S1720G

Volunteer fire dept staffing

5 posts in this topic

I noticed the lake George convention is going on right now. At a time when volunteer fire departments seem to have an issue with staffing on a good day, does anyone find that having a great deal of the active membership several hours away negatively effect public safety ? What are some of the things your departments do during events like this (or other parades...) to alleviate staffing issues ? 

AFS1970, sueg and Newburgher like this

dead_horse.jpg

This is brought up EVERY parade season.  The answers never change, and neither does the inadequate level of response.

Edited by newsbuff
babhits16, Danger, vodoly and 12 others like this

It has been my experience that many departments, well at least the proactive ones, leave personnel behind to staff the firehouse when attending parades or other times a good number of members will be out of town. In fact in some cases staffing actually increases at these times as those left behind are committed to responding or better yet staffing the firehouse. Now if only VFDs would get on the bandwagon and staff their firehouses regularly the instances of inadequate responses could be dramatically reduced.

Westfield12, sueg and SageVigiles like this

City of Newburgh put on additional staff and apparatus over the weekend. I would assume partially because they were on automatic response to some border departments, and they have been burned in the past with locals not being able to crew on Spring Break Weekend. 

Westfield12, Danger and Newburgher like this