Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Ford C-Model Apparatus

22 posts in this topic

I couldnt help but noticing that across the northeast and maybe the nation, one of the most popular chassis on which rescues and pumpers were built used to be the Ford commercial duty C-Series Cab Over. (Manufacturing of these trucks stopped some time ago). Does anyone know why these trucks were so popular, or anyone have more info on these trucks? As for the ones that ran or still run around the area i can think of Pumpers- Pound Ridge Engine 111, Thornwood Engine 290, Scarsdale Engine 57, I believe North White Plains has one as well. As for rescues i believe that ossining and mt kisco once ran rigs, as well as cos cob and darien in ct.

Edited by BedfordFire

I Know that North White Plains has 2 - Eng 74 I think it is like a 1980 and Eng 75 It's like a 1977.

yup eng 74/75 are although 75 was placed as a spare after the arrival of L47 in 2001

75 is not a spare, we rotate them every 6 months. but there basically the same truck except eng 47 (currently in service) has the 40ft ladder on top.

75 is not a spare, we rotate them every 6 months. but there basically the same truck except eng 47 (currently in service) has the 40ft ladder on top.

There was also BIG patrol 2 out of cos cob fire police

Yes, Ossining Ran a Rescue on a Ford C-Model and did Mt. Kisco. Really unsure on years though. Also West Nyack in Rockland ran a Rescue looking similar to these two aswell, but was white over Yellow.

cos cob's was replaced by a new pierce

darien's was replaced by a spartan saulsbury & the ford is now owned by the darien pd and used as their scuba truck

new canaan's was sold to norwalk fd & they remounted the saulsbury body on an old spartan engine chassis

springdale's snorkel is still in service

It was the price guys !....It was the $$$ !!!

Yes, I have to agree, the ford C's were VERY popular. I know that congers in rockland has one, 3-H.P., conwall used to have one a long time ago, of corse we all know that lake carmel had one not to long ago, harriman in orange had one, unionville had one, cold spring still has two, rosendale in ulster had one a long time ago and pine bush, at one time, had three, they have R-232 which is a rescue pumper, and then their is E-226 a regular pumper, and they just replaced a tanker, TA-230, that also had a ford C cab.

The U.S. Air Force ran them up until early to mid 80's.

Edited by 210

It was the price guys !....It was the $$$ !!!

I agree, without a doubt it was all about the $$$.

In regards to the Ford-C cab truck, It was known as "the Budd Cab". It was manufactured by the Budd Co. of Philadelphia. It was originally designed for the Ford Co. in 1957, and used for a various type of vehicles.The cab was also used for the rare Mack N-cab. It was primarily used for pumpers and tankers, the odd rescue and I believe one ladder somewhere in PA. the major difference in outward apperance is a metal strip between the headlights and type of engine used-Ford used gas and cat diesels and Mack used their diesel. The N was phased out in early 62'.The C survived until it was replaced by the Cargo series in the late 80's-early 90's

Yes, Ossining Ran a Rescue on a Ford C-Model and did Mt. Kisco. Really unsure on years though. Also West Nyack in Rockland ran a Rescue looking similar to these two aswell, but was white over Yellow.

Ossining's Rescue 14. . .. (Thanks to Firemn2742A for the pic!)

Was "delivered" around 1974 I think - I remember going over to Pleasantville Ford When I was little to check up on it's progress!! It was like my dad's second home for a while there!

post-2680-1141078706.jpg

Edited by nyemt131411

I couldnt help but noticing that across the northeast and maybe the nation, one of the most popular chassis on which rescues and pumpers were built used to be the Ford commercial duty C-Series Cab Over. (Manufacturing of these trucks stopped some time ago). Does anyone know why these trucks were so popular, or anyone have more info on these trucks? As for the ones that ran or still run around the area i can think of Pumpers- Pound Ridge Engine 111, Thornwood Engine 290, Scarsdale Engine 57, I believe North White Plains has one as well. As for rescues i believe that ossining and mt kisco once ran rigs, as well as cos cob and darien in ct.

AS LISTED IN OTHER REPLY'S, MONEY WAS A FACTOR, OVER ALL LENGTH WITH THE CAB OVER AND THE ABILITY TO CONVERT THEM INTO CANOPY CABS FOR ADDITIONAL SEATING, THERE ARE SOME STILL IN SERVICE IN DUTCHESS CTY. DOVER PLAINS HAS 3, 2 IN ACTIVE SERVICE AND 1 RESERVE BEING SOLD SOON, ROOSEVELT, PLEASANT VALLEY ETC...

Ossining's Rescue 14. . .. (Thanks to Firemn2742A for the pic!)

Was "delivered" around 1974 I think - I remember going over to Pleasantville Ford When I was little to check up on it's progress!!  It was like my dad's second home for a while there!

I loved that truck, I don't really know why but it was a good classic looking rescue to me. That picture is from the 1995 Main St. Fire, Looks like the following day.

Orange CT runs a Ford / Pierce as spare Engine 31

Oxford has 2 in reserve status (unknown body manufacturer) one is in Oxfrod Center and one is in Riverside.

Monroe FD runs a Ford C chassis for Rescue 220

Stepney Has Engine 103(?) Ford C spare pumper

Avon Engine 11 " The Ugly Duckling", pictures are on Gowans-Kinght's webs site

Bethlehem did have one but I thik it is retired.

Cos Cob Patrol 2 was a Ford C rescue / salvage

Hamden's Mix District Vol Engine 7 is a Ford C / FMC

Didn't Danbury Engine 9 run a Ford-C pumper that was replaced by the HME / Toney?

There are a couple more in CT in service but I have to research them.

I loved that truck, I don't really know why but it was a good classic looking rescue to me. That picture is from the 1995 Main St. Fire, Looks like the following day.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. Lots of cool memories too - I remember one - A driver one time was kinda in a race to beat my dad to the rig - he got i and pulled out on the tarmac that he forgot to unplud the charger - when they got gack to the hosue the plug and part of the wire were still hanging off the side of the rig!!! Pretty good one!!

Edited by nyemt131411

Orange CT runs a  Ford / Pierce as spare Engine 31

Oxford has 2 in reserve status (unknown body manufacturer) one is in Oxfrod Center and one is in Riverside.

Didn't Danbury Engine 9 run a Ford-C pumper that was replaced by the HME / Toney?

Danbury :

Indepedent Eng 4, Beckerle Eng 9, Water Witch Squad 7, Beaver Brook Eng 11 all ran C models thru the 70's and 80's and 90's. Waterwitch still runs a Cmodel / E-one rescue type.

Bethel:

Stony Hill Fire co - Engine 1 was a 1964 c/WLF used till 1984. Was used as Bethel Engine 6 for a year, while the Mack was refurbed.

West Redding had two C models during the 70' and early 80's.

Ridgefield ran a cmodel/maxim ladder that went to Georgetown

Sandy hook ran a c model / e-one during the 80's

Katonah ran a 1964 as are Rescue Truck, until 1999 when are Pierce replaced it.

Orange CT runs a  Ford / Pierce as spare Engine 31

Beckerle Hose Danbury Engine 9 ran a 1989 Ford C/E-one and the Engine Before that was a 1969? Ford C / Ward LaFrance. One of the reason they used the cab was that most custom cabs would not fit into the firehouse. The '89 Ford was replaced in 2003 with an HME/Toyne.

Edited by LtbubsE9

Thanks guys on the Danbury Co. 9 question.

A few more, Bridgeport old Squad 5 was a Ford C (the yellow one)

East Brooklyn ran one as a engine.

Baltic FD in Sprague has two as pumpers