Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Sleepy Hollow...North Tarrytown

9 posts in this topic

Before you all laugh at me...I am from out of county so please excuse this question.....Sleepy Hollow is/was North Tarrytown?? When did the Department change it's name...anyone with a bit of history about this?

If I'm not mistaking, the Village of North Tarrytown officially changed its name to Sleepy Hollow about 8-10 years ago, roughly.

It may be less or more, I just can't remember the exact date.

The whole reasoning behind it - to the best of my memory - was to honor the history behind the headless horseman and the rest of the legend.

Being from Sleepy Hollow this is the story I was told. I thnk it was 1995 when the Village changed the name, It was planned for when the GM plant closed. Since the village was losing a big investment with GM gone they switched over for the toursit money. It also is to honor the legend.

that is exactly what i heard calhobs

The correct answer is...In the mid 90's..aprox. 1996, the village changed its name via a referendum. The village long believed it lacked an identity due to the fact that it was called North Tarrytown and shared its zip code with Tarrytown. Most people just combined the 2 in thought. This even though the 2 are in seperate towns (Mount Pleasant and Greenburgh). They changed the name but even today many people (as well as the fire apparatus) still refer to it as North Tarrytown.

The correct answer is...In the mid 90's..aprox. 1996, the village changed its name via a referendum. The village long believed it lacked an identity due to the fact that it was called North Tarrytown and shared its zip code with Tarrytown. Most people just combined the 2 in thought. This even though the 2 are in seperate towns (Mount Pleasant and Greenburgh). They changed the name but even today many people (as well as the fire apparatus) still refer to it as North Tarrytown.

Correct.

The only apparatus that still carry the "North Tarrytown" monniker are the ones palced in to service PRIOR to the name change.

The Village / FD did not spend $$ to re-paint them.

Any apparatus placed in to service AFTER the change carry the words "Sleepy Hollow".

Currently E85/Rescue Hose says "North Tarrytown" on the door but NEW 85 will say "Sleepy Hollow".

An interesting twist is that OLD E86/Union Hose (1981 ALF) has "Sleepy Hollow Land" on the door under the words "North Tarrytown, NY" but when their new ALF was delivered it wears the "Sleepy Hollow" verbiage.

FWIW, my helmet shield still says "NTFD" even though I joined well after the name change... :rolleyes:

-cmc-

Engine 87 and R-12 still say NTFD also

Correct... because they were placed in to service PRIOR to the name change.

-cmc-

So does that mean they have to rename the Legend of Sleepy Hollow to the Legend of North Tarrytown? Just doesnt have that samw scary ring... B)