AFS1970

Yet another Blue Light thread - help needed

10 posts in this topic

But this one will hopefully be a productive one. 

I am looking for any departments that have internal rules separate from the relevant statutes about display / use of blue lights (or any color for that matter). Looking up the actual laws is a relatively easy matter to deal with, but I am trying to help with a project where some internal rules are being proposed in a department. Never having dealt with this, I am hoping I can find if other departments have thought this was important enough to make a rule about and make sure proposals are reasonable based on whatever consensus I can come up with.

Not looking to have a debate on if lights should be allowed, just looking to see how others may have regulated their use.

dwcfireman and BIGRED1 like this

We have a department policy on blue lights with an overview below:

- Must live in town (we accept members from neighboring towns but require they staff at the stations).

- Must have completed Driver/Operator certification and be checked off the drive our apparatus Code 3 (emergent).

- Must have a good driving record.

- Then requires Fire Chief approval.  He also has to approve the type of light installed (we don't allow anything more than a dash light) and the member has to purchase the light.

- Lights can be used to respond to the station for Code 3 (emergent) calls only and can only be used in the city limits.

- The Fire Chief may revoke any blue light permit if there are complaints.

For the record I think there are only three people on our department who have a blue light permit including myself.  I rarely use my light for response but being an officer I occasionally end up going direct to the scene (or come across an incident) and will use it then for visibility on-scene.  We are probably going to eventually phase out blue lights, more of a liability then benefit.

Capejake72 and dwcfireman like this

Connecticut requires permits for blue lights, the route getting the permit is through the Chief to sign off on it. In our department it was at the Chief's discretion to decide on each individual based on their maturity level and role in the department.  No probationary members could get one, so the soonest it could happen was 6 months.    

dwcfireman likes this

3 hours ago, lalautze said:

..I occasionally end up going direct to the scene (or come across an incident) and will use it then for visibility on-scene...

Funny thing about that, one of the proposals I am dealing with is that lights be turned off once you arrive at the scene.

dwcfireman and vodoly like this

Actually that is a good idea if you have several members responding direct with units already on-scene... park out of the way and turn the lights off.  The few cases where I go direct I typically am the first emergency responder on-scene.

AFS1970 and dwcfireman like this

My department requires that you complete your probationary year before you are allowed to display a blue light.  Once you have the permit (signed by the chief) the rest is up to you to obey the VTL.

44 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

Funny thing about that, one of the proposals I am dealing with is that lights be turned off once you arrive at the scene.

This is definitely a great proposal.  First, with all of the apparatus on scene with flashing lights, the last thing we need is more flashing lights.  Turning off the blue lights on POVs reduces unnecessary distractions.  It's also safer for any local motorists that may be traversing the neighborhood by reducing distractions to them.  Also, there's no need to leave blue lights on when you're no where near your car.

4 hours ago, lalautze said:

I rarely use my light for response but being an officer I occasionally end up going direct to the scene (or come across an incident) and will use it then for visibility on-scene.

My department requires everyone to respond to the fire house, but POVs can go to the scene if there is no apparatus left AND the incident requires additional personnel (like a working fire).  However, I do see where coming across an incident could necessitate some extra visibility.  I've used my lights in a few situations where I've come across car accidents, especially at night.  It provides a beacon of sorts to other motorists to slow down a bit and to help guide in that first emergency vehicle.

AFS1970 likes this

Thanks for the replies.

I have also done some online research and found that few if any departments regulate lights. I can only assume that much is left up to common sense.

More and more people I know do not use lights any more. Not sure why. Since the lights are smaller, use less power and are much brighter than they were years ago, I am always surprised more people don't use them.

As for on scene, I think that has to be situational. If your POV is actually performing a function of some sort then leave them on, if just parking then turn them off.

Funny that without the usual debate only 5 replies compared to over 800 views.

If you are driving like an idiot with a blue light, you are an a-hole fireman, if you are driving like an idiot without a blue light then you are just like all the other a-holes out there. 

AFS1970, lemonice and SECTMB like this

18 hours ago, provfd said:

If you are driving like an idiot with a blue light, you are an a-hole fireman, if you are driving like an idiot without a blue light then you are just like all the other a-holes out there. 

That sums all of this up in a nutshell!

vodoly likes this

There's some guy's that do up Their Suv's almost as good as a fire Chief 's unit over by us in NJ what ever happened to just a tear drop light on the dash lol

AFS1970 likes this