FF402

Rye FD chief’s training called into question

4 posts in this topic

Back a few years ago when Chief Corcoran was chosen as Police Chief of Rye,did he not have full qualifications, now in the same City how is the Fire Chief permitted to lead folks in one of Americas  most dangerous professions and charged with the lives of it's firefighter and citizens plus their possessions. with no documented qualifications, when will professionalism ever hit the Fire service ?

BIGRED1 likes this

If someone wants to be chief, why would the company allow him to run for the position if he wasn't qualified to begin with?

OR, has the company allowed exceptions in the past to waive certain requirements, hence creating a precedent, that the company felt that it had to follow?

BIGRED1 likes this

I don't know Rye specifically, but I have seen a few departments that either haven't kept up with the times with regards to standards, or have made standards to get a certain candidate that then are way passed what any other candidate has. This is why requirements for office should be real attainable goals, that are reasonable to meet.

I have seen two departments that were very progressive for the time setting officer requirements. Then a few y7ears later have nobody who meets the requirements. For a while they had two Captains who were acting Chief & Assistant Chief because of the requirements.

Another factor that comes up is when nearby departments enact requirements, they sort of work towards building unofficial standards. This may inadvertently end up applying to a department if they find themselves behind the rest of the region. 

I would be more worried about a member that has had such a long absence from the active department. My FF1 class was 20 years ago, I am sure much has changed in what is considered basic. There is a fair amount of refresher training that should be required before anyone should let me strap on a white hat.

dwcfireman likes this