Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

Nearly $700K axed from city budget

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate - 05/08/2008

STAMFORD - In a meeting that ended late Tuesday, the Board of Representatives cut nearly $700,000 from the city's operating budget, making almost equal reductions to municipal and education funding. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_9190169

Edited by jack10562

Battle continues over fire department

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate 5/11/08

STAMFORD - Hostility between the firefighters union and the Turn of River Fire Department boiled over last week, when the union board decided to withdraw from mediation in the city's battle to consolidate paid and volunteer fire companies.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_9229607?

So if no agreement between the city, union and the department happens by July 1st, does that mean that there will be layoffs in TOR or do they just automatically become SFRD employees by default?

Now guys are losing pay for what shirt they are wearing??? It seems to be getting worse and worse in Stamford and someone needs to get control of that very volatile situation.

So if no agreement between the city, union and the department happens by July 1st, does that mean that there will be layoffs in TOR or do they just automatically become SFRD employees by default?

Now guys are losing pay for what shirt they are wearing??? It seems to be getting worse and worse in Stamford and someone needs to get control of that very volatile situation.

Joe, as far as the union is concerned we have a binding CBA that was voted on and passed by the body and the board of reps which has a couple of items of interest in it but i'll only touch on a few here

1. On or before July 1 2008 the career members of Turn of River Dist become Stamford Fire and Rescue employees

2. There will be 2 (two) new engines created #8 and #9 respectively. They were created for TOR but we'l wait and see what happens

3. There is a NO LAYOOF CLAUSE for all members of 786 unitl the end of this contract

As for on going neg. well only time will tell what comes out of it

One more little tid bit for you Joe and I know you hate to hear anything involving the elder Coppola but after he tried to have Glenbrook's money cut from the budget failed the Chief of Glenbrook and the ranking Vollunteer Officer have started working towards removing Belltown from responding into their district.....The saga comtinues!!!!!!!!!!1

One more little tid bit for you Joe and I know you hate to hear anything involving the elder Coppola but after he tried to have Glenbrook's money cut from the budget failed the Chief of Glenbrook and the ranking Vollunteer Officer have started working towards removing Belltown from responding into their district.....

Well at this point, all anyone has is your word on this, which makes it an unsubstantiated rumor.

If it does become truth and reality remains to be seen.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of calls fielded by the Glenbrook Fire Department since January 3, 2008 have actually seen the volunteers man a rig and get it out the door.

Maybe when the unsubstantiated rumor about stopping from Belltown from responding into the Glenbrook District is confirmed or denied by the chief, or the ranking volunteer officer, the question of their performance in their own district can be answered as well.

Dragging someone's politician father into the mix can also be construed as out of line, but I am not offended as nothing suprises me anymore with my dad and this whole mess. My union brothers at 786 know where I stand, as I have always been a supporter of them, weather in the career houses or the volley houses. My views are NOT in line with my fathers and I have stood by that consistently during this whole thing. I have no influence on my fathers decisions, poor or otherwise, and he has none on mine. Those who know me know that.

Joe

Joe I do apologize for even bringing that issue to you on this board. I was in no way trying to start up a fire storm in here or disrespect you in any way. I just wanted to give you a heads up on it just in case it does happen.

Again I apologize

It seems that I have struck a nerve in some members of this board which was not my intention at all. If you re-read my statement it was for Joe....but that being said I find it it very poor taste to mention anyones family in this on going fiasco.

May I respectfully submit that if you have a statement meant for one person it would be best communicated using the private message feature of this board? Posting it publicly invites public comment.

I will speak up for Glenbrook a little bit here. While they may have 6 or 10 "actual" volunteers on their rosters, by actual I mean volunteers that are under the age of lets say 60 and can function those 6 members have created and fully man a truck company. Not one or two guys on a machine just to have the machines roll out but a min. of four men......seems like a smart way to operate

While you are speaking up for Glenbrook can you let the rest of us know how many times since January 3, 2008 they have gotten a rig on the road? Maybe it's just me, but proclaiming oneself a truck company should involve a little more than 4 firefighters on an aerial piece. Strategy? Tactics? Unique challenges inherent to members of a truck company performing the tasks expected of them at a fire?

Joe I do apologize for even bringing that issue to you on this board. I was in no way trying to start up a fire storm in here or disrespect you in any way. I just wanted to give you a heads up on it just in case it does happen.

Again I apologize

No need...but thanks for saying it. I read the article and already had a confidential discussion about it with the "elder". I am trying to just be a sympathetic ear and avoid more arguements on the homefront. I agree that dragging Brendan into this is just a means to start more crap, as the situation is so volitile and tempers are flaring. Even though I mentioned closing the topic, another moderator might just do it because they may be unaware of how intense this issue is.

Again, no need to apologize, as I take no offense, it is what it is.

May I respectfully submit that if you have a statement meant for one person it would be best communicated using the private message feature of this board? Posting it publicly invites public comment.

While you are speaking up for Glenbrook can you let the rest of us know how many times since January 3, 2008 they have gotten a rig on the road? Maybe it's just me, but proclaiming oneself a truck company should involve a little more than 4 firefighters on an aerial piece. Strategy? Tactics? Unique challenges inherent to members of a truck company performing the tasks expected of them at a fire?

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong and ************** you are right....this is something I should have contacted Joe directly with to solve any problems

As for the Glenbrook run issue, how many times have they gotten out? Not sure but the information can be obtained and as for the second part of your statement the SFRD crew stationed at Glenbroook and the Glenbrook volunteer crew have been training together and from what I hear the SFRD / GFD training will increase.

**************, As the officer assigned to Engine 6 currently in group 4, I can attest to the training with GFD. They know they have a fully staffed Engine, what would be the sense of manning another Engine. A Truck company would be the next piece I would want to staff. And yes they are staffing them with 4-6 men every time they go out the door. As for an exact number, I couldn't begin to come up with the number, because I don't work every shift. Speaking for my group, group 4, I can honestly say they have been on quite a few calls with us. I can't give you a number, because I know and you know it would not be accurate. Its nice to know that they are coming behind us because we don't know if BVFD is going to get out of the door. Perhaps you should worry a little more about your department than anyone elses. And I am not hiding behind a ficticious screen name either making accusations and stirring the pot. You can find me on the roster. Group 4 Station 6.

P.S. Good DDDOGG WOOF WOOF

PJ,

Thanks for posting. My name is Pat Kilbride, we have met more than once, so now you know the name and the person behind the screen name.

Let me say to Redddogg that it isn't a matter of I am right and you are wrong, and as such I do not mean for my comments to be taken as stirring the pot. I was simply trying to respectfully point out what seemed to be apparent to me.

Looking forward to the future, PJ I do understand your thoughts and concerns when you say that you don't know if BVFD is going to get out of the door, but if past performance is any indicator it sure looks like the members at Belltown have made the commitment to ensure the safety and well being of the residents of our district. If Glenbrook decides they do not want or need Belltown on their responses, it's certainly no skin off of our noses.

It is gratifying to hear that the members of Glenbrook are getting training, anyone who knows me will agree that I have always been a proponent for good education, with meaningful, productive drills that leave everyone participating a better firefighter than before they started.

As far as worrying about my department more than anyone else's, I will take your advice. Thanks for the tip!

Take care now,

Pat

I can attest to Pat's level of dedication to training, as I have been part of his drills either as an instructor or student. Any further discussion of the topic of Glenbrook vs. Belltown or otherwise should take place in private messaging, and personal attacks and cheapshots will be dealt with accordingly. I have to say though that it is sad to see things unfold the way they are, since being a veteran member of Belltown, I remember the absolutely awesome rapport BFD and GFD used to share. It is hard for me to see the system changing as it is, it must be very, very difficult to be living it on a daily basis as the Stamford volunteers and the members of the bargaining unit (786) have to. I wish all parties luck in coming to a final, workable, liveable arrangement. Lets leave dads, kids and personalities out of it...deal?

Joe C.

Brothers,

Cant we all just get along? :lol:

Lets meet for a beer and bury the hatchets.

Cameras are flash point of protests at firehouse

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate 05/16/2008

STAMFORD - Springdale Fire Co.'s decision to install cameras in a common area of the firehouse has ignited protests from the city and the firefighters union, who view the surveillance as harassment of paid firefighters.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_9278682

Territory dispute mars volunteer fire talks

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate - 05/19/2008

STAMFORD - Turn of River volunteer fire officials said they learned last week - days before today's scheduled mediation with the city - that city officials plan to set up trailers for paid firefighters in their district.

".

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_9306947?

City, fire department mediation shows promise

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate 05/21/2008

STAMFORD - A mediation session Monday raised hopes that the city and the volunteer Turn of River Fire Department can agree on how to manage the fire district.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_9329413

Officials: Cameras banned in lounges

Wynne Parry - Staff Writer

Stamford Advocate - 05/25/2008

The Springdale Fire Co.'s plan to install surveillance cameras in lounges in its firehouse violates a state law that prohibits employers from recording employees' activities in certain areas, according to union and city officials.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_9374403

Turn of River Fire Department asks court's help

By Wynne Parry

Stamford Advocate - 05/26/2008

STAMFORD - Faced with a devastating budget cut when the new fiscal year starts July 1, Turn of River Fire Department has filed a lawsuit against the city and Mayor Dannel Malloy.

."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_9381540

Residents sue the city over construction of fire facility

By Wynne Parry

Staff Writer

Stamford Advocate - 05/30/2008

STAMFORD - Residents of Long Ridge Road have added their voices to a dispute between the city and the volunteer Turn of River Fire Department by filing a lawsuit accusing the city of failing to get permits for construction near their home and destroying trees.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_9423198

Edited by jack10562

False issues for Fire Department

Staff Reports

Stamford Advocate

Article Launched:

To the editor:

Brendan Keatley's shameless public attack on the Turn of River Fire Department is so absurd, it would be laugh-out-loud funny if the lives, property and tax money of Stamford's citizens weren't at stake.

Mr. Keatley loves to speak in bombastic but completely dishonest generalizations. Earlier in this conflict, he had the nerve to publicly (through quotes in The Advocate) question the efficiency of TOR, despite the department's spotless public safety record (and yes, it is spotless - all a matter of public record, for you doubters). Now, Keatley has the audacity to make the foolish claim that TOR has "begun to take disciplinary action against employees who support the consolidation" (news story, May 12) - a blatant accusation of partisan persecution when nothing could be further from the truth.

Mr. Keatley's only piece of evidence that he feels confident enough to make public - a firefighter being sent home for being out of uniform - is ludicrous. I don't care if you work for TOR, Blockbuster Video or McDonald's, if you show up at work but refuse to get into uniform, you get sent home, end of story.

What Keatley conveniently fails to mention is that TOR Chief Frank Jacobellis sent said uncooperative firefighter home - but also said he was welcome to return for his next shift if he showed up in uniform. This is persecution?

Stamford Advocate Letters to the Editor

Click on the Link for the original source

When will this ever end ?

I read the entire letter to the editor and I think it is quite flawed on many fronts. First of all, the writer only identifies himself by name and does not give his association with the TRFD, which makes his side of the story seem nothing more than a my-story-is-better-than-your-story rant. Second of all, the writer neglects to identify President Brendan Keatley as the Local 786 President, which makes his actions and words a bit more credible, like them or not.

Also bear this in mind...If there are union brothers or sisters in a firehouse, Union activity is protected and the paid union personnel can request representation for any reason any time they want. The union should not have to ask anyone to see thier dues-paying members, the place is a public building and the volunteer chief is not a "King" who can disallow an audience. As an IAFF member, I take offense at union brothers being neglected of this visitation due to a pissing match.

I am and continue to be ashamed at the way this whole situation is being handled on all sides. It has shown itself to be unproductive and a terrible waste of taxpayer dollars and time that can be spent on more productive things that have to do with city government and running effective emergency services.

When will this ever end ?

Not any time soon....

I read the entire letter to the editor and I think it is quite flawed on many fronts. First of all, the writer only identifies himself by name and does not give his association with the TRFD, which makes his side of the story seem nothing more than a my-story-is-better-than-your-story rant. Second of all, the writer neglects to identify President Brendan Keatley as the Local 786 President, which makes his actions and words a bit more credible, like them or not.

Joe, on your first point, I would have to agree with you, I think that if Mr. Higle has any association with the TRFD he should disclose it. Just seems like common sense to me.

However, I fail to understand how identifying Mr. Keatley as the Local 786 president should make his actions and words a bit more credible.

I beleive in the old proverb, that the man makes the title, as opposed to the title making the man. Credibility stems from character, not a position of authority.

Joe, on your first point, I would have to agree with you, I think that if Mr. Higle has any association with the TRFD he should disclose it. Just seems like common sense to me.

However, I fail to understand how identifying Mr. Keatley as the Local 786 president should make his actions and words a bit more credible.

I beleive in the old proverb, that the man makes the title, as opposed to the title making the man. Credibility stems from character, not a position of authority.

Not going to debate Local 786's President's credibility, none of my business, I did say "like it or not" on the actions. A union official has a job to do and the vollies are hardly ever going to like it, thats simply too bad. I just can't believe that the hostility is solely on the side of the union. It seems to me that shots are being fired from both sides. The letter to the editor was one side of a boat-load of drama, period. And, subsequently, it looks really bad from the outside.

Not going to debate Local 786's President's credibility, none of my business, I did say "like it or not" on the actions. A union official has a job to do and the vollies are hardly ever going to like it, thats simply too bad. I just can't believe that the hostility is solely on the side of the union. It seems to me that shots are being fired from both sides. The letter to the editor was one side of a boat-load of drama, period. And, subsequently, it looks really bad from the outside.

Joe, I wasn't debating Mr. Keatley's credibility.

I was pointing out my disagreement with your statement that his actions and words should be more credible if he has been identified as a union official.

And, in the same train of thought, I maintain that nobody should be any more or less credible because of an office or title bestowed upon them. Each person should stand on their own merits. Sorry if this is getting a little bit philosophical here. Happily, it seems we can have an intelligent conversation without it degrading, and I am happy for that.

You characterize Mr. Higle's letter to the editor as a rant, and a one-sided boatload of drama, and I respect your opinion. I attempted to go back in the Stamford Advocate archives to access the news article published on May 12 that Mr. Higle referenced several times in his letter, however tha article could not be accessed without paying $2.95. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and pony up the cash so I can read what Mr. Higle was referring to.

I agree with your statement that a union official has a job to do, I personally respect that as well. Maybe you could fill those of us who aren't in the know as to what exactly are the responsibilities, tasks, and duties a union official is charged with? I ask simply out of curiosity and for my own edification.

I agree with your statement that a union official has a job to do, I personally respect that as well. Maybe you could fill those of us who aren't in the know as to what exactly are the responsibilities, tasks, and duties a union official is charged with? I ask simply out of curiosity and for my own edification.

Some of the duties/responsibilities of a IAFF Local President, VP, Secretary or Treasurer include the following:

1. Abide by and enforce the Local's Collective Bargaining Agreement
  2. Represent Labor side in all negotiations, mediations and Binding Arbitration, including contract negotiations
  3. Represent members who are attending disciplinary hearings
  4. Hear and decide on the credibilty of grievances filed by members of his/her local
  5. Meet with and discuss issues with department admin (Chiefs)
  6. Maintain all financial records of the local
  7. Maintain all documentation of the local
  8. Serve as chairman at all meetings of the local
There are so many more, but this is a short list of some of the things that we do. Like I said, sometimes the enforcement and application of the contract may be contradictory to what many volunteers believe. For example, in the past, many contracts prohibited local members from serving as volunteers in their home towns. This has recently been made illegal, but in the past it has been a huge issue.

Joe

I for one would like to know how this one sided rant is an update on the Stamford merger as the heading suggests. I believe it is a cheap attempt to try to smear the President of local 786. Maybe the heading should have been SOUR GRAPES. I really think the post should be taken down by the people who do a fine job moderating topics. It has nothing to do with the merger. Just my$.02

Also bear this in mind...If there are union brothers or sisters in a firehouse, Union activity is protected and the paid union personnel can request representation for any reason any time they want. The union should not have to ask anyone to see thier dues-paying members, the place is a public building and the volunteer chief is not a "King" who can disallow an audience. As an IAFF member, I take offense at union brothers being neglected of this visitation due to a pissing match.

I am and continue to be ashamed at the way this whole situation is being handled on all sides. It has shown itself to be unproductive and a terrible waste of taxpayer dollars and time that can be spent on more productive things that have to do with city government and running effective emergency services.

What he is referring to is the "Weingarten Act". This law mandates that a union member, whether private or public sector is entitled to union representation at any meeting held with the employer if the meeting is of investigatory or disciplinary purposes. The Employee must make a request prior to the begining of the meeting or if the meeting evolves into any of the above descriptions, the employee (union member) has a right to terminate the meeting and request union representation. This is done mainly for the protection of the union member.