Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
irishfire2491

Westchester EMS Employment?

21 posts in this topic

I was think about getting job for a paid EMS

Do Westchester EMS offer part time ir only full time.

Does Westchester EMS offer paid drivers at 18 or 21,

ANd do you need need to be an EMT First and how long do you have to have you card before you get the job

From my understanding. To be in a paid Ems service you need to be 18 years old and Emt and/or Paramedic, and a vaild NYS driver license.

WEMS has hired 18 year old EMT's, and I'm sure with the amount of people that have been moving on to different jobs, they'd be foolish to turn anyone down. I highly doubt that they will hire anyone under 18, and anyone who isn't an EMT, unless it was for a dispatcher position. (But you'd still need to be 18.) Thier business phone number is (914) 244-0382.

Edited by 648eng119

I applied over 4 months ago to WEMS, never got a call back when i left a message and never got any notice back when i sent in my app. Doesnt matter though, i got hired elsewhere. Per the age thing - you wount find many people hiring you unless 1) your over 18 2) you have a valid NYS EMT cert. (that includes for dispatching) 3) Valid and clean NYS liscense 4) have some experience. Most places want someone who is 21+ that has 6 months +/- paid experience along with an EVOC or CEVO II course.

Edited by 66Alpha1

WEMS isn't so good about getting back to people... took em a year to get back to me about my application. call up during the work week and ask to talk to a supervisor in the office, they'll be able to help you out

WEMS hires EMT's with no age restriction. Little to no field experiance is needed since they do BLS transport service and they're willing to train.

you wount find many people hiring you unless 1) your over 18 2) you have a valid NYS EMT cert. (that includes for dispatching)

WEMS has been hiring dispatchers with little or no medical training. While they don't make the best dispatchers sometimes, they can be trained. (We hope, lol) And as for experience, well, they've hired people who's ink was still wet on the EMT card.

If you are an EMT, why not consider TransCare, depends on your experience, you might start in transports, but if you are motivated and show us that you are good then we can bump you into 911, either in Westchester or NYC, look we even hired 648Eng119...I leave it at that.

If you are an EMT, why not consider TransCare, depends on your experience, you might start in transports, but if you are motivated and show us that you are good then we can bump you into 911, either in Westchester or NYC, look we even hired 648Eng119...I leave it at that.

See, there IS hope for anybody!! :D:D

Just curios as to what the avg. pay per hour is for dispatchers, EMTs, paramedics. If this information is too personal to put on display then feel free not to, don't want to cross any boundaries that could offend people.

dispatchers: no idea

EMT-Bs - 8 - 15 (depends where you go)

Paramedics - 15 - 30 (depends where you go)

For WEMS, as an EMT, I believe it was $10.50, EMT/Dispatchers, 11.50 an hour

$10.50....No kidding I didn't know it was that bad. You got a union? What kinda Benifits do you get with that? Or is that just what the "part-time" pay is?

no... that's pretty standard for emt pay.

and yes, it is depressing

You got a union?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I neeeded a good laugh!! There's only one EMS company (around here anyway) that I know of that has a union.

And From what I remember, the $10.50 was for both P/T and F/T - Don't quote me on it though.

WEMS has hired 18 year old EMT's, and I'm sure with the amount of people that have been moving on to different jobs, they'd be foolish to turn anyone down. I highly doubt that they will hire anyone under 18, and anyone who isn't an EMT, unless it was for a dispatcher position. (But you'd still need to be 18.)  Thier business phone number is (914) 244-0382.

Bails, you go with your bad self knowing so much...What if someone just wants to drive...?

Bails, you go with your bad self knowing so much...What if someone just wants to drive...?

Last I checked, they won't hire just drivers. Empire has been known to do that in the past, but I don't know if they still do. Most companies want someone who can tech and drive.

:D

See, there IS hope for anybody!!  :lol:  :lol:

Not everyone. They would never let me work in the shell. If i worked in trancare :lol::lol::D

WEM's EMT starting is lower than other outfits, but the benefit package is way better than any other company in the region. Once you figure your total compensation (wage + company's contribution to benefits), your total package is far higher.

WEM's EMT starting is lower than other outfits, but the benefit package is way better than any other company in the region.  Once you figure your total compensation (wage + company's contribution to benefits), your total package is far higher.

Skooter is 100% correct. I was very pleased with the benifit package when I worked there. Not quite as good as what I have with the county, they offered good health insurance, with a flexible spending account option, and a decent retirement plan.

Also, for those of you calling the 244-0382 number to inquire about employment, they will just refer you to the corporate office.

For those of you unaware, Westchester EMS is part of the Stellaris Health Network. All hiring for WEMS is done by the Stellaris HR person. Her name is Janet, and she's pretty much on the ball. She can be reached at 273-5454 ext 223. She screens all applications and if you meet the requirements, she will call you back to schedule an appointment for an interview. If you never got a call back you either 1) Sent your application to the wrong person or 2) you don't meet the hiring qualifications.

Information about employment and benefits can be found at http://www.westchesterems.org/employment.shtml. And like scoot said, the benefits are really second to none. And I'm fairly sure the EMT starting salary is a bit higher than $10.50. I'll find out and let you know.

Edited by WAS967

F-ing medics...they gotta forget so fast how bad it is in the trenches. EMT's start at 10.50 an hour. Sadly, my paycheck confirms it.