Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Putnam County ALS Provider

44 posts in this topic

There is always truth in most of the jokes that go around. This includes the ones about Empire. I only fear that those mistakes made before will happen while on the payroll of Putnam County and lives will be lost.

And to address bringing up "old" issues, why shouldn't we. You should always look at the full spectrum, the entire track record of a company when hiring or working for them. And lets be serious, Empire is not liked by most agencies and alot of paramedics because of the validity that they have screwed up alot. You never hear continous jokes that Alamo or Westchester E.M.S. or Transcare is constantly in the way or breaking regulations. Its usually about Empire.

But as a side question for those company Empire guys on here, if very few of the Alamo paramedics come over to Empire(for whatever reason) does Empire have the ability to do this job on there own?

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but BuffMedic seems to be describing things I’ve encountered first hand. I can recall a number of times in the past six months (the latest instance only a month ago) or so that Empire ambulances have buffed MVAs in the area I work. Granted, you roll up on an accident you stop – that’s cool. What’s not cool is not advising 911 of the situation and using the excuse “well we don’t have radios in our ambulancesâ€, or instructing a patient involved in a rollover to self extricate and walk up an embankment, and hey – lets not bother to throw a backboard/collar on the patient instead well sit her down on the guardrail and wait until the primary response agency arrives. These aren’t preconceived notions or secondhand scuttlebutt; this is what I’ve experienced firsthand. This doesn’t seem to foreshadow a peachy progressive future for Putnam County EMS.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Before we start throwing stones.  Every service has their problems.  Volley agencies have been shut down and had their CON's suspended in our region, other Commercial providers have had serious narcotics issues in the not so distant past.  Empire's problem had nothing to do with misuse or abuse of narcotics but was a paperwork error that delayed the renewal process.  All narcs were accounted for and their were no deficiencies in their Part 80 plan.  As far as interfering with Volly operations there are two sides to every story and I won't entertain the debate since we all know that this industry is full of ego and the majority of parties involved in whatever incidents you may cite have no more involvement with Empire State.  It would be greatly appreciated if we could stop digging up old "issues" and focus on the future of Putnam County and the Company that Empire has become.  Our doors are always open and you may stop by any time to see what actually goes on here.

It's not an ego thing. Over the last few years, ESA got a really bad rap. Yes everybody has problems but, its the same old management. Some of them from the old A-1/CMT-Inc. I also remember then getting the contract to provide BLS assist to MFVFD, and that went up in the air. The managment needs to change. I know a lot of medics how would never work for BT again!

Edited by BuffMedic236

I don't see stone throwing either, if its a duck its a duck. I wish them luck in their new endeavor and I sincerely hope they do it right from management down for the citizens of Putnam.

I've also had a few run ins with employees from ESA. Ambulances consistantly doing lights and sirens to shuck runs? To getting to the ER with my patient to see 2 EMT's off that same ambulance strolling in with a patient in no distress or with any treatments on. I've also had occassions where they've sent a BLS bus to a nursing home for an obvious ALS warranted call to then get called for an "intercept" not on the side of the road, but to the pick up place. That is unacceptable and ridiculous, I've had an ALS ambulance available and instead I then become a ALS provider for a company I don't work for. Although I did have one crew learn a lesson when a ALS staffed ambulance stopped at a call where a police officer found a man down and called for an ambulance, they decided to stop, put the person on their stretcher, put them in their ambulance and put their monitor on. I promptly then said, oh good you got it well in hand, take good care of him and have a great day and I left. The medic for some reason was dumbfounded, but I was well within proper procedure.

As for Alamo, they are their own worst enemy. Taking ambulances out of the system to do wheelchair runs. Nice use of resources. Never mind the contract to cover 911 and you're the last ambulance, go do the shuck run or wheel chair transport. 4 flycars in putnam, you have to go to mobil to fill up from Cold Spring so your out of service at best at least 30 minutes. Need a med or equipment, ok we'll get it to you sometime this week because the supervisors are busy covering calls because ambulances with a paramedic are doing a wheelchair run. But its ok, we're sending an ALS ambulance to Beacon from the City of Poughkeepsie. Use a narc? No problem, we'll get you your replacement....10 minutes prior to shift change we need you to come into the city to HQ to get your replacement narc. Nice morale building work practices. And at one time they had pipe dreams of a helicopter. Well at least you could get a medic to Beacon in a prompt manner.

Now before someone gets into a hissy fit, I am no way bashing ESA. I am speaking facts of my interaction with them and things that are in mine and several colleagues eyes as we discuss them ridiculous and inappropriate. But if there are problems that are violations not just unsound practices then you are part of the problem then the solution for our profession if they are not reported.

Personal issues with some of our management aside. Empire could cover the 911 contract right now with the resources it has in place. As far as buffing jobs--it is a strictly enforced policy that no employee carry a volly pager or radio in our rigs. Should a crew be flagged down they are required to stop and render care. Dispatch always notifies the proper municipal authorities to advise them of the situation. Should you have a patient care issue then please call and ask to speak to a supervisor. To address the dispatching of BLS crews to "obvious" ALS calls--that is a function of the information we get from the nursing facility. When it is in our patient's best interest to call for ALS from the 911 provider we do so. If we all are willing to work together to make Putnam work the way it is supposed to I am confident that this will be a big success. Rather than address these issues online anonymously why not stop by or give a phone call and see how we actually operate and so we can address whatever concerns you may have.

Hey everybody, stop bashing Alamo. This is NOT the place for it. If you work for a perticular company, take pride in it. Just don't destroy another one on the internet. :angry:

Hey everybody, stop bashing Alamo.  This is NOT the place for it.  If you work for a perticular company, take pride in it.  Just don't destroy another one on the internet. :angry:

Absolutely! AsI sat here thinking about this you sasid exactly what I felt!!!!

Good Post!

Absolutely! AsI sat here thinking about this you sasid exactly what I felt!!!!

Good Post!

I believe the professional thing to do is everyone should stop bashing all companies. We should work as a team to improve the current system. Whether Alamo, Empire or any other company were to do Putnam County everyone should work together to give the RESIDENTS and PEOPLE of Putnam County the best service. Whatever the name of the company is or your personal feelings towards their management doesn't matter, it is the front line medics / emts that provide the service and really make the difference.

I've also had a few run ins with employees from ESA.  Ambulances consistantly doing lights and sirens to shuck runs?  To getting to the ER with my patient to see 2 EMT's off that same ambulance strolling in with a patient in no distress or with any treatments on.  I've also had occassions where they've sent a BLS bus to a nursing home for an obvious ALS warranted call to then get called for an "intercept" not on the side of the road, but to the pick up place.  That is unacceptable and ridiculous, I've had an ALS ambulance available and instead I then become a ALS provider for a company I don't work for.  Although I did have one crew learn a lesson when a ALS staffed ambulance stopped at a call where a police officer found a man down and called for an ambulance, they decided to stop, put the person on their stretcher, put them in their ambulance and put their monitor on.  I promptly then said, oh good you got it well in hand, take good care of him and have a great day and I left.  The medic for some reason was dumbfounded, but I was well within proper procedure.

I have refrained from commenting on any comments put on this message board untill now.

A:

Ambulances consistantly doing lights and sirens to shuck runs?

- First off there is no way that is allowed or would be allowed. Non Emergency Transports are just that, non emergent. Any pre-arranged transports are never authorized a code 3 responce.

B:

To getting to the ER with my patient to see 2 EMT's off that same ambulance strolling in with a patient in no distress or with any treatments on.

- Lets look at any call on average, lets say its a SOB call where a BLS ambulance is enroute with a Paramedic heading to back up. The crew arrives to find a patient, in no distress as reported by the facility. An anyone who has worked for any system, transport or 911 knows that not every call is exactly how the caller states it to be. There is no way you can convince me that every call is as called in. If after a compotent assessment the EMT feels there is no need for the medic, then the medic responce is canceled. Yet you can sit behind your keyboard and tell me you have never been canceled by BLS on scene to something dispatched as a potential "ALS" job. Cause I'll call you a liar to your face.

C:

I've also had occassions where they've sent a BLS bus to a nursing home for an obvious ALS warranted call to then get called for an "intercept" not on the side of the road, but to the pick up place.  That is unacceptable and ridiculous, I've had an ALS ambulance available and instead I then become a ALS provider for a company I don't work for.

- Unless you are the one whos dispatched to these Nursing Homes, how are you privy to how they came in? The majority of instances you are refering to stem from pre-arranged BLS transports from nursing homes where the patients have been deemed "stable" and "routine" by the facility. At no time would BLS be dispatched to a known ALS Call. If ever ALS wasn't available then other methods, such as your "Intercepts" would be arranged. Or would be handed to another agency that had the available ALS crew. I would challenge you to prove to me that a call that came in routine and non emergent hasn't ever taken a turn for the worst!

D:

That is unacceptable and ridiculous, I've had an ALS ambulance available and instead I then become a ALS provider for a company I don't work for.

- Its unacceptable and ridiculous to say that supporting another agency because you feel that your far superior to them and shouldnt have to provide care to "their" patients. The facts are that given a patient that has taken a turn for the worst and instead of waiting for ALS which might 20 minutes out to intercept and in the best interest of the patient call the closest ALS available, yeah I can see how thats totally upsetting to you. Lets get real, we would be derelict in our duties if we waited for ALS to respond with a closer ALS agency sitting nearby.

E:

Although I did have one crew learn a lesson when a ALS staffed ambulance stopped at a call where a police officer found a man down and called for an ambulance, they decided to stop, put the person on their stretcher, put them in their ambulance and put their monitor on. I promptly then said, oh good you got it well in hand, take good care of him and have a great day and I left.  The medic for some reason was dumbfounded, but I was well within proper procedure.

- A lesson? To stop as a certified Ambulance to render aide? By the way that particular Ambulance, ALS mind you, was flagged down by the Police Officer. To which they began assessment of an unconsious party. And any responding Ambulance wasn't on scene till after the fact. Most like he was dumbfounded cause you didnt complain that he was stealing "your" call. So the only lesson here is that you never know when someone might actually have professional courtasy and be happy that care was being provided.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, before we rip apart any agency remember there are two sides to every story. If I were to sit here for another couple of hours I can list every mishap, accident, delay, improper patient care and any other problem with any agency in NYS. But its not only a waste of time its not important nor constructive. No ones perfect, no one, but to judge any agency from a one sided view is improper and unacceptable. Every, and I do mean EVERY Agency has a past. To hold past issues, no matter how trivial, against a changed and growing company, which has put an all out effort to provided compotent service and patient care, is unfair. If one or two issues dictates a company as a whole then guess what, not one agency would go unscathed. Everyone seems to forget the very old expression, "Ye without sin cast the first stone." Guess what, not one of you could toss it. So before you judge another, look at yourselves first.

Empire will do its best to provide the best service for the people of Putnam county. They are more then able to provided the proper equipment,vehicles and support to accomplish this. Everyone deserves the chance to prove themselves. Even Alamo got a break once.

I sure hope they do the best. They don't have the greatest reputation. However, I know they trying to turn themselves around. But until you have a management that is willing to take charge and control, all these mistakes that some employees continue to do just reflect on the company. The problem I see is not in the equipment or vehicles, it's the field personnel and the apparent lack of management.

Personally, I am against ESA in Putnam County, not only as a private citizen but as someone in the business.

So, I ask all you ESA current employees a question. Could the company pull this off without getting all the current PC medics to comeover? I know many who won't even consider it.

I sure hope they do the best. They don't have the greatest reputation. However, I know they trying to turn themselves around. But until you have a management that is willing to take charge and control, all these mistakes that some employees continue to do just reflect on the company. The problem I see is not in the equipment or vehicles, it's the field personnel and the apparent lack of management.

Personally, I am against ESA in Putnam County, not only as a private citizen but as someone in the business.

So, I ask all you ESA current employees a question. Could the company pull this off without getting all the current PC medics to comeover? I know many who won't even consider it.

The funny part of all your comments is that you have a problem with the management and for one in particular. so the question is that are you someone who was discharged by the management person that you keep refering too. Everyone should be aware that when someone complains or bashes a company or a management member it is ususally because they failed at doing their job and was reprimanded. Beleive me you may not like BT, but no one can say the company has not changed. The sad part of all this is that the many listen to the few without knowing the complete truth. Again we offer to sit with all the Putnam Medics to show them that the few don't know what they are talking about. By the way everyone should be aware that if you look at this person profile he works with Trans Care, just another competitors team member trying to make conflict because they thrive on it. Grow up.........................................

Also just for your information, at least half of the PC Medics have already applied, scheduled interviews and have been hired with a substantial raise. So check your facts....

Empire could absolutely handle it with the resources they have now. As far as being against ESA in Putnam, thats your personal opinion that you are entitled to have. I can tell you that you will be very surprised with how successful ESA will be in the county. Childish bickering aside, Empire is a new place with new management that is more than capable.

The funny part of all your comments is that you have a problem with the management and for one in particular. so the question is that are you someone who was discharged by the management person that you keep refering too. Everyone should be aware that when someone complains or bashes a company or a management member it is ususally because they failed at doing their job and was reprimanded. Beleive me you may not like BT, but no one can say the company has not changed. The sad part of all this is that the many listen to the few without knowing the complete truth. Again we offer to sit with all the Putnam Medics to show them that the few don't know what they are talking about. By the way everyone should be aware that if you look at this person profile he works with Trans Care, just another competitors team member trying to make conflict because they thrive on it. Grow up.........................................

Also just for your information, at least half of the PC Medics have already applied, scheduled interviews and have been hired with a substantial raise. So check your facts....

It has nothing to do with who I work for, I volunteer in PC and have seem the mistakes that have been done. I am voicing my opinon as a citizen and volunteer in Putnam!!! What it does have to do with is aparent lack of management that you seem to have, time and time again we see your employees do things over and over again. And times that people have complained, nothing seem sto be done about it!

Both you and I are in managment positions at our respective paid jobs, and you should agree that when a problem arrises it should be handeld accordingly. But what we see as volunteers in the county, is those mistakes happening again after it's supposed to have been handled.

And to answer your question, I have never worked for ESA. By the way, that was a question, wether you could run the system now with out the current PC medics, I am sure that some medics will go and I wish them luck. As I said in my previous post, it seems you guys are trying to turn it around, but from my perspective, as a non-believer, you have a long way to go.

I hope that in the long run ESA does prove all of us who are against you wrong. I might not agree with your companies views, however, I will be one to give it a try for the sake of the residents of Putnam County.