NYStech

Use of red lights in personal vehicles

13 posts in this topic

I was just curious if anyone new a way that you can legally use red lights and sirens in a personal vehicle? I use to volunteer out of state and I was allowed to use them in my personal car and now that I'm back in New York I don't want to take these lights out, any depts I can volunteer for that allow it? Red Cross? Ambulance corps? Anything?

You could volunteer as an EMT, but your corps would need to have the state certify your personal vehicle a a corps fly car. of become a Chief officer of an FD or Ambulance corps

vodoly, AFS1970 and NYStech like this

45 minutes ago, EMT111 said:

You could volunteer as an EMT, but your corps would need to have the state certify your personal vehicle a a corps fly car. of become a Chief officer of an FD or Ambulance corps

@EMT111  do you know of any ambulance corps that run red lights the sides hatzolah? I am waiting for them to contact me back

On 12/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, NYStech said:

@EMT111  do you know of any ambulance corps that run red lights the sides hatzolah? I am waiting for them to contact me back

Any ambulance corps can do it, you just have to find a corps that has officers that are willing to consider your vehicle an official agency fly car and tell the state so. On the flip side though, that means you are responsible for meeting all state requirements to, such as what equipment you carry, markings on your vehicle, having your vehicle inspected at any time by state EMS to make sure you are compliant with requirements, etc. I don't know of anyone besides Hatzolah who allows members, other than chief officers, to run red lights in their personal vehicles

NYStech likes this

1 hour ago, somebuffyguy said:

Can anyone explain to me what this fascination is with red lights? Why would someone join any agency, exclusively for red lights?

i use to do ems out of state and had red lights in my car because that’s what was allowed, now i don’t wanna have them all taken out nor do i want to get in trouble for having them so i’m looking to get back into ems in the state so just looking to see if any agencies allow it around the island @somebuffyguy

30 minutes ago, soboss34 said:

Change the lenses to green or blue. 

lenses? been a while since you can do that lol everything is colored led with white lenses @soboss34

Check the laws, they may say “display” a red light. 

Well, just read the law. It says affixed. So, if you wish to be compliant, you should take them out. The likelihood of getting an ambulance corps to certify your vehicle to what amounts to a fly car is low. 

Edited by STAT213
Bad info

Not trying to sound like a d**k, but either;

Remove the lights and get over it, leave them in and don't use them or become an officer in a VAC/FD that will allow you to use them. 

It's hard enough to get people to pull over for marked emergency vehicles (i.e. Police cars, fire apparatus, ambulances). 

I'm aware that other states allow the use of RLS. In some areas, I could see the benefits. However, in the metro NY area, not so much. 

I'm sure you spent lots of money on your lights and equipment. Perhaps you could sell them to try and recoup some of your money? 

Either way, best of luck to you and happy holidays. 

AFS1970 and vodoly like this