Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRD

YHFD Squad 270

10 posts in this topic

I am interested in learning more about Yorktown Heights FD Squad/Engine 270. It looks like a great rescue-pumper, from what I have seen on the website, and it also sounds like its meets their needs. Can anyone give the details on the rig, including cost, and what equipment it carries? Have you had any problems with it? And most important, when can I bring a few guys up to see it?....

Thanks

DRD

DRD-

Squad 270 is a 2002 KME Rescue Engine, 1250/500, 8 man cab. Among many others, several important specs that we used were a shorter wheel base through the deletion of the larger front bumper and one compartment forward of the pump panel, bringing the wheelbase down to 160". In addition, the generator was upgraded to 10kW. A lot of effort went into designing the engine to ensure that every spec and feature would be user friendly and fit for Yorktown. The Apparatus committee really did their homework. There have been no major problems with the engine, Private message me if you are interested in a visit.

Thanks for the info... i will message you after I talk to some people about possibly coming up to take a look.

DRD

What is the purpose of the design of 270? Does it go first due to everything?

270 can go first due to struture calls (res/comm alarms, structure fires, interior smoke, etc) in the hydrant district, it is the drivers call as to 270 vs. 271. It is first due out of station 2 to all MVA's and HAZMATs, and primary FAST unit. It also often goes as the M/A engine for non-emergency standbys, depending on the status of R16 (If rescue is out of service, 270 is relocated to sta1; the dept doesn't want both hurst tool units to be unavailable).

what is the difference between a squad and a rescue?

"Squad 270" is really just a joke, it is officially Engine270. It has been called a squad b/c of its similar role to NYC Squad Co's. (that is, engine, truck, rescue; a bit of everything on one set of wheels)

That is primarily what I am interested to see, how you have your compartments configured to accommodate such a wide variety of equipment. I would also like to see if the rig, even with all the "squad" stuff, still has room for a pre-connected combo tool, booster line, light tower, etc. Is the 10kW generator a little much or do you use it often enough? Is everything aluminum? Foam system? Sorry for all the questions, I will likley be contacted you in the future to try and set up a visit with some other guys....

Thanks again.

DRD

DRD any time you would like to come up to see Engine 270 you can call the fire house 962-2148 and ask for Asst. Mcgannon.

It seem a lot of Dept. like this Eng.

:-$ Some one mite say we know what were doing in Yorktown

Thank you for the offer. Arrangements may already be in the works, if not I will give you a call when I get some dates from my guys. Either way we will be making our way to Yorktown to take a look some time in the near future. Thanks again, we really appreciate the opportunity.