Nickyp

Medics In Westchester

20 posts in this topic

Hi, 

This is my first post, so hope i do this right.

I had a question about the medics in Westchester, I keep hearing the 45,34,,36, etc. medics and i don't understand what areas they respond to. I have somewhat of a understanding of the 45 medics and that they are a part of Westchester EMS and respond in some parts northern Westchester. But i don't relay understand the others and where they respond to and what organization they respond to. I am looking for some more info on they other medics in Westchester., like what parts of Westchester they respond to and what organization they are a part of.   

Thanks for the help,

Nick 

45 Medics  Medic 1 Armonk, Banksville, Chappaqua, Millwood, Mt Kisco, Bedford, Bedford Hills up to harris rd 

Medic 2 Katonah, Somers, Bedford Hills North of Harris Rd North Salem West of RTE 22

Medic 3 South Salem, North Salem East of 22, Vista, and Pound Ridge.

Katonah is central for them so when its one medic in service that medic reposts to katonah 

When medic 1 goes out medic 2 goes to mt kisco medic 3 goes central

when medic 2 or 3 goes out the other medic either 2 or 3 goes central. 

40Bravo1 a bls unit that picks up 911 calls from majority of the nursing homes in the 45 response area as first due.  also back fills for when a volunteer crew can not be mustered. 

Edited by Jybehofd
adding info that was missing
boca1day and LayTheLine like this

Who employs the medics? I've heard Westchester EMS mentioned a lot. Also, what do the first numbers(35, 45, etc.) Mean?

are there any other medic crews? 

1 hour ago, MiFF said:

Who employs the medics? I've heard Westchester EMS mentioned a lot. Also, what do the first numbers(35, 45, etc.) Mean?

so westchester ems has the contracts for 45 medics and 37 medics.  

the numbers for the fly car medics are for the response area the cars work in.  so when transcare went under and wems took over the mt pleasant medics the number didn't change to 45.  

where as ambulance agencies the first two numbers represent the agency

40 is westchester ems

51 is armonk fd

52 is bedford fd

and so on the B1 is BLS ambulance 1 for a said agency

so A1 would be an ALS amulance 1 for a said agency

here is a list of fire apparatus for the county... there used to be one for ems but i can't find it

http://emergencyservices.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/fire/APP2017.pdf

3 minutes ago, Jybehofd said:

so westchester ems has the contracts for 45 medics and 37 medics.  

the numbers for the fly car medics are for the response area the cars work in.  so when transcare went under and wems took over the mt pleasant medics the number didn't change to 45.  

where as ambulance agencies the first two numbers represent the agency

40 is westchester ems

51 is armonk fd

52 is bedford fd

and so on the B1 is BLS ambulance 1 for a said agency

so A1 would be an ALS amulance 1 for a said agency

here is a list of fire apparatus for the county... there used to be one for ems but i can't find it

http://emergencyservices.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/fire/APP2017.pdf

Oh ok cool info, I did not know 40B# were apart of wems 

2 minutes ago, Jybehofd said:

4 minutes ago, Jybehofd said:

Yes thank you, i have been apart of putting that page together i wanted to ask the medic question on here so i could help fill out that wiki. Lol 

But besides the medics that are listed above are there any other?

Edited by Nickyp

Yeah down county.  

Empress has or had flycars in Yonkers. Sorry I don’t know much about them. 

Mt Vernon I’m not sure if it’s a flycar or ambulance.  

New rochelle is three als ambulance from empress.  I don’t know if they got a fourth.  

Pelham has a flycar I believe 

Greenburg has flycar or cars for the river towns.  Tarrytown ivirington and Dobbs ferry.  And they cover elemsford  als wise. Elemsford FD has BLs ambulances.  

White plains I believe is empress they have a 24 als bus and a supervisor flycar medic.  I don’t know if the BLs is 24hrs yet I know they have been putting more units on when it was trancare in white plains 

grasslands is is covered by empress.  I know they had a 24 als bus I recently heard they might have put the medic in a flycar and put two ambulances on 24 hrs.  

Im sure other people on here know down county better then me sorry if I’m wrong with some of it 

As for the medics and the unit IDs, they can get confusing at times. The UID seems to chang every once in awhile, i dk if this is just them using a different radio like a portable or they use different truck or rig. I dk what this is but.... 

I have another question  if someone can help me. Its regarding the chief cars in Westchester. 

Is it true that the first three numbers in a car are the department number and the lat number is the Jurisdiction in witch the command, Like Car ###1 is the cheif and Car ###2 is the 1st assistant chief then Car ###3 is the 2nd assistant chief and so on....  But i am confused as to what happens after the last number is 3, is every department different? 

-Nick  

33 minutes ago, Nickyp said:

I have another question  if someone can help me. Its regarding the chief cars in Westchester. 

Is it true that the first three numbers in a car are the department number and the lat number is the Jurisdiction in witch the command, Like Car ###1 is the cheif and Car ###2 is the 1st assistant chief then Car ###3 is the 2nd assistant chief and so on....  But i am confused as to what happens after the last number is 3, is every department different? 

-Nick  

Nick... The first three numbers are the department number as you said.  Usually the last number denotes a decreasing level of command authority.  My old department (Millwood) is Westchester County Department 225.

2251 - Chief

2252 - 1st Assistant Chief

2253 - 2nd Assistant Chief

2254 - Captain

2255 - 1st Lieutenant

2256 - 2nd Lieutenant

2257 - 3rd Lieutenant

2258 - Safety Office (when I was there this may have changed)

2259 - Ex Chief that took acting chief role if one of the 3 active chiefs was out of town (this may have changed since then as well)

This is how it is set up for Millwood.  Other departments have more than one captain or they have deputy chiefs or more than 3 chiefs so the last number may designate one of those positions and the lieutenants may never have a county command number.

Hope this helps.

ARI1220 and Nickyp like this

On 10/11/2017 at 0:18 PM, mfc2257 said:

Nick... The first three numbers are the department number as you said.  Usually the last number denotes a decreasing level of command authority.  My old department (Millwood) is Westchester County Department 225.

2251 - Chief

2254 - Captain

2255 - 1st Lieutenant

2256 - 2nd Lieutenant

2257 - 3rd Lieutenant

2259 - Ex Chief that took acting chief role if one of the 3 active chiefs was out of town (this may have changed since then as well)

This is how it is set up for Millwood.  Other departments have more than one captain or they have deputy chiefs or more than 3 chiefs so the last number may designate one of those positions and the lieutenants may never have a county command number.

Hope this helps.

Thank you , This Helps a lot. 

I have Heard of "Tri-Village ALS" ,"Mamaroneck Amb. Dist" and "Yorktown ALS Dist". Are these medics or a private ambulance company? 

On 10/11/2017 at 0:18 PM, mfc2257 said:

2251 - Chief

2254 - Captain

2255 - 1st Lieutenant

2256 - 2nd Lieutenant

2257 - 3rd Lieutenant

Does anyone know the level of command in Somers? it might be the same as this but idk 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:30 PM, Nickyp said:

I have Heard of "Tri-Village ALS" ,"Mamaroneck Amb. Dist" and "Yorktown ALS Dist". Are these medics or a private ambulance company? 

The Town of Mamaroneck has an ambulance district. The district provides the medic and the Ambulance Corps (for the Town of Mamaroneck and (Larchmont) and Mamaroneck EMS for the village of Mamaroneck provide the ambulances. 

boca1day likes this

On 10/13/2017 at 4:30 PM, Nickyp said:

In Yorktown, Empress EMS supplies the Medics. 2 Medics during the day 1 at night.