breezly

Fire destroys New Rochelle building; 1 firefighter

4 posts in this topic

Fire destroys New Rochelle building; 1 firefighter injured

By BILL HUGHES

whughes@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 16, 2006)

NEW ROCHELLE — A firefighter was injured rescuing a trapped person as a fire destroyed a three-story building in downtown New Rochelle this afternoon.

The fire gutted a comercial photography studio with two floors of apartments above it at 601 Main St.

The firefighter was overcome by smoke inhalation while rescuing someone trapped inside the building. Both got out.

Fire Commissioner Raymond Kiernan said the building was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at approximately 1 p.m.

"The flames were shooting out the front windows," said Kiernan. "It was quite surprising to see all that fire in the middle of the day in the middle of the downtown district."

The blaze was still smoldering as of 2:15 p.m. Main Street was closed between Maple and Centre avenues.

The cause of the blaze has not yet been determined. No other injuries were reported.

LATEST NEWS UPDATE:

New Rochelle fire witness: Wires crackled, then 'It was bigger than me.'

By BILL HUGHES

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: May 16, 2006)

NEW ROCHELLE — One firefighter was injured as a fire damaged a three-story building in downtown New Rochelle this afternoon.

The fire extensively damaged a comercial photography studio and caused some smoke and water damage to 12 apartments on two floors above it at 601 Main St.

Walter Stewart, owner of the photography studio, Photo Visions, said he heard crackling and popping noises on some wires, turned around and saw a small fire.

"I went and got some water, poured it on the one fire. When I came back with some more, another fire had started on some curtains. By that time it was bigger than me," Stewart said.

The two-alarm blaze was called in at 1:09 p.m. and was under control by about 1:30 p.m., Fire Commissioner Raymond Kiernan said.

Main Street remained closed as of 3 p.m. between Maple and Centre avenues but was expected to reopen shortly.

The injured firefighter was overcome by smoke inhalation while evacuating tenants from the apartments.

Everyone got out. The firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment. Initial reports incorrectly indicated someone was trapped inside.

The building was not destroyed, as first reported, but did suffer extensive smoke and water damage, with the photo studio on the ground floor suffering.

Officials do not expect the 12 apartments to be livable for now because of the smoke damage. The Red Cross was arranging for shelter for tenants.

When firefighters arrived, Kiernan said, "The flames were shooting out the front windows." He added, "It was quite surprising to see all that fire in the middle of the day in the middle of the downtown district."

READ MORE ABOUT THIS STORY TOMORROW IN THE JOURNAL NEWS.

:angry: Group 4 works!!!!! Finally!!!!

I will submit photos of this fire later this evening