dwcfireman

Community VFD Engine 91

7 posts in this topic

The Community VFD is just outside of Houston, TX.  Their new Engine 91 looks like it was thoroughly thought out, especially when it comes to the health and safety of its firefighters.  I thought I'd share the video walk-around:

**This video was originally posted by Churchville Fire Equipment of Churchville, NY through Pierce Manufacturing**

Never mind the use of space in the compartments, there are few other things that really stuck out to me as I watched the video.  The first is the painted bumper edges, giving firefighters extra grip when stepping up on the bumper and tailboard.  The next is the stepped tailboard, allowing easier access to the roof and hosebed.  The last, and the major point of the video, is placing the SCBA in an exterior compartment, keeping firefighters seated and belted while the rig is in motion, and keeping the dirty packs outside of the passenger compartment.  Oh, did I mention the air conditioning that runs while the rig is plugged into shore power?

nice truck but looks like a camel being a race horse.  i like the idea of keeping the scba's out of the back and the reasons why but they are still in the back with this design.  look a the video again especially at 2:43 seconds into it.  you will see that the scba compartment is open to the back of the truck so anything off gases from the packs will still be in the same compartment.  i like the idea and the reasons behind it but i don't get the way they did it.  

vodoly, LayTheLine and dwcfireman like this

I noticed the same thing about the air packs being left exposed to the crew compartment. I must have watched it 3 or 4 times and was thinking that there must be roll-down doors which they had raised for the video. I froze the video at 2:43 and it doesn't look like there any doors. If there are no roll-down doors then I think it would be more dangerous as the average gung-ho firefighter might unbuckle his/her seatbelt, stretch-over and reach in to get the air pack in an effort to get ready to fight the fire.  Very curious.... 

Overall I think they did a great job in designing the truck. 

Edited by LayTheLine
dwcfireman likes this

I think we just watched a very tangible example of some of the insanity taking hold on the fire service.

This Chief is all too proud of his accomplishment here, but he should have taken a break from digesting every "trend" in the fire service before he spec'd his new machine.

SCBAs taken out of cab, nothing new.

Phoenix and several large Department in Southern California have done this for years. However, taking them out due to carcinogen concerns is a really weak case.

What does the Chief intend to do about the PPE worn by firefighters? Think that might be a sink for carcinogens? How bout the bottom of your boots, ever really think what is hanging out there?

I'd be a lot less concerned about a hard surface such as an SCBA bottle or harness that can be wiped down after each use, then the proper gear cleaning habits or hygiene of a pretty fluid and dynamic group of end-users of this rig.

Not to mention, the extra long cab to accommodate the new SCBA compartment and the top mount pump panel. He just built a rig that is probably running upwards of 36-38 feet overall length. Although it is Texas, I am sure the guy driving the truck will really appreciate the wheel base the next time he has to try and turn into the driveway and fit between the brick pillars of every Ewing estate look-alike. 

dwcfireman, BBBMF, AFS1970 and 1 other like this

On 10/20/2017 at 8:57 PM, Jybehofd said:

nice truck but looks like a camel being a race horse.  i like the idea of keeping the scba's out of the back and the reasons why but they are still in the back with this design.  look a the video again especially at 2:43 seconds into it.  you will see that the scba compartment is open to the back of the truck so anything off gases from the packs will still be in the same compartment.  i like the idea and the reasons behind it but i don't get the way they did it.  

On 10/21/2017 at 0:17 AM, LayTheLine said:

I noticed the same thing about the air packs being left exposed to the crew compartment. I must have watched it 3 or 4 times and was thinking that there must be roll-down doors which they had raised for the video. I froze the video at 2:43 and it doesn't look like there any doors. If there are no roll-down doors then I think it would be more dangerous as the average gung-ho firefighter might unbuckle his/her seatbelt, stretch-over and reach in to get the air pack in an effort to get ready to fight the fire.  Very curious.... 

Overall I think they did a great job in designing the truck. 

I did notice that there were a lot of boxes inside the other compartments.  I'll throw out the assumption that they may have some special made covering for the SCBA compartments (I'm just guessing this since the slide-outs don't have the brackets yet, so there's still some work left).  But that's about as much benefit I can give them as far as the cab/SCBA interface.

And, indeed, this is well thought out rig!

14 hours ago, x152 said:

What does the Chief intend to do about the PPE worn by firefighters? Think that might be a sink for carcinogens? How bout the bottom of your boots, ever really think what is hanging out there?

I'd be a lot less concerned about a hard surface such as an SCBA bottle or harness that can be wiped down after each use, then the proper gear cleaning habits or hygiene of a pretty fluid and dynamic group of end-users of this rig.

Not to mention, the extra long cab to accommodate the new SCBA compartment and the top mount pump panel. He just built a rig that is probably running upwards of 36-38 feet overall length. Although it is Texas, I am sure the guy driving the truck will really appreciate the wheel base the next time he has to try and turn into the driveway and fit between the brick pillars of every Ewing estate look-alike. 

Yes, the PPE is going to collect far more carcinogens than any of our tools and SCBA ever will.  At least removing the SCBA from the passenger compartment is a start.  I think this is more of firefighter safety concern than it is a carcinogen concern, though.  Obviously, keeping firefighters seated and secured while the rig is in motion is good thing so that we can all make it to the scene safely.  Removing the action of trying to don the SCBA pack while the rig is moving reduces injury in the even of an accident (even if it is just the FF losing balance and falling out the seat during a hard turn).

Yes, proper gear cleaning will solve a lot of the issues of cleanliness, especially when it comes to firefighter health and safety.  Period.  You can't argue against that.  I just wish more firefighters would take better care of their gear and wash it on a regular basis.

Yes, the rig is going to be longer with this configuration.  Of course, a side mount pump panel helps reduce the overall length...BUT, the overall length and turning radius should be considered during the spec phase.  We're never going to be able to spec a truck to fit in every driveway in our districts, but we can at least consider most of them.  Heck, one of the trucks can be spec'ed for the tighter driveways, just so that there is something to make it to the front door!  

LayTheLine likes this