Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

Parking

5 posts in this topic

Not to bash anyone.. However I was at a recent fire and noticed something that I would like to discuss...

Here is the Topic:

Parking of Private Vehicles at Fire Scenes.

IMG_4341.JPG

This photo was taking standing next to one of the Engines across from the Fire Building.. Also not seen is this photo is another Vehicle on the other side of the Engine.

I would like comments on the parking of private vehicles. At the fire that this photo was taken there was plenty of parking down the road from the fire building. Is there a need to have private vehicles in the immediate street of the fire buidling??

I can't help to think of countless incidents that the roads get blocked with vehicles and can't allow the needed units to access the incident..

Note that these vehicles didn't get in the away, this is just a discussion on parking of vehicles.

Our Department has an SOG that states all personal vehicles are to park on the same side of the road - a minimum of one block from the fire scene.

It's usually adhered to, there are times when the "brigade" forgets.

I can see the headlines now

"Fire trucks blocked by firefighters vehicles"

Why are people still responding in personal vehicles? Isn't that a tremendous liabilty for the department?

A lot of volunteers are still responding in POV's because some of the districts are so huge!

In Somers, which is 33 Sq Mi, we would never get a rig out the door if we waited to man each one with 4 FF's, responding to the houses. We have 4 firehouses, which one do you respond to? What if you go to Sta 4 and everyone else goes to Sta 2? I guess you sit there. But at least if you go to the scene, you can go to work.

If the FF's follow the laws, and the Chief's enforce the blue light laws, and dicipline those who you get complaints on, there really isn't that much more of a liabilty than driving those big red things with all the fancy lights, and sirens- where you are allowed to break the laws, and your adreniline is pumping away a mile a minute, you really have to put it into perspective.

In Croton Falls, we respond with POV's, not to many problems occur. We however do have a set policy in regards to I684, No POV's allowed, as with every rule there are some exceptions to the rule. if You are on the highway prior u can respond. Its hard for a dept, that has a very large district to have all ff respond to a station. Most times a piece of appartus rolls with driver alone.