Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
21Truck

Requirements for rescue truck classification in NY

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for info on what requirements as far as tools go for a truck to be classified as a rescue in NYS. I have an agency running a truck with equipment that is damaged and unsafe and personnel non trained and like to know what equipment they need to carry to be called a rescue

In Westchester County a Rescue is...

"A support vehicle, not designed for patient transport but contains tools for life support, extrication, emergency medical care."

There are no requirements in NY...as usual !!! no standards...no training....buy a truck and call it a rescue and there you have it!

There are no requirements in NY...as usual !!!    no standards...no training....buy a truck and call it a rescue and there you have it!

"as usual" is my favorite part...how right you are! We need some standards guys. While some departments may take this on themselves (rightfully so), something needs to be set in place by the state, or atleast the county level. I don't understand how Maryland can pull these requirements off no problem, and NYS hasn't looked into this. And it doesn't stop at rescue companies......

22 Truck & VWWH1

I absolutely agree with you. Without a doubt there needs to be standards set for minimum equipment as well as training for a rescue company.

I have also noticed some departments have purchased rescue apparatus, put a lot of “high-tech†equipment on them…but no one knows how to use it. This is just plain unsafe.

I am a little surprised NYS hasn’t come up with a set of “minimum standards & typing†for rescue apparatus. (ie. Heavy Rescue, Light Rescue, Special Rescue)