Followers 0
EMTbravo

Complaints About This Forum & Making Things Better

6 posts in this topic

How can we make this forum better?

"That guy doesn't know what he's talking about!"

"Who does he think he is?!"

"Where did he come up with that??"

Often, while discussing this forum with a variety of people, the biggest complaint I hear is of people being annoyed with other's opinions or the information they present. If you think about it, that's not too much different then real life too. The next biggest complaint I hear is of the more outspoken younger members of this forum giving opinions out of place, and not wanting to learn/listen from the more experienced members. And next, those who speak negative and bash people and departments are complained about as well, rightly so. Much of these complaints comes from the "lurkers", meaning those who read and don't post. What I want people to realize is that if you see incorrect information posted, why just sit back and whine about it? If you have the FACTS, why not post it and set the record straight? That's what I don't understand. If someones saying something, chances are a lot of people are also thinking or have heard that, so why not take the chance to clear it up? And if you see someone that's just inappropriately bashing a department, why not report the post to us? Whether you accept it or not, the majority of those people posting are in the fire and EMS service, and those are their actual opinions and knowlege. Why not take the oppurtunity to try and influence it? There are a ton of problems in the Fire and EMS service as we all know, if we can't even have a rational, constructive and respectful discussion on an internet forum, how are we going to resolve these problems in real life?

I have several ideas to improve the information exchanged on this forum that I'm going to try and implement over the next few months, but I want to hear your ideas. As you know, the goal for this forum is for it to be a positive, constructive, and friendly place to exchange information and ideas....something I feel for the most part it is. I know, because I have witnessed it, that many people have learned, connected, and improved from members and the discussion on this forum. I've had significant leaders from the area tell me it's a great way to know what their personnel in the field are thinking, and firefighters tell me they've learned of a new tool or technique they applied, or event they learned of. But I am sure this forum can be an even better tool to improve and connect the area fire and EMS service. We have a ton of diverse members from all over the area, with a tremendous amount of knowledge that I want to use this board to tap. How can we get more of them to share it with us?

So, to those who complain about this forum, I hope that those complaints have a real resolution that we can work towards. Let's make this forum even better.

-EMTBravo

The discussions, except for some, of the tornado incident have been facinating to me. The first hand accounts, especially from the chiefs in charge, have been great. For the most part there is open, hosnest discussion about the entire incident. This incident can be the catalyst for the next step.

1) The chief stated he wants to have a critique. This website can spearhead the event.

2) I can't say what resourse each department has and what they can respond with, how long to mobilize, etc. Start an section that will provide this information.

As I think of more, I'll write.

I have no complaints, I think this website is a great resourse and look forward to looking at it each and every day.

Thanks for the positive input, Huzzie.

It's the members who drive this site, and any constructive and positive input or insight is always appreciated.

Never have had a complaint, never will. Thank you for your dedication to allow so many of us a voice when often in our departments they go unheard and to share and debate.

I have a complaint!

Where are the EMTBravo t-shirts? :D

Never have had a complaint, never will. Thank you for your dedication to allow so many of us a voice when often in our departments they go unheard and to share and debate.

Second. Tho I would still LOVE to get my hands on the design of the site in general and snazz it up a bit <BFG>