Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

NYPD Test Results Posted

11 posts in this topic

Don't worry, if you pass the tests, its like getting hired by McDonald's. They take just about anybody these days.

hey its a foot in the door - its a job with benefits...

Edited by DFFD227

Grumpyff, Do you know that from experience. The NYPD is still one of the most respected departments in the world.

Yes, I have worked there for almost 8 years. Recruitment standards have definately been lowered. Our equipment is outdated..our RMPs just got Panasonic laptops within the last 2 years, that for the most part are only good for solitaire. Before that our system was from the early 80s. Most of ou RMPs are run until they totally fall apart with at least 100,000 miles. I have worked with new guys that can barely speak and write in English. Some have prior arrest records. No joke, about 3 years ago my sergeant got a call from Applicant Processing inquiring about one possible candidate. Wanted to know if the guy would be a good cop. The Sgt. almost pissed his pants. He had locked the guy up about 7 years on a felony charge, and had the fight the guy, basically until he was knocked out. The court system pled everything down to misdemeanors, so technically the perp was still eligible to be hired.Our computer systems in the Pcts still run programs designed in the early to mid 80s. Most pcts are literrally falling down. Training has become a joke..just show up ..you pass. 25,000 to start, and 5 1/2 years to top pay. While in the Academy you will pay almost $1,500 on equipment and uniforms, that since they come from the Dept equipment section are low bid, break almost as soon as you hit the street. And Be prepared to be pressured to meet your 'performance objective' every month or you will find you sgt giving you arrests, that are barely alive, and you wonder how they are even alive.

grumpyff, that is one grim assessment !

What I want to see is the accountability report detailing how and where the Homeland Sec. $$$$ have been spent !!! That is, if they reached the Pct. level at all.....

March 22, 2006

Even Before, Recruiting for the Blue Could Be a Hard Sell

By ANDREW JACOBS

The New York Times

Wanted: 800 intrepid men and women willing to fight crime in the nation's biggest city. Starting pay is unimpressive, but sick days are unlimited and veterans can retire after 20 years with a pension worth half their salary.

For officials with the New York Police Department, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg's commitment of $33.8 million for the additional salaries also presents an enormous challenge.

Like police departments across the country, New York City's has struggled to draw high-quality applicants in recent years, a task made more daunting by salaries that are far lower than those offered by neighboring municipalities, many of which have been poaching some of the city's officers.

In announcing his decision yesterday to increase this year's hiring by 800, Mr. Bloomberg acknowledged the difficulties faced by recruiters but suggested that the perks and prestige of the job more than outweighed the low pay.

The recruits are paid at an annual rate of $25,100 during training, but that rises to $32,700 after six months and to $59,588 after five and a half years. "I think this is one of the great jobs in the world, it's the greatest police force in the world," the mayor said. "If people want to come to work here, they're going to have a heck of a career."

Union officials and outside experts say the Police Department faces a potential personnel crisis even without the burden of finding 800 additional recruits this year.

Almost 3,000 officers retire annually, and the department has been struggling to replace them at that rate, conducting traveling recruitment campaigns aimed at college campuses, military bases and small town newspapers across the country.

Critics say the greatest obstacle to drawing more top-notch applicants, however, is salaries so low that, union officials say, several new recruits have been forced to rely on food stamps.

"You can't support your family on this job alone," said Al O'Leary, a spokesman for the union, the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. "Your spouse has to work and you often have to take on a second job."

He said that at top pay, officers working for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, for example, average $30,000 more than city officers. His son, he said, was recently lured to the Port Authority from the Police Department.

"Morale is low and the attrition rate is high," he said. When it comes to wages, the New York Police Department ranks 157th, behind cities including Newark, Atlanta, Yonkers and Detroit, according to an analysis by Policepay.net Inc., a police compensation consultant.

Robert J. McGuire, who was the police commissioner under Mayor Edward I. Koch, said he worried that a smaller pool of recruits could eventually harm the overall quality of the force, which is budgeted for 37,038 officers this fiscal year, down from 40,710 in 2002.

"You end up with both quality-control and corruption issues if you recruit people at a salary level that is really not livable in New York City," he said.

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said that he intended to address salary concerns during contract negotiations now under way, but that he did not believe money alone would affect the quality of potential new recruits. "We are not lowering our standards in any way, shape or form to reach those numbers," he said at a news conference yesterday.

Chief Rafael Pineiro, who has overseen the department's aggressive new approach to recruitment, said he believed that focusing on compensation tended to overshadow other attributes of the job.

"We have the world's greatest detectives, the aviation unit, the bomb squad and opportunities to work in countries around the world," he said. "You don't come to this agency for the pay. You come here because we give you the kind of experience and skills that are very marketable when you leave."

Yes, I have worked there for almost 8 years.  Recruitment standards have definately been lowered.  Our equipment is outdated..our RMPs just got Panasonic laptops within the last 2 years, that for the most part are only good for solitaire.  Before that  our system was from the early 80s.  Most of ou RMPs are run until they totally fall apart with at least 100,000 miles. I have worked with new guys that can barely speak and write in English. Some have prior arrest records.  No joke, about 3 years ago my sergeant got a call from Applicant Processing inquiring about one possible candidate.  Wanted to know if the guy would be a good cop.  The Sgt. almost pissed his pants.  He had locked the guy up about 7 years on a felony charge, and had the fight the guy, basically until he was knocked out.  The court system pled everything down to misdemeanors, so technically the perp was still eligible to be hired.Our computer systems in the Pcts still run programs designed in the early to mid 80s.  Most pcts are literrally falling down.  Training has become a joke..just show up ..you pass.  25,000 to start, and 5 1/2 years to top pay.  While in the Academy you will pay almost $1,500 on equipment and uniforms, that since they come from the Dept equipment section are low bid, break almost as soon as you  hit the street.  And Be prepared to be pressured to meet your 'performance objective' every month or you will find you sgt giving you arrests, that are barely alive, and you wonder how they are even alive.

thats pretty interesting Grumpyff...

How long is the porcess from test until appointment?

i've been told pretty quick

If you have nothing..no past criminal history, no past medical problems, it can be as short as a few months. When I got hired in 1998, I think I took the test in May, and got hired the end of August. If you do sail through the background check, be aware that the city often gives you short notice that you will be going into the Academy. I got the phone call on a Friday at 12 noon, to report Monday morning 7 am. You have athree year probation for the city to finish out its background investigation.