Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

EMS Unions

21 posts in this topic

Although I do not currently work as a paid EMT, I worked for Empress EMS many years ago. When I was working there we organized a union. The union provided many benefits to the employees. To this day I am a strong supporter of the formation of unions for EMS workers. It is time that you get paid what you are worth, not what your employer thinks you are worth.

Take a look at the link below and see the reasons why you should form a union.

http://www.iaep.org/toolbox.shtml

Many of AMR's regional units are unionized. I know New Haven, CT division of AMR is but I am unsure about theWaterbury Bridgport and Hartford divisions are or mot unionized.

Every little bit helps this day and age.

it would help to get some national representation as well.

I get disgusted when I hear employees of a commerical service say they are terrified to unionize because they WILL lose their jobs. They need to be informed that it is their right to organize and if they fired for participating the company will get in a lot of trouble. I think that maybe the unions may need to be a little agressive and make sure these hard working EMS employees know their rights.

I totally agree We need some one to stand up for us, the PBA gets thing done the UFFA gets things done. We all know that if "THE BOSS" finds out any one is talkin union we are gone. They will just come up with a differant reason to fire them. I worked for commercial in my carreer and i have seen it happen. We need a STRONG VOICE to speak for us. truth is we are our own worst enemy, when one of our EMS brothers or sisters gets unfairly penalized the first thing said is " what tour did he/she work. Come on people we are important our job is vital when are we gonna get treated like our brave brothers and sisters in the other two services. ..........................be safe and go home at the end of your tour

There was discussion about a union at my company this past winter. The employees were split, the newer people were all for it while the "old timers" said it would destroy the company. Administration sent out a memo stating why we shouldn't unionize and gave most of the medics a raise based on "the amount of certs or classes" they had. The EMT's got nothing saying they are being paid market value of $9.00 an hour to start. The union idea quickly died.

I think you guys should try again with the Union. There will be some resistance, but in the long run it will work out well. Only getting paid $9/hr is BS! I just saw a sign at the local Cumberland Farms last night saying starting pay is $9/Hr plus night differential if you work the night shift.

It has been brought up how we can make the same or even less money than a clerk in a convience store. (no disrespect to anyone working at a convience store) Adminstration said "there is the door", and "EMT's are a dime a dozen." And people wonder why morale is low and a union was attempted. :rolleyes:

It is a big problem. Yes EMTs are a dime a dozen. These companies hire new EMTs right out of class who have little or no experience. Look at the commercial services and the unexperienced EMTs and Medics they have working for them. You do not see many "old timers" around. Why not? Because EMS does not pay enough money to do it for your entire life. There is no incentive to stay working for a company that does not pay you what you are worth and provide good benefits. What kind of retirement package do you get? Maybe a crappy 401K if you are very lucky. This is why you guys need a Union!

Aside from unions I do not believe in For-Profit Commercial services providing 911 EMS anyway. Anyone who has been around in EMS for any long period of time will tell you that Municipal or Hospital based EMS is the way to go. I know this is a little off topic but when I get in discussions about private EMS etc, this is what I tell people.........You do not see private police departments enforcing the laws in your town, you do not see private fire departments responding to fire calls, you do not see private DPWs plowing your roads. Why should a private EMS company be providing emergency medical care to you?

the agency 246 is talking about isnt a for-profit agency. Per the union discussion, i would much rather keep my job than be canned for even uttering the word. If the world would just recognize EMS as its own, indepedant emergency/uniformed service and we were offered the same respect that the other services get i think i would be more than satisfied, god knows we impact enough lives. As a side bar...there are private FDs, my town did an experiment with them one out of Texas a few years back....it failed, but they are out there.

I was going to mention that Rural/Metro FD was around several years ago. I remember them being very short lived. This just backs up what I said about how 911 EMS should be run by hospitals or a municipality.

Now you guys are talking my kinda talk, I worked (EMS) in the town that rural/metro doing the fire and it was a nightmare so bad infact that is what motivated the formation of that towns municipal F.D. Nobody in EMS wants to stand up I have been in this field for what seems like forever and I have seen it as soon as some one thinks they will jepordize thier "job" everyone goes thier own separate ways...............

I think the biggest problem in EMS is the tremendous lack of unity. as mentioned before EMT's are a dime a dozon so that makes unity very tough. As the police and fire service stand by each other, in EMS you dont see that at all its. Before you start talking union start talking about just backing each other first.

I dont know what EMS agency you belong to or have experience with...but, for the most part, career Medics and EMTs alike have a strong sense of camaraderie. Like I have said countless times before, you cant even think about forming a union when we 1) have no federal representation 2) we are recognized as the armpit of the emergency services and are denied our rightful place as the third service.

I dont know what EMS agency you belong to or have experience with...but, for the most part, career Medics and EMTs alike have a strong sense of camaraderie. Like I have said countless times before, you cant even think about forming a union when we 1) have no federal representation 2) we are recognized as the armpit of the emergency services and are denied our rightful place as the third service.

I disagree the 10 plus years I was a career EMT, I saw alot of what can I get for myself attitudes in both union and non union shops, and that is what is hurting all EMS. Until you can start showing the big Unions that you can stand with each other, EMS will never have any federal represention, and will be considered the armpit of emergency services. Also until the city of NY recognizes EMS(which has the possably the biggest EMS union memebership in the country) as an emregency service and not a demand service (I dont know if they did yet I know in the 1990's when i was there they didnt), EMS will never get the respect. What also hurts EMS is the big turnover rate.

Your right about the city, they need to bring back NYC EMS...being attached to the fire department hasnt helped EMS. Still dont agree that the majority of career EMS only look out for themselves...there are alot im sure, but i dont think enough where it hampers anything.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I know that up here in Orange County there is a problem with career EMS workers not having support to each other. Many of these people who stab someone in the back in a heart beat. Many of these people are out for themselves and they will do anything to try to get advancement or recognition. The turnover rate for these companies is high because you cannot survive on $9/hr and because some of these companies are driven by profits they make their employees carry a very heavy workload. The companies do not want to add more units on the road so they make thier current units work way to hard.

The EMS Community in general needs to band together and have their voice heard on the Federal level. The FDs both paid and volunteer have a very loud voice within the states and on the federal level.

Even with the volunteers, there often times is no teamwork going on. VAC A is fighting with VAC B because they took a call in their district or VAC B is mad at VAC A because they did not get called to the MCI job last week etc etc etc.

This is what I think needs to happen….in a rough succession of events:

1) EMS needs to be separated from all other agencies, whether that be fire department or otherwise.

2) We need to be officially recognized as the third emergency service and receive the respect we rightly deserve.

3) We need to receive the proper federal and state representation

4) The larger municipalities across the country need to create their own EMS agencies, IE: NYC EMS, LA County EMS, Pittsburg EMS

5) Counties or medium sized cities will hopefully follow suit with county/city/state subsidized EMS…(IE: Westchester County EMS)

6) Establish a strong EMS union, much like the IAFF or PBA

Where I work we have a Union. I just want to say, that should you decide to go with a Union, PLEASE..... DO SOME HOME WORK.

Don't get stuck with a Union who don't know what you do, or don't care enough about what you do. This can be especially hard when you are stuck with benefits and a contract that is also adhered by "Cleaning personnel". Or anyone else who has no business being "married" with EMS.

Personally, I really don't think our union doesn't give a rats a$$ about us.... and it shows when they make promises to us... and don't come through with them.

I really don't want to gripe about the union I am in here...... I just want you to do your home work, and get a Union who will truly work for YOU!

66ALPHA1 hit it right on the head, I have been saying similar things for what seems like forever, the responses I usually get are dont be jealous, if you want that then join.... , dont hate, alot of "who cares", then there is the all time favorite "you knew what you were getting into" Most of these and more come from within the EMS community, It may sound silly but I have been on a personal crusade for years just trying to get our own people to see that we are just as vital that we should be a third service could you imagine what would happen if for just two hours we didn't answer any calls?. not saying that we should I am just trying to make a point. When FDNY took over NYC*EMS it was the worst thing that could have happened (except that the uniforms are for the most part better).I have been doing this for a long time and will be doing it till I die. I have loved it since i was a lil boy watching Johhny and Roy even then I felt that EMS should be it's own. Because you love something so much doesn't mean you hate something else. Sometimes I feel like a priest who has lost his faith, If I had one wish it would be that EMS becomes a Third service, it won't happen until we stand together come on people make my wish come true...........................I am not anti-anything I am pro EMS...................................

Everyone is correct we need better unity. In NJ ther are two unions that i know of In Newark, Camden, Patterson and Passaic they belong to The Teamsters Local 97, in East Orange and the Newark Supervisors belong to The international assoc. of EMT's and Paramedics. A third service is the way to go but they seem to quick to privatize ems everywhere.