor is sending to NYC . 

Troop G in Connecticut isn't that far from 684. In fact they covered a small part of it. 

bfd1144 likes this

He tried this once before. While I don't like seeing people's lives toyed with, I fear it is all smoke and mirrors.

He announced this his first term to scare people. He laid off troopers without regard to seniority due to some junior troopers being hired under grants. Then he had to bring all the troopers back because he violated the contract. Then he was able to blame the unions that endorsed him for all the states woes. Funny from a guy who claimed that raising taxes would balance the budget.

Edited by AFS1970

According to this article, seven State Troopers have been given layoff notices, and a second rounds of layoffs is imminent, and that will include 4 Lieutenants. They've cancelled the upcoming Trooper class, which was to start in June and have 79 cadets.  Despite the fact over 200 Troopers are eligible to retire in the next year.

My question is, how can they lay off 2 Sergeants and 5 officers, all with 12-18 years on the job? Do layoffs in CT go by seniority?

http://www.wfsb.com/story/35440462/more-state-police-troopers-to-receive-layoff-notices-today

9 hours ago, PCFD ENG58 said:

Remember it is not a civil service state .

How do they determine who gets laid off?

1 hour ago, x635 said:

How do they determine who gets laid off?

There will typically be contract language to address those sort of issues. Not being familiar with CSP's contact, I couldn't tell you.

If I remember correctly the higher ranks in CSP are appointments that serve at the pleasure of the Governor and lack many of the contractual protections the troopers have. I am not sure where the cut offs are or if those Lieutenants can bump Sergeants who will bump Troopers.