N1Medic

AMR Now Operating in Westchester From New Rochelle Base

13 posts in this topic

Does this mean when they do 911 calls in the future that Empress will be out of business? Because what makes you think that AMR isn't going to take Empress out of the big cities in Westchester?

As a national company, they have a lot of financial resources behind them. Private companies in the area shouldn't brush them off. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, trauma74 said:

As a national company, they have a lot of financial resources behind them. Private companies in the area shouldn't brush them off. 

To say the least. They are currently owned by Envision Healthcare, a publicly traded company that recently merged Rural/Metro and AMR.  It's been rumored that Envision is contemplating selling AMR.

AMR destroyed a lot of the smaller ambulance companies in New England buy buying them up in the late 90's, and became a large operation. However, a few years ago AMR wasn't making a profit in that region, so they pulled out, abandoning many communities they served completely. They've been in the NYC market twice before, one in the late 90's when they tried to buy Empress, Metrocare, Park, CMTI, etc but they all refused.  They had NY*Pres transport contract briefly if I remember correctly? Both times they pulled out of the market..

I think that they may have to have an ambulance and do a few calls a month in order to maintain the CON they acquired from Transcare? So maybe this is just a "placeholder". And Mobile Life acquired the other CON, and has talked about expanding into Putnam and Westchester. The new AMR ambulance pictured above reportedly posts at Westchester Medical Center all day, sitting in one of the ER bays.

AMR has some good operations in various parts of the county, but this has the potential of being Transcare all over again.

Empress EMS = Family owned, very good to their employees, a lot of different choices and opportunities for employees not found with their competition. They reinvest heavily into the business. They don't have to worry about what shareholders think. I hope people help to keep EMS jobs local.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

AMR has been in upstate New York for a year now at least

11 hours ago, PCFD ENG58 said:

AMR has been in upstate New York for a year now at least

Those were previously Rural/Metro operations before the merger, now they have been rebranded AMR.

Does this mean when they do 911 calls in the future that Empress will be out of business? Because what makes you think that AMR isn't going to take Empress out of the big cities in Westchester?

What makes YOU think that they ARE? 

In the past when cities have done business the new big guy in town, (Affiliated, Transcare) they have had issues- like the company disappearing.  No Empress ain't perfect but we have never just said AMF YOYO and gone home.

As a 29 year Empress guy, I heard similar stories about two decades ago when some other big multi-state company came in. Called Transcare.  Anyone remember Careline?  Another big company that bought up little ones and then died.

Anyhow, these guys are EMT's and medics just like anyone else. I welcome them to the street. Plenty of work for everyone.  I hope their bosses are good to them. Almost as a gag, I bought some Envision Stock so I  get their corporate shareholder reports and stuff.(so welcome, my new employees!) I also hope that down the road they may join our Union (IAEP) to help make sure their bosses don't unfairly tilt the playing field. Maybe we can do some charity events together.

Bill Rothschild

babhits16 and Westfield12 like this

So far AMR has been fairly successful down in DC. Right now, DCFD is responding to all medicals. After the initial assessment, if it is determined to be a low priority call, then AMR is dispatched to take the patient. Not exactly the most efficient system, but DC is just dipping its feet into the use of private EMS, so I think this is a measured approach until AMR gains the city leadership's trust. The general consensus from DCFD members I've talked to is that AMR is doing a pretty good job freeing DCFD up for actual emergencies.

Edited by SageVigiles
Westfield12 likes this

OK, this is NOT directly AMR related, but goes with SageVigiles post:

I JUST came home from DC, having ridden a bicycle 320 miles there from Poughkeepsie with the Muddy Angels EMS memorial bike ride. My brother lives there and is a huge scanner buff.

Here is what is driving me crazy: DC arrives and updates the job as minor/BLS/no life threat and has AMR sent. AMR then drives full-on lights and sirens to a call where it has been determined that there is nothing major going on.  Why are EMT's of any service driving lights/sirens to rush to the scene of a confirmed NON-EMERGENCY?  I can guess that DC doesn't want to hang around and wait, or that AMR wants to have good looking response times. But to endanger themselves and the public for that is BS.  Of the 50 EMS folks that the Muddy Angels rode for this year, 12, or about 24% died in MVA's.

This is NOT against AMR, but against the shot-callers who set this up. Probably NOT an AMR decision, but a dead EMT is a dead EMT. More lights and sirens  driving= more dead EMT's.

AFS1970 and antiquefirelt like this

AMR in Florida is an absolute shitshow to deal with. Speaking from being there in their coverage area, I don't think I've ever seen a more dysfunctional operation. And I worked for Care1. 

Employees buy their own uniforms. Hours cut out of no where. Just a number to the time clock. I've heard the complaints and it's pretty crazy seeing them pull into WCMC.