Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMS Solutions

SCBA Eye wear

6 posts in this topic

I know that there are adapters or kits that allow you to put prescription eye wear in your SCBA. But has anyone ever used the combat type goggle that wraps around with a thin rubber head band with SCBA?

If so, is there evidience of this being unsafe? I was on a scene recently and saw a FF with this on and he said it allows him to operate before during and after the fire without having to change eyewear and delay his actions.

When asked about the seal he said he just tightens the scba straps a little more and he gets a good seal.

I am pretty sure this is against OSHA and NFPA standards - just wondering if anyone else uses this type of device.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I haven't used this but a couple of people I know tried it on a trial basis and had problems with a mask seal near the temples of the head. Like I said a couple of people so this is not a reflection of the others who may have tried it.

I have a insert kit for my Scott mask.

I use the insert kit with my mask, but the other option does sound interesting. Who sells these goggles?

you can get a mask that has the cut so that you can see normally out of them eveb though you might be blind as a bat but it does not matter because the only time that it is essentail to wear a mask is in a fire for search and rescue but in side a burning building you will not be able to see anything at all think like the mask condfidence course at the FTC

you can get a mask that has the cut so that you can see normally out of them eveb though you might be blind as a bat  but it does not matter because the only time that it is essentail to wear a mask is in a fire for search and rescue but in side a burning building you will not be able to see anything at all   think like the mask condfidence course at the FTC

Uhm..... There are plenty of times that it is essential to wear that mask w/o smoke. IDLH does not necessarily mean smoke. Hopefully you aren't jsut wearing your SCBA to confirmed working fires. This also reminds me... How many times do we see a bunch of guys in turnout gear running back to the truck for their SCBAs, shame on them. I could care less if they hurt themselves, but the newer breed of firefighters are looking up to these people. Set a good example.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

you can get a mask that has the cut so that you can see normally out of them eveb though you might be blind as a bat  but it does not matter because the only time that it is essentail to wear a mask is in a fire for search and rescue but in side a burning building you will not be able to see anything at all  think like the mask condfidence course at the FTC

Even in really sh!tty conditios you want the best vision possible. You get a real nasty fire with the smoke banking down hard on you, all you have to do is get your face to teh floor and you can usually see a pretty good distance. Now you're gonna wish you had your corrective lenses on when you can't tell if its a body or a pile of clothes at the end of the hall way.