Emergency Services Museum For Westchester

x635
By x635 in Westchester County Area Emergency Services News,
I mentioned in the "Dobbs Ferry VAC: Missed Oppurtunity" thread about my personal opinion, once again my personal opinion, that Westchester really should have a emergency services musuem. As to not "hijack" that thread, I created this thread. If you replied in that thread about this issue, feel free to cut and paste. I strongly feel Westchester County should have some sort of emergency serivces musuem, even if it's a small one. I feel the benefits of this musuem would be diverse. -Preserve, store, and document Westchester's rich history -Honor those who served and those who died doing so -Documenting disasters that lead to major change, such as the Stouffers fire -Show the tools and progression of tools our brothers from the past used and how far we have come -Educate children about fire safety/PD and EMS (injury) prevention -Makes citizens more aware of our "presence" and dedication -To record and tell the stories many of our "senior guys" hold, to make sure those lessons don't die with them and are there for future generations. Their experience can never be duplicated. -I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers (retired FF's, etc) who are passionate enough to volunteer there. -Place to host formal events. If departments spent the thousands of dollars for banquet halls, etc at a fire musuem banquet room, this could help to offset the cost. -The County has plenty of facilities already that could be used to start with. Also, Westchester has a lot of corporate donors to pull from for grants, etc Regardless of all the crud and drama in Westchester, there should be something to take pride in, and something to help remind us of why we have that pride.
  • 36 replies