RWC130

BACKDRAFT Engine 17 For Sale

9 posts in this topic

BACKDRAFT

Engine 17 - For Sale Photo

[attachmentid=2214]

Engine 17 - Movie Set Photo

[attachmentid=2215]

1988 Ward LaFrance Ambassador, Detroit turbo diesel, Allison Automatic, air brakes, 2,000 gpm Waterous, 500 gal tank, foam system w/40 gal poly tank, deck gun w/stacked tips, (4) 6" hard suction, 400' of 3" nst, 100' of 2.5" nst, 24' & 14' ladders, appliances, adapters, warning lights, lightbar and sirens. 53,994 miles. Asking $40,000

www.firetech.com

Not sure if it is...but real close huh? biggrin.gif

post-3-1174497638.jpg

post-3-1174497668.jpg

If only I had 40 grand laying around haha

I've seen those trucks around before. Why go with the suction mounted on the roof?

The real engines used in the movie are privately owned by a collector in Minnesota, and were last known to be in the process of being restored.

I've seen those trucks around before. Why go with the suction mounted on the roof?

it might just be because its hard to fit the rig into the firehouse and couldnt mount them too much higher on the back so just mounted them on the roof, I dunno just my guess

The real engines used in the movie are privately owned by a collector in Minnesota, and were last known to be in the process of being restored.

The second picture is NOT the actual E-17 used in Backdraft. It is owned by a department in PA, if I remember right. The engine used in Backdraft is privately owned, as Andy said.

It is also not a 1988, it is a 1970, that was refurbed in 1988.

Edited by JBE

JBE & AndyC3J Good Catch! biggrin.gif

I did notice something though, In the photo the Engine For Sale and the photo of

Engine 17 the Chicago FD logo is on the rear jump seat doors but on the Code 3 collectables it's between the drivers door and the jump seat door.

Where is it supposed to be?

Any Chicago FD buffs on EMTBravo?

Here is some additional information:

Credit:

Code 3 Collectibles

http://www.code3.net/product/detail.asp?item=12392

Hollywood Uses Real Chicago Apparatus

The Chicago Fire Department loaned Universal Studios several pieces of apparatus for the movie BACKDRAFT. Among them is a renumbered Ward LaFrance Pumper. Code 3 Collectibles has replicated the fire engine as seen in the movie with hard suction hoses on the cab roof; diamond plated detailing and authentic CFD markings. Collect with 12495 Chicago Mack CF Rear Mount L-46 and 13107 Chicago Firehouse as a set!

Trivia on the Making of the Movie

When Ron Howard filmed BACKDRAFT he made the Chicago Fire Department one of the most recognized departments in the country. It is very unusual for Hollywood to use actual authentic apparatus. Most movies using fire apparatus are filmed on the West Coast and use privately owned trucks painted to reflect the city they are meant to represent.

The most recognized engine from the movie would be Engine 17. Engine 17 started service with the Chicago Fire Department in July of 1970. This1970 Ward LaFrance Pumper was first assigned to Engine Co. 8. The pumper was later assigned to Engine 18. In 1987, it was refurbed with a Ranger cab and E-One body before it was given to Ron Howard's production group in July of 1990. Ron Howard used Engine 18 (portrayed as Engines 17 & 51 in the movie) until February of 1991. After the filming of the movie, the apparatus was given to Engine 69 were it remained in-service until 1995 when it was disposed of.

Three different ladder trucks were used as the famous Truck 46 in filming BACKDRAFT. A 1972 Mack CF with a 100' Pirsh Ladder was customized by Ron Howard by adding updated headlights, a siren, warning lights and customizing some bodywork. The Tiller was a 1976 International Harvester Tractor Drawn Ladder with a CFA Clintonville Trailer and 100' Seagrave Ladder. The American LaFrance 100' truck was assigned to Truck 36 before the movie and after the movie was a shop spare.

A 1978 American LaFrance Century Pumper was marked in the movie as Engine 67 & 25. The Engine was originally Engine 46 of the Chicago Fire Department and after filming was returned to the department as Engine 80. Engine 24 was also an American LaFrance Century Pumper. It was marked 24, 27 and 17 in the movie. It was Engine 34 of the CFD before filming and Engine 28 after.

Along with using authentic apparatus, Ron Howard also used Chicago's firehouses to retain the authenticity in his movie. The firehouses used in filming were Engine Co. 65 (which was Engine Companies 17 and 46 in the movie), Engine Co. 51 (Robert DeNiro's office) was filmed at Engine Co. 8, in China Town and training drills were filmed at Engine Co. 49.

Damn! Some vollie Department in Pennsylvania bought that rig, I still have the FAJ with the purchase, just not on me right now! Perhaps someone here will buy it! LOL.

-Joe DA BUFF