Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
z28skunk

New NY State driver's license

13 posts in this topic

Today I received a letter from the NYSDMV and inside was a new and improved NY State driver's license. This struck me as odd because my current license had not expired yet. I further read the letter enclosed and it stated that NY State issued new licenses that looked slightly different than the original licenses to all drivers under the age of 25. NY State's reasoning behind this change was to crack down on underage drinking and the creation of false identification. They referred to it as "Operation Prevent."

Do you think it will work?

Has anyone else under 25 received a new license?

Yeah, I got mine. It's got a lot more color to it.

does anyone feel that the new lic are being made also because of possibilty terroist making fake identification? i say this because if a young person under the age of 21 wants beer or get into a bar all they need to do is get some color pencils to change numbers then what would stop a terroist to fake an id to board a plane.

Their little additions to the licenses will not have an affect for years due to the fact that the old licenses will be in use up to 2013. Therefore until 2013 a person can make a fake ID look like the old license. Anyway here is a link to show features of the new licenses.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c51A.htm

As a kid in High School alot of my friends and I are getting their permits/licenses etc. so I've seen alot of these new licenses.

The hologram is pretty cool, the whole thing seems alot more high-tech than my "old" style permit.

Hopefully when I get my junior license I'll get one of the new designs... well I know I will get a new design, there's no need for hoping in that.

they are still easy to "chalk," I have not recived one but my sister has and the material they are printed on is the exact same as the old style: flexible, "gritty" and unlike any other states design. You can still take a red colored pencile and a white one, and change the date. Although to the naked eye it looks ok, under a special light you can see the difference, even a flashlight shown through the bottom. I personally think NYS needs to get with the time and redesign there entire licence. Make it a true plastic licence, turned on its side for anyone under 21, and rightside up for anyone over.

Plus it gives under 25 a new license, everyone from age 21-25 can give their old license to a friend now and use their new one. Sure it's illegal, but people will do it.

Plus it gives under 25 a new license, everyone from age 21-25 can give their old license to a friend now and use their new one.  Sure it's illegal, but people will do it.

Good luck to them...I really think they're trying to win a battle that can't be won, but at least they're trying...

When i got my permit on jan 25 06 i got the paper first but then the new license came in the mail and it looks stupid with the hologram going across your face.

Yea i got one too. Im at college and even though everyone is receving them they are still using the old ones to get into the local bars and clubs so it definately hasnt changed anythign at all. But i agree they should change it up with the way the writing is for underae and over age becasue then it would be blantinly obvious to bouncer and to even the cops. Also i know my father is a cop and he is getting some that already have been 'Chalked'. No matter what the state does they just need to think of a whole new idea or lincense to prevent such occurences.

Yeah I don't have one but a lot of other people do but when I go for my road test this month I hope to get a new one. That is if I pass. ButI would think that this new thing will work it just might take some time.

Chalk away kids, but you gotta be brain dead (or not care at all) to not know that the new ones are an under 21 license. NY should just go vertical for under 21 and horizontal for over 21. Then there would be no guessing. BTW a chalked license is a felony charge...just food for thought in the never ending battle between teens and those who sell booze.