Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What does this NYPD truck do?

8 posts in this topic

Saw this photo on (New England) FireNews.org:

http://www.massmetrofire.org/misc/NYPDCommUnit.jpg

Definetly some type of comm unit as the title says, but what exactly is it's function? That looks like a TV truck tower on top?

And there is another seal on the door which I don't reconize.

The NYPD does have there own camera and video crew that sometimes follows them around catching some of the g ood moments and some of the bad. The only reason i know this is because down at the police academy they have a wall full of this gentlemens accomplishments who died in 9-11-01 :cry: that was apart of there crew.

P.O. Glen Petit was assigned to the Police Academy Video Unit and was responsible for the production of many of the internal, public relations, and training films authored by the NYPD.

That vehicle is assigned to TARU. Technical Assistance Resource Unit.

my understanding is that nypd taru has their own complete microwave tv uplink system capable of sending live tv from any scene located in the nyc metro area back to both the various command centers in NYC, and the remote command centers (one of which is (or at least was) up in sullivan co. basically it is nypd-tv

it is supposed to be as, if not more capable than, any of the nyc broadcast networks (just something i read somewhere)

That vehicle is assigned to TARU. Technical Assistance Resource Unit.

taru stands for technical assistance response unit

wcr20 has it right. Thats a microwave transmitter ontop and it is used for transmitting video and other information in real time directly to any of the various command centers located throughout the city

Several years ago the NYPD got FCC mircowave lic, they use this rig to send and video feeds juct like the local TV stations