6 posts in this topic

post-839-1143484174.jpg

credit: KPRC - Houston

3 Firefighters Burned Battling Car Fire

Firefighters Treated At Memorial Hermann Hospital

POSTED: 11:29 am CST March 27, 2006

UPDATED: 12:15 pm CST March 27, 2006

KPRC - Houston

HOUSTON -- Three Houston firefighters were injured Monday morning as they tried to extinguish a car fire, officials told KPRC Local 2.

Firefighters were called to West Gray at Waugh at about 10:15 a.m.

Officials said the blaze was put out and the firefighters had removed their protective clothing when they realized the car battery was still connected.

When firefighters went to cut the cable, it sparked a flash fire.

Three firefighters received blister burns to their arms.

They were taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital. They are expected to be OK.

Edited by hoss

This is a good time for everyone to remember to wear there PPE @ all times. May our brothers be in our hearts and we pray for a fast recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are out there for these men and their families and I hope for a fast, safe, & healthy recovery for all of them.

My thoughts and prayers are out there for these men and their families and I hope for a fast, safe, & healthy recovery for all of them.

i deffinatly hope they will all be ok but on another note i also hope that they moved that rig following knock down of the fire other wise we certainly have some placement issue to discuss....

Hope all 3 are ok. A valuable lesson learned for everyone.

I as well hope all 3 make a speedy recovery, but I just want to throw a thought in here from my personal experiences.

If you get the fire knocked down, and you're going to cut the battery, if you can, try and unlock all the doors and pop the trunk first. It's not crucial, but at one car fire we did in croton, I cut the battery seconds before another firefighter tried to pop the trunk, and it made for a b**** of a time trying to get the trunk open. We wound up having to use a vent saw to cut the hinges to get it open. That added a lot of time to the operation. But ONLY DO IT IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT SAFTEY OF THE OPERATION!!!!