Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N1Medic

Putnam approves countywide paid ambulance service

18 posts in this topic

Legislators approve paid ambulance service 

By: Eric Gross 

PutnamCountyCourier.com

CARMEL - Putnam County's emergency services providers are a dedicated group of men and women yet during the past few months on dozens and dozens of occasions, it has taken 20 minutes or more to get a rescue rig to the scene of an emergency.

The Putnam Bureau of Emergency Services realizes a crisis exists across the county and officials have come up with a plan to remedy the situation.

The Putnam Legislature last week ratified a plan that will combine advanced life support (ALS) with ambulance transport capability.

Commissioner of Emergency Services Robert McMahon believes the single most important problem facing volunteer EMS systems is a lack of available volunteers particularly during the day. "Despite efforts to increase recruitment and retention, the problem continues to worsen," he said.

With the cost of advanced life support rising, McMahon said the most efficient and cost effective approach to addressing the ambulance response problem was to develop the single solution.

Currently, four paramedic fly cars patrol the county, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is provided by the Alamo Ambulance Company located in Dutchess County at a contract for $445,000. McMahon explained for an additional $40,000 a year, the county would be provided the enhanced service.

Putnam's Emergency Medical Services Director Robert Cuomo said the proposed system would provide two ambulances on the eastern side of the county with the two fly cars remaining on the western side. The ambulances would be staffed with a paramedic and EMT 12 hours per weekday. During nights and weekends, the ambulance staffing would be reduced to only a paramedic.

Cuomo says in the event a volunteer ambulance was unable to respond to a call, the ALS ambulance would transport the patient to the hospital. "Since ALS rigs are staffed around the clock, this will result in a better response time and will also allow patient transport to the hospital to begin sooner," he said.

Cuomo forecast the new plan would be implemented prior to the end of the summer with a second phase involving the county implementing its own ALS system by obtaining a New York State Health Department ambulance operating license in the years to come.

Legislator Terry Intrary who chairs the Protective Services Committee said the plan was "right on the mark. We are not criticizing our dedicated volunteers nor are we calling for the abolition of the volunteer force. Volunteerism is alive and well but times have changed and unlike the 1950's and 1960's, many of our volunteer EMS providers are employed at two or more jobs and just don't have the time to run each time the fire alarm sounds."

McMahon agreed that the county was not calling for the elimination or abolition of the volunteer EMS corps in Putnam County. "Local volunteer ambulances will still be dispatched first and will be the primary ambulance for local calls. The ALS ambulance would only transport a patient if the volunteer ambulance could not assemble a crew," he said.

Intrary said "John Q. Public would be the benefactor. When you have an emergency, you really don't care who responds. All you want is an ambulance at your front door as quickly as possible."

Seven fire departments currently operate ambulances in Putnam County along with four independent ambulance corps. The fire departments include: Brewster, Kent, Lake Carmel, Mahopac, Mahopac Falls, Patterson and Putnam Lake while the ambulance corps consist of Carmel Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Garrison Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Philipstown Volunteer Ambulance Corps and the Putnam Valley Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

My question is why does it not say anything about Empire State in this article? If Empire State was awarded the contract dont you think it would have said something about that in this article? Did Empire really get the contract or is this all a BIG out of control rumor?

empire Did receive the contract. This article is saying is mostly about how the county is trying to get there own. In my opinion its not going to work. Its going to take away from the voulteers because they are going to say if we don't get a full crew why should we both they are just going to use the als provider to transport.. With them only being staffed 12 hours a day the vols are going to say why should be both doing the rest. I think the county got to think this out alittle better and try to work with the vols and come up with something better

I keep hearing they got it they got it ( Empire ) but I have not seen anything official on paper yet. How do we know they got it? So far all it is is people talking. Why has there not been an official annoucment on paper from the county?

empire Did receive the contract. This article is saying is mostly about how the county is trying to get there own. In my opinion its not going to work. Its going to take away from the voulteers because they are going to say if we don't get a full crew why should we both they are just going to use the als provider to transport.. With them only being staffed 12 hours a day the vols are going to say why should be both doing the rest. I think the county got to think this out alittle better and try to work with the vols and come up with something better

EMS should be treated as a vital service to any and all communities in the county. If the volunteer agencies are unable to fulfill the need, then someone else has to fill the gaps. That is what this plan is doing. If the volunteers use this as an excuse to not get out of bed/work/whatever during the day, then so be it. Waiting around 20, 30, 40 minutes for an ambulance can't be tolerated. Period.

The new Putnam ALS contract is designed to supplement the EMS agencies in the county. Medic 3 and Medic 4 will change to ambulances. Being that they run the most calls and are in the areas where volunteer response times are higher. When the volunteer agency can not assemble a crew in a timely manner, the paid ALS ambulance will handle the call. Hopefully, this will decrease the wait time in some areas before an aided case gets an ambulance.

The only bad side to the story is if the call is BLS and the paid ambulance has to transport, the medic will be out of service temporarily.

The idea is to have the paid EMT ride the call in if a Volly rig can respond with at least a driver and leave the medic in service. In the event of absolutely no response from the Volunteers then the paid bus would transport the patient.

First, I'm glad that the leadership of Putnam finally put rubber to the pavement and made decisions to fix a problem and increase the level of service....well at least 50% anyway. I still don't feel that it is correct to base what they are doing on call volume. While the west side isn't as busy they still do a fair amount of calls and occassionally they do also have to wait. So if I live in the west side I can potentially wait for a transport to arrive vs. if I live on the east side my chances of waiting are much less.

Sounds like a much needed change for EMS in Putnam county, but from what ive read it sounds like the paid bus will only respond in after a volunteer ambulance is unable to get a full crew. With 3 tone-outs waiting for the volunteer bus, will this really reduce response times greatly?

The Paid Bus will always respond for calls that require a medic response since hte paid bus will have the medic as part of the crew.

I work for Empire and we a had a meeting and our boss came out and said that we got the contract for Puntam County. He also said that things will change over in 60- 90 day from when the contract was signed.

Edited by irishfire2491

Only time will tell if the change of flycars to ambulances are working the way they expect.

I think this winter will be a deciding factor, when the medic can't get to an ALS job in one of these ambulances..

I have had it happen in Put Valley more than once, Medic was assigned to a type II ambulance when their 4 wheel drive flycar was out of service, could not make it up some of the roads. Medic had to be picked up enroute, delaying ALS care to the patient.

While it may help transports, it may also delay ALS care.. Stay tuned for the next chapter .....

It is interesting to note that the EAST side of the County will benefit from this new service (perhaps) while the WEST side of the County still has volunteer agencies that have trouble getting out the door. Is the WEST side of the County going to be paying less than the EAST side - I think not!!! If an ambulance on the WEST side can't get out are they going to send one of the paid ambulances from the EAST side?

Don't worry about the winter, though. One of the rumors about Empire State is that they immediately ordered Hummer fly-cars... Sounds like they've got their priorities straight - don't worry about staffing with quality/experienced personnel, run right out and buy the biggest most fuel IN-efficient vehicles possible?

What was PCBES thinking???

It is interesting to note that the EAST side of the County will benefit from this new service (perhaps) while the WEST side of the County still has volunteer agencies that have trouble getting out the door.  Is the WEST side of the County going to be paying less than the EAST side - I think not!!!  If an ambulance on the WEST side can't get out are they going to send one of the paid ambulances from the EAST side? 

Don't worry about the winter, though.  One of the rumors about Empire State is that they immediately ordered Hummer fly-cars...  Sounds like they've got their priorities straight - don't worry about staffing with quality/experienced personnel, run right out and buy the biggest most fuel IN-efficient vehicles possible?

First of all if you did any research you would know that the hummers are H3's which are more cost efficient then the explorers. They burn less gas and are easy to maintain. Unlike the old, beat ones that are in county now. They are also four wheel drive all the time which will help in the winters. And as far as the ambulances they are equipped with chains that will assist in the winters so that the ambulances don't get stuck. And as far as staffing allot of the pc medics are coming on board and the county and empire will test out and screen all new personnel to ensure the best possible staffing. Again someone without the complete facts making statements to upset everyone else. Guys change is not always bad. If you want to know the true facts just stop by empire and we will answer any and all questions.

Don't worry about the winter, though.  One of the rumors about Empire State is that they immediately ordered Hummer fly-cars...  Sounds like they've got their priorities straight - don't worry about staffing with quality/experienced personnel, run right out and buy the biggest most fuel IN-efficient vehicles possible?

"don't worry about staffing with quality/experienced personnel" - Let me get this straight, just because they havent worked in Putnam county (of course the only county in the whole wide world) for a trillion years makes all other Certified Health Care provider lower quality or inexperienced? Perhaps you should step out of your world and understand that there are many experienced people working for Empire. Not to mention about 75% of various Putnam County Volunteer Service Members. You say things with little to no research, or unwillingness to do any, you assume to know facts...which you don't. We have personnel who have over 20+ years in EMS ( of course it wasn't under your supervision so therefor it doesnt count) experience in providing both 911 services and in transport. I find it very sad that anyone could bash personnel as a whole simply due to past troubles of a changed and revamped company.( To which I can list about 10 past problems per ANY Ambulance company throughout this region) You want to be bitter, by all means be bitter but don't assume you could possibly KNOW anything about the current Empire staff. I myself have over 22 years as a health care provider, I have spent many years with two company (over 14, Volunteer and Paid) providing ALS for 911 and I was a flightmedic in the military for many years. So I am positive I have the experience necessary to ensure quality Care..I take offence to your statement. I will put my skills up against any Medic and do as good or if not better job then them. So presume and assume all youd like...but the facts are the facts.

the end!

Why must people always have to bash other agencies? Putnam County is taking steps to change the fact that there was a poor turnout for ambulances. So what if a new paid company is taking over the ALS service? So what if the new company ordered new fly cars? But i find it deploring that the employees of Empire are being made out to be subpar medics with no proof to back it up. The whole point of this post was about the proactive approach Putnam County took to try to solve an EMS problem countywide. Change for the better is good. I know some PC dispatchers personally and how they take multiple calls from a person requesting an ambulance 20+ min after the requested one. To me, that is unacceptable to have to wait that long for medical aid. Can't we all just get along? :(

Why must people always have to bash other agencies? Putnam County is taking steps to change the fact that there was a poor turnout for ambulances. So what if a new paid company is taking over the ALS service? So what if the new company ordered new fly cars? But i find it deploring that the employees of Empire are being made out to be subpar medics with no proof to back it up. The whole point of this post was about the proactive approach Putnam County took to try to solve an EMS problem countywide. Change for the better is good. I know some PC dispatchers personally and how they take multiple calls from a person requesting an ambulance 20+ min after the requested one. To me, that is unacceptable to have to wait that long for medical aid. Can't we all just get along?  :(

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE, AND THE STAFF AT EMPIRE ALL AGREE TO NO LONGER PARTICIPATE IN THIS TYPE OF FORUM.. I WISH EVERYONE LUCK AND GOOD FORTUNE.... YOUR FRIENDS AT EMPIRE STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's get something straight here. Bashing of ANY agency is not tolerated on this board. I'm sick of reading topics about Putnam County EMS, and seeing members bash various agencies, often using hear-say and rumors to fuel their posts, with no constructive intent other to advertise their biased opinion, , especially those members who hide behind a screen name.

If you want to bash a specific agency and/or person, find another board. It's not going to continue on here. If anyone chooses to continue it, their posts will be deleted, and posting privledges will be suspended.

This topic is now locked, and is remained so this and the rebuttal to the bash can be read.