Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

weight rooms?

8 posts in this topic

Hey all

Just curious to find out how many depts have weight rooms? If not, are you planning on either adding one on to existing stations or to a new buiding in the future?

Reason I ask is because of all of the ff LODD involving "Health related issues" namely heart attacks. We have one but very few of us use it regularly. We even discussed dedicating one drill a month to physical fitness. Several resignations were threatened!! :P

Jonesy

Sleepy Hollow Fire Department is in the process of preparing all of the equipment in our main Firehouse. So a weight room is in the works

Bethel FD (CT) has a weight room. We have no requierment to use it but it is there for anyone who wants it. There is a small group of regulars that use it but that is better than no one. Several of the people (my self included) use it to prepare for the CPAT and other tests. The biggest thing is peer presure. If you have a few people get started, others will jump on the band wagon. There will always be the ones who have no intrest. I don't think it would work to make it manditory. You will probably get more mileage if you educate people on the advantages, there will be more buy- in then if it is manditory.

We (Mahopac Falls VFD) have a one of the Multi usage machines, along with 2 treadmills. But we have a thing arranged w/ the local high school where we use their gym courts/ weight room 2 nights a week...

Town of Mamaroneck has a weight room.

Fairview in Dutchess County also has a gym. We do not have a requirement to use it, but because of the LODD because of Heart attacks most members use it. We have: a multi-unit, Free weights, 2 tredmills, stairmaster, stationary bike and multiply other units.

My advice to all, stay trained and stay in shape.

Of the firehouses that do have weights and exercise equipment, are members encouraged to use the equipment while ON DUTY?? Do any Depts prohibit use while ON DUTY??

Of the firehouses that do have weights and exercise equipment, are members encouraged to use the equipment while ON DUTY??  Do any Depts prohibit use while ON DUTY??

Every member in my Dept. is encouraged to use our exercise equipment within our stations, whether on duty or off duty. Why wouldn't a Dept. encourage its members to exercise even if they are on duty. Let's face it, a firefighter who is physically fit is less apt to get injured or even sick for that matter, than one that's not. This would benefit the Dept. and the municipality as a whole, reducing the number of LOD injuries and members out on sick leave, hence reducing O.T. costs. Not to mention, a firefighter who's physically fit will generally perfom much better on the fireground than one that's not as physically fit. FDNY doesn't have a problem with their members working out while on duty and if they get injured as a result, they're also covered. What's so difficult with comprehending this issue? <_<