Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest BrotherFF

Baltimore FD Using Jeep Libertys As Battalion Cars

9 posts in this topic

Check this out

http://www.thewatchdesk.com/forum/attachme...tid=33246&stc=1

(Photo by Hungrybus)

Baltimore City Fire Department is using Jeep Libertys as their Battalion cars. I guess it's all you really need for a BCFD battalion and nothing more, and is quite manuverable in tight spaces.

Can you imagine NYC areas FDs using these???

I know I would want something bigger, just from a safety perspective. Seems too dinky for a big-city BC car.

I'd be embarrassed as a big manly firefighter in that wimpy thing.

Is there really a need for any huge gas guzzling SUV for command viehicles? I see some depts have better chiefs cars then appratus. :rolleyes:

I'd be embarrassed as a big manly firefighter in that wimpy thing.

You're kidding right? Concerned with your image?

Seriously, if you don't need a crazy amount of space, then this is a great idea. The vehicle is cheaper than a larger Suburban or Excursion and its probobly nice to drive in the city. There really isn't a serious safetly benefit either. Its a plenty substantial vehicle.

I can see why the Liberty is attractive to the city. They are cheep, have diesel motors that sip fuel compared to gas fired alternatives or full sized diesel command vehicles, and they are 4wd for poor weather.

I will say however that after radio, light, siren, and other equipment is installed, I can't imagine that there is a ton of room available in these rigs between the chief and their aid. I don't think that battalion chiefs would be very comfortable spending a 12-24hour tour in one of these.... especially if they are responsible for building inspections and other FD business where they are out for hours at a time and not just ready at the station to respond.

Image sould mean nothing.... function before form... BUT Something larger seems more appropriate for this particular role.

Just my opinion.

The BCFD has been using Jeeps for quite a while as Battalion Chief's vehicles. They were previously using Jeep Cherokee's.

i believe that baltimore city chiefs do not have an aid or chauffer

i believe that baltimore city chiefs do not have an aid or chauffer

From the time I've spent down in the area I was under the impression that they did.