Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

New Aerial Ladders

3 posts in this topic

FDNY has been working on a new Aerial ladder for sometime now. Word is that they have come up with a new Aerial Ladder which will have a removable tip. The tip of the ladder will have a section that can be removed and changed. Currently if an aerial is subjected to a fire, it will have to be replaced. With the new system, they will only replace the tip. This will create a cost savings and get rigs back into service faster. Keep an eye out for this in the future.

From Press Release 4/14/05?

Removeable Aerial Ladder Tip

Seagrave is offering a 4-1/2-foot removeable tip on the fly section of its 500-pound 100- foot Force ladder, 250-pound 100-foot Patriot, and 500-pound 75-foot Meanstick, for easy and less expensive repair or replacement. Rather than remove the entire ladder from the truck for repair, the removeable tip allows the end 4-1/2-foot section, which typically receives the most damage from heat-induced stresses, denting and structural damage, to be easily removed by taking out only two lower bolts behind the fold-down steps and unhooking the top portion. The unique fastening method keeps all fasteners from protruding into the ladder handrail and rung areas.

Seagrave’s removeable aerial ladder tip is longer than other manufacturer’s to allow a greater chance of repairing the entire damage because of the extra length. A New York version with a 7-foot 4-inch tip will also be available. Seagrave will refurbish existing ladders to install removeable tips if the customer desires.

Edited by tbendick

That's cool and all, but not exactly a new idea. Other manufacturers have had replaceable tips for years. I know our Pierce has about a 2 foot bolt on section, and there is no interference on the rails or rungs as that article suggests the Seagrave system is "unique". Clearly the Seagrave will have a much longer bolt on section than I've ever seen, but still...nothing earth shattering. Still and all, if you manage to do damage to that much of the aerial, whether from heat or structural damage, I don't think I would just bolt on a new section and forget about it. Steel transfers heat and vibration pretty good, so I'd still have the entire device checked over after damage like that.

It's too bad they can't provide us with quality rigs that can stay on the road without falling apart.