Followers 0

John Egan: Firefighter and Golfer

2 posts in this topic

WHAT A LIFE

Firefighter swings into action

Caryn Eve Murray

NEWSDAY

May 7, 2006

John Egan's life is defined by two prominent realities: his work as a New York City firefighter and his leisure as a devoted golfer.

Enter now a third reality: Reality TV, also known as "The St. Joseph Pressure Challenge," the Golf Magazine amateur golf competition he'll be seen in, on CBS, May 14 and May 20, both days at 2 p.m.

The Island Park resident was chosen to be among 30 duffers nationwide with a handicap of 8 or higher to compete for a $250,000 prize.

Just before taping began last month in Ocean City, Md., Egan, 36, told Caryn Eve Murray why, in just the same way he responds to a fire alarm, he was giving this contest his all.

What made you start golfing 12 years ago?

I am a competitive guy. I played football, hockey, softball and baseball and wanted to try something different. A bunch of us got together, went on a trip and ended up in Florida for 13 days. I played down there and got hooked, and never stopped. In high school [in West Hempstead] I was on the football team, and we made fun of the guys on the golf team. It was thought of as an old man's sport. But then you get into your early 20s and, well, we decided to.

What's the kick?

Every time you play, you are playing against yourself on the golf course, trying to improve your scoring. I keep trying. You always want to do better. You play and shoot 100, and you say, next time I'm going to shoot 90. It's about getting your best score.

Is there anything about golfing that helps you in firefighting - or vice versa?

In firefighting, you have to stay focused when the bells go off. You have to know where you are going and listen to everybody. And when you get to the golf course, you want to size up the situation and make sure you hit in the right direction.

Do you golf much with your firefighting colleagues?

I got a handful of guys who play golf together and created a golf league for the fire department, the New York City Firefighters Golf Tour. This is the second year we are doing it. We play tournament-style golf at eight different courses. I'm hoping to tweak the right firemen from other cities and get a big tournament with other paid fire departments.

How did you land a spot on this TV show?

They had a Web site, and there was an application to fill out online. Well, I filled it out, and one of the questions is, "What is the craziest thing you have ever done for money?" And I answered: "I run into burning buildings while other people are running out." That was an eye-catcher, I'm sure.

Are you surprised to be in the running?

After they had a casting call at Chelsea Piers in March, and I had to hit some balls, I got a call saying I'm in. I was shocked. I'm the highest handicapped player on the show. Not that I can't do well. So I'm going for broke.

Go for it my brother, Good Luck!!